Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 Fuel tanks

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Model A Mark, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

Hey guys, I was just wondering how many people actually run the stock location fuel tanks on a 33 / 34 ?
    I have my first 34 and I sure like the look of the rear mounted tank, but damn, Im kinda scared some punk kid is gonna look up from texting and rear end me ..
    Chances of the fuel tank going boom ?
    So if you run your fuel tank in the trunk, what type tank you running, and can I see some pictures …
    Thanks ...

2. Stock fuel tank from Drake. No problems except you have to be careful to not fill it totally full or gasoline can weep out around the cap under hard acceleration. My solution was to place a black athletic wrist wrap around the filler neck at the cap. I've heard the newer Drake tanks have a baffle in the filler neck to correct the problem. I've been in some heavy traffic at Columbus, Louisville, York, etc. and don't worry about the possibility of a rear-end collision. If you worry about such things, you'll never drive and enjoy the car!

Jim

34 Ford outside #2.jpg

jd34delivery and Texas Webb like this.
  3. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

That car is beautiful Jim, thanks for the input,

The Hot Rod Grille likes this.
  4. 392

I’ll second that ^ It sits and looks spot on.

The Hot Rod Grille likes this.

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

32 ford tank in my 34 avatar.
    upload_2019-4-7_10-53-38.png

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  6. ROBRAM

ROBRAM

I think the best place for the fuel tank is where it was originally. As far as safety goes, you're only going to be a few feet away from the tank no matter where it's located.

7. One sweet ride Jim.
    I like that rear bumper. Yours in particular, what is it from.? What rear shock brackets are you using? I need to find a set for my 34.
    Thanks,
    B-O-B

8. Thanks guys for the nice comments on my '34 Coupe. The bumper is a 1934 Ford truck bumper. The shock mounts and a lot of the other suspension parts are from Chassis Engineering. The chromed shocks came from Speedway. The car was built by John MacDonald of Charlotte, NC over 25 years ago. I've owned it since 1999 and redid it several years ago after an incident involving the NSRA safety inspection tent at Louisville that collapsed onto the car.

Jim

9. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Stock location - stainless steel from Rock Valley. What Hot Rod Grille said.

Attached Files:

10. Wow! Jim, your 5W is stunning. Thanks for the inspiration for my '33. If I can live long enough.

As to Mark's question, seems like one option would be a vertical, rectangular tank in the trunk, with a bulkhead between it and the seating area. You would have some "crush" area to absorb the hit. TANKS makes a universal style like that.
    Can't get the link to work, try their website for specs.

11. hotrodman303

hotrodman303

12. hotrodman303

hotrodman303

13. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

What tail lights are those hotrodman ?

14. hotrodman303

hotrodman303

Model A Mark likes this.