Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1934 Ford truck seat?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JNKYARDDOG_1, Apr 6, 2019.

1. If you didn't have your original bench seat for your truck.. What bench seat did you use?
    I really do not want to use buckets... And the 3rd seat out of a suburban or even a astro van is to wide...

2. 20190406_081521.jpg In my 36 Chevy pickemup which is a bit wider than a 34 Ford, I used one from a 80s S10. I cut it up and reshaped the frame work, had the foam reshaped to fit and had it covered with black naugahyde. It fits and feels good, a lot better than the original "Springer " that was in it. Early Ranger seat might be a viable candidate also. Just a thought, Mitch.

3. I used on out of a old Datsun but we still had to cut the frame on both end and build to fit

4. I build outta Plywood and cover with foam and material.

Shutter Speed and Frankie47 like this.

5. I narrowed an '84 Ranger seat by 4". I made the cut in the center, welded it back together and used an electric carving knife to cut the 4" out of the center of the foam (don't tell the wife!). I used 3M Weatherstrip adhesive (aka Yellow Death) to glue the foam back together.

Attached Files:

6. Some good xamples guys... That's what I was afraid of cutting a seat down.. I know it isn't the hardest thing in the world to do, Was hoping to get one that the Upholstery was done....

We call that stuff Gorilla Snot !

7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

[​IMG]

This one was from an older 60 van or short bus if I had to guess.
    Still has the metal formed pipe for the legs. Fit perfectly in height and width for my 6’3” frame.

8. "We call that stuff Gorilla Snot !"

We call it Yellow Death because if you get it on your hands it will be there 'til the day you die! :rolleyes::p

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  9. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Outstanding!
    [​IMG]

10. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finding a seat the right width at the rear is not to difficult ,but its the cab taper to the front that the issue by the doors. You dont want a square seat as the rear will be too narrow.
    We found a rear seat out of a Honda City . The back folded forward for storage (minimal) and the base lifted for access to under seat. From memory we cut about 2” each side from the front outside edge frame and nothing at the rear .

11. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

ang-01.jpg don't laugh . i used a futon. ordered for $99. something like this ,only in black. remove legs and cut part of back off.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    Frankie47 likes this.

12. I even thought of that and looked in the local crack heads list for sale ads

13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I know the early trucks got taper at the front but what about an old school bus seat ?

14. That one is sticking out the best so far after seeing the one in post #7

15. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

i think mine was only 36 inches across front bottom. biggest i could get. most s10 's are 44 across. mini van seats only use the middle ones.

16. One reason why I like the seats from a Ford Ranger or an S-10 is that the seatback folds forward to give you a bit of storage room behind the seat. Comes in handy in those cramped little cabs.

17. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Also, the seat tracks sit more inboard compared to the s-10`s. S10`s should tilt forward to.

18. I built a 34 Ford P. U. with 2 in top chop and used a middle seat from 89 turbo Dodge mini van. Had to
    modify legs and seat belt brackets but used ever thing. leather seats folding arm rests, seat belts, even the
    leather off third seat to do door panels. perfect width!

Frankie47 likes this.
  19. Not a direct answer to your question, but on my 49 Ford COE I narrowed a 74 GM pickup bench seat to fit. Kind of like several other previous replies suggested. I took 7 inches out of the middle, and then had it recovered. Works great and is real comfortable. You could do the same with any folding back bench like the S-10 or Ranger. The folding back is nice for extra storage behind the seat.,

20. Went to the Glendale swap meet today man it was PACKED! every spot and then some with vendors.

Thought I got a seat a little dirty but the right look..

20190407_105502.jpg

The width was spot on.. I am 6' even flat on the floor my head was into the roof..

Guess the 4" channel and chop doesn't help matters..

Even got a pair of little "Jump" seat that was part of the deal are too tall

20190407_140752.jpg

The Ol boy that built this truck way back when had a single P51 seat in it...

21. oldcootnco

oldcootnco

I used a seat from a school bus the back is a little tall but the width was correct for the 29 closed cab truck and the price was right, free.

22. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DSC_0007.JPG That button-tufted seat back is WAY too thick. Especially for a 6 footer!
    Same problem with my stock bench in my '30 pu. Back's about 6" thick, bench about 8".

I too am building a wood base the size I need, and covering with 1/2 that much foam.
    Every spare inch is critical, and I'm 5'9".

Crusty Chevy likes this.
  23. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I think those diamond button tuft seats are Model A sedan. The "jump" seats are the front seats and the bench is the rear. If you took some pics of the backs of them, I might be able to verify.

If you dont use them in this project, you should post them for sale on the HAMB. Somebody building an old style Model A will want them.

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  24. I found this crusty Ford van 2nd or 3rd seat sitting beside a dumpster. Cut about 5 inches out of the front of the bottom seat frame. bent it around and rewelded it so it was now tapered. I just reused the Ford foam [after cutting it] and rehooked the cover back on...no seat adjusters or anything fancy like that...just sat on the floor and worked great with the 5 and 1/2" chop... 33interior.jpg