Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Creative dash knobs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barn Hunter, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

There is no hijacking as far as I'm concerned....the purpose is to see how creative we can be. Lots of good information as far as techniques and supplies. Hope we see more. Keep 'em coming.

2. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

Thanks E! It was only a few months ago that I first used a drill press to turn this shift knob for my truck, and I thought this was the perfect time to share the process with the Hambers who might want to turn their own knobs.

This first knob was made from Russian Olive Burl inlaid with jade and brass.

[​IMG]

I was interested to see your photo showing the set screw and bushings used to mount the knobs.
    [​IMG]

I was sitting here last night puzzling over the best way to mount my new knobs so that I could one day remove them if I need to pull the switches out of my dash for repair. Today I went to the local hardware store to find a tiny shaft collar with a set screw that I could use for a couple of the switches. I'm intrigued to see that Cal Custom actually threaded a set screw right into the plastic. I'm finding that I need to be creative about how to mount the knobs to the various switches, since some are toggles, some rotate and some are pushbuttons. I'll photograph my dash setup when I get farther along.

3. Hey Ted,
    Most of the time a hole drilled with a set screw tapped in the side has worked for me. Every once in a while I've had to do something different.
    I've used brass inserts like some guys have mentioned, as well as soft steel or aluminum ones if I can find them.
    If I can't find one of those that works, another alternative I've used is a nylon bushing. You can get these at most hardware stores. I get the ones that are hollow in the middle. If a switch has threads on it, I'll get the pitch and then use a tap and die to put threads on the inside. I then test fit the bushing on the switch to make sure it threads on ok.
    Once that is done, if the teardrop knob hasn't been drilled for a mounting hole, I'll drill one. If it already has a hole, I check to see if the bushing will fit in the hole. If not drill until the bushing slides inside.
    After the bushing fits in the knob, I take the bushing out to the car and screw it on the switch. I set the switch to where it will be when on, i.e. a rheostat, then I take a fine tip Sharpie and draw a line showing center from end to end on the bushing.
    I then take the bushing back off and use epoxy to mount the bushing in the knob. I put the bushing in the knob with the Sharpie mark centered and facing up in the knob however I want to mount it. With a teardrop knob I always mount them the way Mr. Hirohata did--basically the knob sitting sideways. I put a little JB Weld Qwik inside the hole of the knob with a Q-tip stick with the swab end cut off, and then I spread a little more on the bushing end that will go in the knob hole first. It doesn't take a whole lot of epoxy to do the job. Little is better than too much, other wise the epoxy oozes out of the hole when you slide the bushing in and you have a mess on your hands to clean up while you are playing beat the clock before the epoxy hardens. Ask me how I know (lol)!
    You also have to take care that no epoxy gets in the center hole and on the threads of the bushing. It can clog up the threads so you can't spin it on the switch and you have to re-thread it. Also if the epoxy gets on the threads and you spin it on the knob before the epoxy dries, the epoxy hardens on the threads of the switch and makes it so it can't be removed. You just have to be careful and take your time and this shouldn't be a problem.
    Pretty simple really, but it works! E

4. Hey guys, another cold day in Denver, so since there was no work today and all the snow shoveling was done, I thought I'd make a knob today and do something creative instead of just sitting around and watching videos or reading for next Tuesday's W.E.H.T.
    The last few days I've been digging through my precut plexi squares, and my color selection is lacking. I went to the plastics place a few days ago and had them cut a few different thicknesses of clear, and some white. I'm really going to have to figure a way to start cutting this stuff myself. Even though I gladly pay the fee they charge me for cutting the sheets into little squares, the guys always get a "pained" look on their faces when I come through the door. I don't want to say negative things about a good company that I've done business with for years, but bad business practices set me off. Rant over..........
    Anyway, I thought I would show everyone how I do this in pictures. It's messy work, and can be time consuming, but I enjoy doing it. Regrettably, I just don't seem to find enough time to do it more often. I'm planning on making more of these from now on. Eventually I'd like to have a couple hundred of these knobs all ready to go when a new custom project comes along. So, here we go..........

Here is the group of squares that I used to make the knob as well as my template. One is yellow, two are baby blue and two are white. I've been trying to come up with some interesting color combinations, but again, my color supply is pretty limited right now. These squares are approximately 1 inch wide by 2 inches long.

IMG_2187.JPG

Next is the stack of squares all glued together. You have to remove all the paper coating except for the outer two squares.

IMG_2188.JPG

Here is the template on top of the stack, just before I trace around it with a pencil.

IMG_2189.JPG

Here is the template, a shaped stack from years ago that I haven't finished shaping yet, and today's stack with the template laid out on it before I get to shaping.

IMG_2190.JPG

Here is my little "workshop". I have a Black and Decker Workmate that my Grandpa gave to my Dad years ago for Christmas. My Dad never used it, so he gave it to me long ago and I've been using it for years doing various projects. If you ever see one at a yard sale or flea market, I recommend picking it up. I love mine!
    I have an old Blue Point buffer laid on its side and strapped to a 2X4 with heavy duty zip ties. I have to use larger woodworking style clamps to hold it to the Workmate. I can't clamp it in the Workmate as it leaves no clearance for the buffer to spin and shape the knob. I've been doing it this way for a long time and it works great.

IMG_2191.JPG

Here's a few things you'll need. I use a 36 grit wheel to start the shaping, then after the shape is pretty close, I switch to a 120 grit wheel. It removes a lot of the deep 36 grit scratches and takes more material off slowly so the knob's shape can't get away from you. I also use a mask since breathing the dust isn't good for you, and some eye protection. I also keep a tap and die handy, as well as set screws, allen wrenches and other things for mounting that I won't cover here. I also keep a cold drink handy for breaks every so often.

IMG_2192.JPG

Ok, been shaping for a few minutes, and you can see the rough teardrop shape, as well as the colors from the side.

IMG_2193.JPG

IMG_2194.JPG

A little more shaping and you can see the "egg" shape starting to appear. This is just before I took off the paper protective coating.

IMG_2195.JPG

In this picture, you can see how I work from the center laminate outwards. I do one side at a time as I've found it's easier to keep the shape even this way. I try to get one side exactly how I want it, then start on the other side and work it until the sides match.

IMG_2196.JPG

In the next two pictures, you can see I have the sides pretty close, and the true teardrop shape is really starting to show.

IMG_2197.JPG

IMG_2198.JPG

Now I switch the 36 grit wheel to the 120 and more shaping, shaping, shaping.

IMG_2200.JPG

Here the shape is very close, but you can see the flat surface is still shiny. This is where I run the flat shiny edge on the wheel so it has an overall dull finish. I didn't used to do this, and polish around the shiny part, but doing it that way left the shine uneven after I polished it, and was more of a hassle than just polishing the whole knob. This is a little more work, but doing it this way the knob turns out much better.

IMG_2201.JPG

Shaping's all done! The whole knob is shaped and dull and ready for sanding to get all the scratches out and then final polishing.

IMG_2202.JPG

I then sand the knob three times. Once with 180.

IMG_2203.JPG

Then 320..........

IMG_2204.JPG

And then 400.

IMG_2205.JPG

Sanding's all done, now into the home stretch. I don't have a place to permanently set up my bench polisher right now, so I use my trusty Dremel with a small cloth polishing wheel on it and a big block of green polishing compound from the truck stop. I've had this block for years and I've used less than half of it so far. It goes a long way.

IMG_2206.JPG

Here you can see the knob is dull and ready to polish.

IMG_2207.JPG

I usually run the Dremel on the 3 or 4 setting. You can try to go faster, but the heat builds up more quickly and you risk burning the knob and ruining it. I usually polish it a number of times, stopping between coats and cleaning it with a soft terry cloth towel and check for dull spots I might have missed. Here are a few pictures of the knob all polished.

IMG_2208.JPG

IMG_2209.JPG

Once you're happy with the finish and all the dullness is gone and it's nice and shiny, you're all done--that is except for cleaning up the mess and hitting the shower! Hope you guys enjoyed my Friday afternoon knob project. Thanks for checking it out! E

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  5. Very cool, thanks for posting that.

OG lil E likes this.
  6. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Finished product looks great. Thanks for the how-to lesson!

OG lil E likes this.
  7. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Some awesome dash knobs on this thread. Anyone else got some unique or custom ones to show?

8. 41 C28

41 C28

Not as creative as previous post but it worked for me. My ceiling fan/ turn signal lever 1.jpg turn signal lever 3.jpg JB Weld turn signal lever knob.

9. ChefMike

ChefMike

what a great idea thanks for including the link !

[​IMG]

I tried working with the stuff as soon as it arrived, and made a set of scales for a straight razor (far left). The stuff is dead easy to shape and polish.

I ordered a box of 35 pen blanks from this site. Each is 7/8 by 7/8' and 5.25" long. (standard pen blanks are a bit narrower) I didn't pick the colors, as they sell the boxes cheap to get rid of closeout items. But they sent me five sticks each of seven different colors, so I can make a set of dash knobs in any color they sent. They also sell a "project blank" that is 1.5" by 1.5" by 6" long, which is large enough for a couple shift knobs or other larger items.

Thanks for the suggestion, 31Apickup!

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/6/6845/Pen-Makers-Choice-Box-of-Acrylic-Pen-Blanks[/QUOTE]

Barn Hunter, loudbang and 41 C28 like this.
  10. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

[/QUOTE]
    What are you using to shape and polish? Those razor scales look great!

loudbang likes this.
  11. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

[​IMG]
    No I didn't make it but it's my new shiftier knob.

12. I'm going for a H. G. Wells, Howard Hughes cockpit kind of flavor with my '52 Chevy truck project. The dash is a perfect backdrop so with the addition of some "just right" seats and steering wheel, the dash knobs will be the cherry on the cake details to kick it up a notch . My plan is to use these brass medallions attached onto chrome, stainless or aluminum biscuits ("What ever you do, don't say the word 'billet'!")

DSCN0037.JPG

Barn Hunter, Kume, Okie Pete and 2 others like this.
  13. certainly not the most creative, but I needed bezels for my dash switches and turned to plastic.
    [​IMG]
    I used 1/8" plexiglass in a couple colors, dark and light blue. I used a hole saw to make the disks, 1-1/8" and 1". With the 1/4" hole in the center, I ran a bolt through them and spun them with a drill, and using various grades of sandpaper smoothed them out, and mounted them. Did four in a couple hours. they are temporary as I plan to get some machined and Ni plated along with the knobs; but that is a longer term project. For now they fit reasonably, look OK, and are much better looking than direct mounted switches without bezels.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  14. an addition to my post #104. I added a similar design turn signal knob, a larger light blue disk behind larger dark blue disk. Slotted oval head screw to attach
    [​IMG]
    The design is simple, but execution took a number of hours due to no lathe available and the small size of this knob.

15. lkphoto

lkphoto

16. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

The plexi idea RussB has is pretty cool and creative

Russ B and loudbang like this.
  17. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great thread . Thank you everyone for sharing you knowledge and pictures.

Barn Hunter, quick85 and loudbang like this.
  18. Since Spring is finally here I'm hustling to finish a few winter projects. Once the weather warms up I'm usually outside doing stuff instead of sitting in my dark basement working.
    I'm digging up this old thread to share what I've been up to. Here's some of the knobs I'm currently working on. The knobs I'm posting with pictures right now are pretty much done. I have another set I'm working on for a friend that are almost finished. I'll post pictures of those once they're done.

This first set is for my friend's off topic Buick Roadmaster. I made him a set a few years ago that looked great, but last year he decided he was going to go with pink scallops on his car. The knobs I made didn't go with the car too well, so I decided to make a new set that match his car better. These have pink in them where his old ones had black. He'll get these next month for his birthday.

