Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 48 Merc 1/2 ton front end

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by johnrfray, Apr 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. what are you guys using for a front clip for the 48 Merc 1/2 ton,,,, I want disk brakes ,power steering, etc,, maybe drops or bags, its all original now but front disk is a must,, is there a bolt on clip without butchering the truck up.

2. greybeard360

greybeard360

3. Whats wrong with it now?Rebuild,add your disc and steering no butchering needed.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. I had disc brakes and a Mustang master cylinder on mine. I don't remember the origin of the kits but were easily installed. You might check out Ford truck enthusiasts site for more options.

5. old school rodder

old school rodder

I put disc brakes on my 49 M47. Speedway has a Ford kit, same as the Merc truck. Replaced all the front components. I used Posies lowered leaf spring kit, lowers the truck 3" without any steering geometry issues.

6. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I had rebuilt front brakes , King pins , shocks , tie rods and drag link , with a Toyota 4x4 power steering box . It was same as driving a newer truck not one issue that I would have ever swapped to something else . I drove mine daily for 70K miles , , I regret sending it on to a new owner . I still see it from time to time . Give it some serious thinking before you decide to throw away good parts for something else .

7. ok sounds good

1 replace steering box ,, need part number what unit is being used out there
    2 replace front end parts complete
    3 add non power disk brakes part number ?

now for the ass end , need gears that are good on highway...... flathead 8, 3 speed on the floor don't care about take off ,just want the engine to stay under the hood at 80 klms

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  8. 1948-52 Ford F-1 Truck, Power Steering Rack and Pinion Conversion then I don't need a steering box correct?

9. By reading Dave’s post I would say he is recommending that you use the power steering box from a Toyota 4wD pickup-

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Power Steering Box from a 4x4 truck pre 85 vintage . Not a rack and pinion . It works fine as Wine

11. ok im going to do the Toyota box in my 48 ford truck, who can help me out. who has done it?

12. Mid Fifty truck parts sells the bracket or the complete PS conversion kit. Google it.
    PS pump on a flatty may be a bit more challenging....

13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon