Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How to identify rear end

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by JayChicago, Apr 6, 2019.

1. JayChicago

JayChicago
    from Chicago

Recently bought a 37 Ford street rod out of an estate sale. No file/paperwork came with the car. Tried to get some info from the families of the two previous owners, but no luck with either of them. So now when I work on something I have to first figure out what I'm dealing with. For instance, something as simple as replacing rear brake shoes, what shoes do I order?

It has an open drive shaft rear end with drum brakes, but what make/year was the donor car? How can I identify the rear end? Not just the differential, but the whole thing, including brakes?

2. A photo might show us more

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. Gray Ford

Gray Ford
    from Illinois

useless without pictures.jpeg Wait ...I'll do it ....

RATS..Late Again ....

LOU WELLS, stillrunners, BigO and 2 others like this.
  4. Always an issue when you didn't build the car.... Easiest method will be to post pics here, somebody will know.

5. JayChicago

JayChicago
    from Chicago

Here are some pics:

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      52 KB
      Views:
    • 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      34.7 KB
      Views:
    • 03.jpg
      03.jpg
      File size:
      33.8 KB
      Views:
    • 04.jpg
      04.jpg
      File size:
      44 KB
      Views:
    • 05.jpg
      05.jpg
      File size:
      55.4 KB
      Views:
    mgtstumpy and BigO like this.
  6. JayChicago

JayChicago
    from Chicago

Also I see this cast in the differential front yoke housing, best as I can read it: D2SW-C

And the tag on the differential:
    WEW-C........4JB
    3....50....9....742C

Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  7. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think it needs brake shoes at the moment, but it does need the brake drums to not be painted red. And, more pics would be nice.

Good luck with the little car, there is a wealth of information hanging around here.

-Abone.

BigO likes this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Ford 8 inch if you can access the lower bolts that secure the third member with a socket and ratchet.

9. Common stuff.... Ford 9", looks like a late '50s housing, small axle bearing ends, brake parts will be late '50s/60s Ford, about all you'll need to know is drum diameter/width to get brake shoes and a hardware kit. What you have has a fair number of miles left in it.

Hnstray and stillrunners like this.
  10. 31aford

31aford
    from az

Looks like a 58-59 nine inch

11. The tag numbers don't make sense... The cast number D2 is 72 date, The housing looks like 58-9.

I believe the axles are also 31 spline by the "dimple" as I call it in center of hub

12. big john d

big john d
    from ma

9 inch ford 28 spline axles you may be able to read the numbers off the brake shoe side and get exactly what you need

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    427 sleeper likes this.
  14. JayChicago

JayChicago
    from Chicago

Thank you all for your feedback. Yes, now that I pulled the drums to take pictures, the brake shoes look good, both sides. And yeah, removing the red paint is on my to-do list.

I got better light in there and re-read the differential tag. I revised my earlier post above. Tonight I will go to the referenced diyford.com site and see if it makes sense now.

The cast number on the front of the differential still seems to me to read D2SW-C.

15. Ineteresting….

WEW-C Ford E200 Van '68-'74 3.50 9 in

Normally a Van has a real sto0pid offset But the D2 casting make sense for just the third member

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The axles are out of an 8", you can tell by the depression in the end, and I would guess the backing plates and drums are as well. If you can get an overall width measurement, it should be easy to figure out the original application.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    RICH B likes this.
  18. squirrel

squirrel

measure the brake shoes, see what that size shoe was used on, using a site like rockauto.com

It's likely a mixture of parts.

Rich S. likes this.

19. I just dealt with that at work.. The center section was from a mustang and the brakes was from a Maverick on this guys roadster…

Maverick ONLY drums what a mess. According to the work interchange

I didn't look thru the "bible " yet

20. Yep, it's a mixture of bits, so I'll doubt that you'll find a 'original application'. But there's nothing there that will be hard to find in terms of repair/replacement parts. 9" and 8" 28 spline small bearing axles can be interchanged as long as the brake backing plates follow the axle 'offset'.

21. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"Recently bought a 37 Ford street rod out of an estate sale. No file/paperwork came with the car."

I'm surprised nobody's said it yet, but maybe don't spend any money or effort on that car until you get it registered (or whatever it's called in your state) in your name.

22. JayChicago

JayChicago
    from Chicago

"No file/paperwork came with the car" just means I didn't get any record of the build, no receipts/pictures/notes/etc. that should have stayed with the car. I did get good title, with VIN matching the original serial number stamped in the frame.

classiccarjack and s55mercury66 like this.
  23. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Okay, that's good news.

24. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

As a side issue since that housing doesn't have a filler plug on the rear, check the pumpkin for a filler plug in the side. Had a friend build a 9" for his 32 with similar housing and only realised that the filler plug boss on the pumpkin was blank and hadn't been drilled and tapped for an NPT plug. Just saying, he had to remove an axle to fill with oil. However then he had no way to check the oil level, He later swapped pumpkins over to one with a removable bung so he could check oil levels.
    upload_2019-4-7_15-21-37.png

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  25. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Small point, maybe, I don't recall ever seeing or seeing a discussion over the use of pieces of box section as pictured as lowering blocks. Might be susceptible to being crushed. Maybe not. Admittedly it does appear to have a pretty substantial wall thickness, but it is still nevertheless an unsupported rectangle.

Chris

26Troadster and mgtstumpy like this.
  26. That sure looks like an 9-inch Ford to me. But the easy check is to see if you can get a socket on those lower bolts for the third member. If you can, it's an 8-inch; if you need to use a wrench, it's a 9-inch. In addition, the ribs on the third member also look 9-inch like. 8-inch have a bunch more ribs, at least the ones i am familiar with seeing.

Concur that it has 8-inch like axles, probably the 28 spline small bearing which are able to interchange with 9-inch small bearing.

Agree, although those blocks are also really more like spacers since it is spring under and they are functioning as lowering blocks. The main forces are trying to stretch the U-bolts, when a large bump in the road moves the suspension. Given the wall thickness of the blocks vs height, I don;t think it will ever have a problem. Welding caps on the ends would be an easy fix.

Hnstray likes this.
  27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That tag may not belong to that axle or diff. It may have just been put on due to it having the correct ratio on it. No way that is an 9" out of a van, it looks like a 8" out of a mid sized car. As was stated, the lower two bolts on the chunk can only be taken off with a wrench, not a socket, because the pinion sits lower and blocks those two studs. D2 on the housing is 72, I think Maverick 8", which is a popular swap due to it's width. The chunk could be out of anything, but it is a post 67 model because that is when they changed the drain plug from the housing back, to the carrier chunk.

I've got a 66 Fairlane rear under my car, it has the plug on the rear of the housing, my chunk came from a 74 Maverick, plug on it, so I have two fill plugs I can use.

29. squirrel

squirrel

the shape of the housing (viewed from the rear) is 9", the 8" would look more "square".

Hnstray likes this.
  30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

If you would just try and put a socket/ratchet on those lower bolts we could put all the speculation to rest at least as to whether it is an eight inch or nine inch rear.

427 sleeper likes this.