Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Quirks or superstitions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smokeybear, Mar 19, 2019.

1. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I have a friend that owns rental houses. Looks in future renters car first thing. If trashy on the inside he won't rent to them. Says that is how they will take care of his rental. Absolutely refuses to rent to them!

dwollam, 31hotrodguy and Gman0046 like this.
  2. mountainman2

mountainman2

They are similar to birth control pills....99% effective. Sorry...you drew the 1%. :(

dwollam likes this.
  3. In the 50's it was "girls with dirty feet put out".

4. Bob K shared your "power of Jesus" and always sported a plastic Jesus on his cars.
    bobknmrbones.jpg

s55mercury66 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Green $$$ works well.

Tomincanada likes this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Politically correct, probably not, smart, absolutely!

7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I first heard that with job interviews, take a peek at their car in the parking lot. All trashed out, maybe look at the other candidate.

At a .mil promotion board with "soldier of the month" competition, two troops were tied, all decked out in their Dress Greens and the rest of it. They'd thrown all the board questions out there like maximum effective range of this and that, and which way the BA-12 batteries are installed in a field phone etc etc, and they were still tied for points.

SGM or somebody on the board started looking again at their uniforms & haircuts, exasperated, said "Are you wearing GI issue skivvies?" "No Sir". Fail!!

8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We do the same with our rentals--always have-was told this many years ago.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. I suppose mine is more OCD than superstitious but when my wife puts dishes in the dishwasher, I always rearrange them so I can get just one more cup/glass/plate in there. She thinks I'm weird and I think she's wasteful...
    And I feel a need to put multiple periods at the end of sentences.....

10. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Doesn't touching each one to your chin before eating count also?

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 49 Chev pickup was that way. U pushed the driver handle forward to lock that door and slid across to passenger door which had the key lock.

LAROKE likes this.
  12. I'm not superstitious or anything, but when I re-heat a cup of coffee in the microwave I don't let the timer stop on 13!:eek:

dwollam and chevy57dude like this.
  13. donno

donno

WOW!!! Lots of these I've heard of. Dot's on the "OLY' labels, green cars, peanuts, really takes me bac

14. When changing the paper in the bird cages.....I leave the obit's out. Bad JuJu.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  15. dave plmley

dave plmley

that's Buddy Christ, I have one on the dash of my car

16. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

When looking for a place to buy gas, I NEVER fill up when the gas tanker is filling the under ground tanks...

17. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

On a drilling rig, cherry pie and chicken on the bone are bad. Not being superstitious, I ate mine with a big smile on my face. I had a tool pusher once tell my derrick hand to dump some drilling fluid when he noticed we had 666 barrels in the system, the company man had a 5 barrel gain/loss alarm set and freaked out when he called up to the floor to see where the fluid had gone. I have seen every other color car crash just as hard as the green ones do, and I walk under ladders a good bit.

18. dan griffin

dan griffin

The first batteries where made with wood cases and over time would seep acid,when enough acid leaked out and mixed with acid from a adjoining cell you had a slow discharge. That's where the block of wood came from. Batteries do not like cold so a peace of wood on a cold cement floor helps insulate the battery.

19. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I store old batteries outside under a bit of cover, with the bottoms wet.
    They work just fine after a winter of this.

gas & guns likes this.
  20. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Years ago I had a real estate agent I hired to sell my house bring a plastic Jesus over and wanted me to bury it in my yard cause they were convinced my house would then sell if I did this. They said it had worked before for them and I had to explain if I believed that I would have hired a gypsy not a real estate agent!

21. bct

bct

I close my eyes when someone tacks something on YouTube.

LAROKE, big duece and Truck64 like this.
  22. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

I cannot look toward a mirror in a dark room....Creeps me out.

23. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-5-1_3-32-44.png
    Hello,

When driving and racing the 58 Impala, I always had my elbow on the door arm rest. That allowed me to not tense up on the steering wheel. The right hand was on the shift lever, first, in the stock Impala, 3 speed column shift, and then when we converted the 3 speed into the C&O Stick Hydro, the lever still needed to be moved for each gear, if necessary. Otherwise, it was just put it in D1 or D2 and stomp on it.
    upload_2019-5-1_3-34-6.png
    In the 1940 Willys Coupe, I got used to the Impala arm rest steering wheel position, but with the LaSalle 3 speed floor shift lever, it was back to the death grip on the steering wheel, while the right hand did the shifting. I got used to the arm rest in the Impala, but on the Willys, it moved so fast and the noise was so loud that the steering wheel just needed to be gripped extra hard for a sense of security.

Jnaki

Since then, the most comfortable steering wheel driving position in both of our family cars, is the left elbow on the arm rest and the left hand rests in the 10 or 9 position. Old habits don’t die as fast as necessary. The right hand is in a secure position on the 2-3 positions when driving on corners and curves. It is hard to get used to a new/old car unless the driving position fits well and allows a sense of security. The arm rest helps a lot.

upload_2019-5-1_3-34-53.png

Elcohaulic likes this.
  24. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I don't own a car without a Blessed Mary statue.. For 45 years she has saved me from the stupid shit I think up while behind the wheel..

25. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Don't get those fingers caught in one of those steering wheel holes.. haha I have.. I just wanted to thank you for your posts, I enjoy them a lot... The 58 was my dream car, your car is fantastic!!! I remember building the blue, AMT version of it...

jnaki likes this.