Mitch's BD Knobs set 2a 3-2019.JPG

Mitch's BD Knobs set 2b 3-2019.JPG

This next little project isn't really a knob, but I used the same process to make it. In my "late model" Mercury, I decided I need to install a water temperature gauge for summer time cruising and road trips. The car doesn't lend itself well to adding aftermarket gauges, so I had to come up with a place to put it. Under my ashtray are my air gauges for my air suspension. Below that I've already mounted a tachometer on the floor. Hard to explain, but you get the idea. There is a small space under the air pressure gauge panel that a small water temp gauge mounted in a PVC tube would work perfect. I took a 1 1/2 inch gauge and mounted it in a tube. It will be next to the tach. I needed something to tilt the gauge up so I could see it better, and put pressure on the gauge panel to hold it in place. I made this little gizmo that should do the trick. This little what ever you want to call it took a lot longer to make than I thought. I had to cut out squares, cement them all together and then shape them. Once that was done they sort of looked like a roll of pennies. That's when the real work started. I had to make the dip in the middle. I marked where I wanted the curved part to be and then started grinding it out with my Dremel. Grind, check the angle against the tube, grind, check, grind and on and on. THREE hours later I got the shape where I wanted it. I went through the sanding brigade and then polished it. This goofy little wedge thingie took just over 10 hours to make! Man, the things we do to cars, huh?
    Here are the pictures of it by itself, then with the gauge in its pod.

In the pictures the wedge looks like it's blue and white but it's not. It's purple and white. My camera just couldn't get the color right.

Gauge bracket a 4-19.JPG

Gauge Bracket b 4-19.JPG

In the next picture you can see the "cut out" section isn't sanded and polished. I left it that way on purpose. It would be way too slippery all dolled up and polished to hold the tube in place. Besides, I might end up having to glue it to the tube. Either way, once the pod is mounted it won't be seen.

Gauge Bracket c 4-19.JPG

Here's the gauge pod on the wedge. I still have to paint the pod. The white has to go. I'm leaning towards satin black, but that could change.

Gauge Bracket d 4-19.JPG

A while back I made an emergency brake release handle for the Mercury. I used the purple and white acrylic in the striped pattern then, so I made the little "Wedgie" to match. Here's a few pics of the e-brake release handle before I put it on the car.

E Brake a 2-17.JPG

E Brake b 2-17.JPG

E Brake c 2-17.JPG

I hope you enjoyed the revisit back to an old dash knob thread. Talk to you later. E

Okie Pete, Barn Hunter, jnaki and 8 others like this.
  19. nickleone

nickleone

Okie Pete likes this.
  20. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Geez, you guys are artists!

OG lil E likes this.
  21. nickleone

nickleone

Shot gun shell knobs

Nick

22. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I put a new wiring harness in the old beater. It came with a new light switch, the knob was billit alum. I took the lid off a bottle of pop (black) filled it with silicone and stuck it on.

Okie Pete and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  23. testdepth

testdepth

I owned a hand made Bowie knife that had the scale material made from laminated blue jeans. Make your own Micarta

24. testdepth

testdepth

25. testdepth

testdepth

Looks like that buzzard from Bugs Bunny.

26. HOLLYWOOD41

HOLLYWOOD41

Way too much time on my hands. I wanted to keep the 37 Cabriolet with Caddy and T-5 as period as possible but still have safety in mind SO... I cut the stock throttle knob shaft and made a bracket that holds two micro switches and a toggle behind the dash. I then cut down the choke knob shaft and drilled it out to run a length of fiber optics to light up the O in CHOKE. It comes from a can used for optics from a old caddy. The switc IMG_0450.JPG h mech is a motorcycle unit with a timed cancel. Twist the throttle knob in the direction you want and it blinks. One turn, so much time, turn twice, double the time.

27. HOLLYWOOD41

HOLLYWOOD41

Not sure it went through.

28. Ok guys, back for an update. I promised that I would post pictures of the other knobs I was working on, so here they are..........
    I made a set for my good friend and fellow Metalflake Misfit @PasoJohn for his birthday. Well, today was his day and the knobs arrived in time and since he's opened his birthday package now I can share them with you.
    These are going on his awesome '64 Chebby wagon. His car has so many wild colors on it that it was hard to decide what color to make them. I winged it and used red, yellow, orange, white and clear. This set turned out very nice, but man what a job they were! Between the two knobs for my friend Mitch and these ones for John, I had right at 80 hours in them! The tough part is all the sanding to make sure they are smooth as glass with no sand scratches in them. That's where all the time goes. They're still fun to make though! Most of all, John was very happy with them and that makes all the work worth it. Can't wait to see them on the wagon!

John's BD Knobs for Chebby a 3-2019.JPG

John's BD Knobs for Chebby b 3-2019.JPG

Here's a picture of John's crazy 'flaked wagon from last year. He's been working on it making more changes and he's getting close to the finish line, but it's still in the works. Crazy man, crazy! E

John's Wagon Summer of '18.JPG