Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How low can you go

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rereaves, Apr 8, 2019.

1. rereaves

rereaves

20190407_085137.jpg 20190407_090641.jpg After 5 years of working on my Model.A getting closer to having it on the road. It sets on 32 rails and I like the low stance vs. high boy look however a bit concerned about HOW LOW CAN YOU GO and still drive without issues? Currently the bottom of the frame rail below the door is 5"above pavement. Should I increase the height to avoid hanging up on speed bumps or approach on angle and maintain the look I like?

2. I think 5" should be OK, but avoid places with bumps that high. I would check to make sure there's nothing below the scrub line for safety's sake, and your state may have that as a requirement as that's fairly common (although not always enforced).

Haven't you asked this question once before?....

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Try to keep about 3" to your below frame bump stops above the rear axle.

4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I like to say 6" for a street driven car, and a little more better. Gary

5. rereaves

rereaves

Thanks for feedback, no I have not ask before

6. goose it right at the speed bump and bounce across it
    fun fun

car looks cool

7. You can cheat a little by raising the cross member and, lowering the grill. I'm on my second one.:rolleyes: lol But at least they're easy to come by. :) You may want to add a Raccoon catcher on the front too! 111.jpg

8. oj

oj

How much clearance is there under the oil pan & flywheel/flexplate cover? they're generally lower than the frame.

9. fuzzface

fuzzface

A friend when he builds them he puts a 2x4 on top of a 4x4 and then sets the frame on top and starts building from there. Of course they are not true to the size anymore so that gives him around 5.5". when done he pulls out the 2x4 and if it bottoms out on the 4x4 he fixes it, if it doesn't he his done.

I only seen him start out this way once but he claims that is how he has done it for years. Normally when I see his builds he usually has them almost done, just wiring, interiors, etc. when he shows them to me.

didn't really think about how he does it like that but I just saw it done very similar to that on tv recently building what we don't talk about here and thought of him and now I see your post with similar numbers.

10. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

5" should be fine, but be aware that there is no more straddling dead squirrels and skunks in the middle of your lane. They will get caught and go along for the ride.....

11. Ziggster

Ziggster

My build is going to be around 4.5" to 5" to lowest point which is the oil pan. I did some research a few months back and there are plenty of production cars with clearances that are lower. Mercedes actually tops the list with many of their models.

12. rereaves

rereaves

Thanks appreciate the comment

13. rereaves

rereaves

Interesting I didn't think they were that low.

14. rereaves

rereaves

I can't wait to go for a ride. I will try to avoid the skunks, thanks for feedback

town sedan likes this.
  15. rereaves

rereaves

Thanks interesting read

16. rereaves

rereaves

I think 4", I just took it off the blocks I was using during assembly to get a better look at stance and this hit me in the face "Is it too low"

17. rereaves

rereaves

Thanks everyone for feedback. When I took the coupe off the blocks I was using during the build this issue raised its head so through I would get some feedback from those who have the experience. This is not the first dummy question I have ask you know "there is a price to pay for experience "

18. I aim for 5" to the lowest point and try like hell to make sure that lowest point is not the oil pan. Oil pan dents happen but haven't seen them ripped off if five is the law
    A skid plate saves a bunch of grief

19. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I came around a corner once and hit a snapping turtle, dammmm

20. oj

oj

If you have new springs it is going to settle quite a bit. We're in the same boat, mine's 4" at the oil pan too and I can't raise it up any higher.

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’ve driven about a dozen cars daily that were around 4 inches at the lowest. Most of them that was the frame or the rockers, so not a single point you can kinda avoid when approaching an obstacle.

I never really had issue with it unless I came across a mountain of a speed bump. Lived in an apartment complex one that has bumps so tall it would rip the running boards off a monster truck. Lol.

I think your fine, just be aware that your down low

22. The car in my avatar has 3" of ground clearance at the frame rails just behind the front tires. I sectioned the oil pan and pickup.
    Roadster finished 8-17-08 002.jpg Roadster finished 8-17-08 003.jpg

Tim likes this.
  23. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Just a follow up, consider all you scrub lines as well. A fellow I know was driving his 32 Ford tub the other day and hit a bump in the road and it clipped his oil pan drain bolt, ripping the pan open. He'd been driving the car for years without any issues and clocked up many miles, just bringing it to your attention. In addition there are mandatory rules that we need to comply with, these determine road clearances based on vehicle wheelbases:-
    • 72" to 120" - 4:;
    • 120" to 144" - 5"; and
    • 144" to 168" - 6"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    town sedan likes this.
  24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Forgot to add, a skid plate under the engine might be a good idea. I know its too late now, but try to keep everything you can above the bottom of the frame rails. I put cut-down wheelie bar wheels on the inside of my lower 4-bar mounts in the front of my little red truck. They are really worn now, and most of the time I don't hear or feel them hit. But the tranny pan is still in good shape - that is the lowest part of the engine assembly. Here is a car I really, really like built by Eric Eischen. I'd raise the nose a little, but that's it! Gary
    [​IMG]
    https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1929-ford-coupe-the-eischen-factor/

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    patmanta and The37Kid like this.
  25. spanners

spanners

Our engineer doesn't allow any component to be lower than 4" or an upright ciggy packet. If a tyre deflates nothing but the rim contacts the road surface.

town sedan likes this.
  26. rereaves

rereaves

That's ugly, did you hurt the turtle LOL
    Man that's a nice looking coupe, wheelie wheels may be necessary.

27. rereaves

rereaves

Thanks for feedback

28. rereaves

rereaves

I have been involved with cars most of my 73 years however this is my first build. I will have to say the build "so far" has been a real pleasure. Meeting and communicated with a lot of really talented folks. Hope to get this little coupe on the road by this fall.

Thanks again for all the feed back looks like I will try to get it about 1" higher. The oil pan is 4" above ground [less oil pan bolt]. Most everything else is above the frame rail. In addition to oil pan I need to look at steering linkage. Just another challenge for a rookie.

29. rereaves

rereaves

Man that is a nice build, gotta be proud of this one. Thanks for feedback