Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1958 era model A hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scoop, Apr 6, 2019.

1. scoop

scoop

I have a 1958 283 it is lightly hopped up,I want to build a Model A coupe around it.What would a Model A hot rod look like in 1958?

2. AndersF

AndersF

3. jnaki

jnaki

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...e-of-hot-rodding.1126314/page-3#post-12819027 Model A 1958-59

Hello,

In looking at all of the photos of a Model A, there were those (us) that did not like the Model A without fenders and a 32 shell. The stock grille and the full fenders had enough of a "cool look" to make a So Cal hot rod used at the drags and daily driving. Besides, the great minority of fender less guys were the ones usually stopped by the local police for some vehicle violation or two, back then.

My brother always had ideas running through his head. First, it was buy his cruiser/hot rod and at age 15, he had earned the money. He bought his yellow 1951 Oldsmobile two door sedan before he even had a driver’s license. Everyone got a big chuckle at that smooth move.

But after seeing his friend’s 1934 Ford 5 window coupe become successful at Lions in 1957-58 and become a daily driver to high school, he wanted to build a similar coupe for the street and drags.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/friday-art-show-1-4-19.1135003/#post-12896269 Model A history in Bixby Knolls

We found a nice old Model A growing grass all around the tires, in a neighborhood backyard. Then we bought it, towed it home and started to get it running. It did and it was fun going around the block with a small putt, putt motor sounds coming from the back. But in the two-three weeks we owned the Model A, my brother’s thoughts went to a brand new 1958 Chevy 348/280 HP Impala that was supposed to be the fastest Chevrolet sedan from the factory. So, the Model A went on the back burner and was sold to make way for the new 58 Impala.

Jnaki

But, all of these years later, whenever we got together, the conversation always came back to that Model A for our first hot rod build. We had plans for a 283 SBC, multiple carbs, cam, ported/polished heads, LaSalle 3 speed, etc, all of the stuff to make a cool hot rod coupe and a daily driver. So, the question would have been, “was that Model A going to be my first car or was it going to be that cool yellow 1951 Oldsmobile sedan?

Lime Green 51 Olds sedan painted prior to buying the 58 Impala.

My impression back then would have been to build that street/strip/daily driver as our first build. It was going to be our "first together" build and then the history of our cars certainly would have been a little different. It was a good midnight conversation, but our history became what it was, in our family timeline.