Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cy Kubista's TNT show car- got pictures?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unclescooby, May 17, 2006.

1. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

need pix or info if anyone has any. I may have part of this car.

2. Look at any of the old ISCA Hot Rod Show World Annuals. You should find it there.

3. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Hmmm...looked up ISCA on the net and got International Shrine Clown Association! Not that they don't rock too, but I couldn't find any info on this particular car there. They had some really cool small cars that would seat up to 18 clowns when properly stacked but nothing on the car I'm looking for. Is there a better site for ISCA Hot Rods?

4. Unclescooby, this is the only pic I could find in a hurry.
    Cy'sT was the ISCA 1967-68 international champion, I believe.
    He redid it after this photo with different paint and some god-awful cowl lights.
    I'm sure I later saw it outside, unrestored at Harrah's,many years ago.
    I see Cy and his wife in their motor home, selling memorabilia at most of the large swap meets.
    Mick

Attached Files:

5. maybe he has some? i could PM his phone number

6. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Thanks! If it's there and complete, that answers my question. I just thought it was strange that there were two of those motors. Someone probably copied him.

7. Bob Westbrook

Bob Westbrook

Hi Mick,

I don't know if you still see Cy Kubista anymore...but tell him I said hello if you do. He may not remember me as I was a kid hanging around his gas station in the early to mid 60's. He had a Moss Green 40 Ford Coupe before the "T". I ended up working at that gas station in Elton Hills after he left when I was in High School. I painted motorcycles in high school for friends and I used that same TNT paint scheme on a couple of them.

8. alchemy

alchemy

I saw and chatted with Cy at this summer's Back to the Fifties. He seemed the same.

9. I think his car is for sale on Hot rod hotline on the net. There are some pics there. Pat.

10. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thought I'd bring back a long-dormant thread, just because I can! :rolleyes:
    The Cy Kubista "TNT" was displayed by his son Bob this past weekend at the 61st Toppers Rod and Custom Show in Fargo ND. I got pictures! Then a search on the HAMB brought up this old thread, so here we are. Had a great chat with Bob, and though Cy was there too he was getting ready to leave so I didn't talk to him. As many of you probably know, this car was the 1967-68 ISCA (International Show Car Assn.) season champion. It was built by Cy in the early 1960's and he had sold it but the family was able to buy it back fairly recently from a private collector. Bob told me the paint that's on it now was shot by House of Kolor's Jon Kosmoski. The paint does show its age but does so beautifully. At some point Bob said he'd like to return it to the red color as it was when it won the championship but that may be down the road a ways. For now, it was just fun to see it up close after so many years. :cool:

DSC_2423_1000.jpg

Just a few of the awards the car has won:
    DSC_2425_1000.jpg

Photos from "back in the day", including the "humble beginnings"!
    DSC_2428_1000.jpg
    There are a few more pics of the TNT, along with other Toppers show photos in my online gallery. (Just so you know, there was plenty of O/T stuff at the show so you likely won't see any of those photos here.)

lurker mick and Max Gearhead like this.
  11. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's a scan of a feature on the car as it appeared earlier on, from the May 1965 issue of Car Craft magazine.

TNT_may65CC_1.jpg

TNT_may65CC_2.jpg

lurker mick and Max Gearhead like this.
  12. missysdad1

missysdad1

Such a nice car...in '65. So many really excellent cars/owners got caught up in the show competition thing and were absolutely ruined in the process. The current superstar car is Norm Grabowski's T which has finally been rescued and is being returned to its more humble roots. Might not be a bad route for this one to take as well...

13. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, there was that "wretched excess" show car thing alright. I like the earlier version too and being from Minnesota I love the car's history. But as they say, pick a time period and stick with it. Bob plans to keep it pretty much as-is, which is how it appeared when it won the ISCA championship in 1967-68. And that's a time frame that's outside the scope of this forum so all my thoughts might be moot anyway. :rolleyes:

lurker mick and missysdad1 like this.