Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Shade tree Model A speedster kind of thing

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rwrj, Nov 21, 2017.

1. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

All right, before I start this, let me tell you that this is my first attempt at any kind of metal panel work. I'm a woodworker. You may remember a while back that a big limb busted my hood. I stuck it back together well enough to keep the rain off, but it was never going to be satisfactory. I could have made another wooden one, but this seemed like a good opportunity to see if I could do anything with metal. The pictures don't really show it, but it has a seam formed by two 90 degree flanges that will be bolted or riveted together, just like the Ford truck hoods from the 40's. That's because of the metal I had available. I'm toying with the idea of putting one of those long brass piano hinges in there, but that might just be too fancy. I know you guys are probably expecting a full shop with a sheet metal brake and all kinds of fancy stuff, but this will be more jack-leggery, I'm afraid. The front and rear edges are folded, just like a stock Model A hood (except sloppier). I debated making the sides straight, so I would have the option of adding side panels later, but I have really grown attached to the swoopty sides, and this way I can still use those dumpster straps and buckles. I am going to have to figure out a way to reinforce those curvy edges. I'm afraid if I try to fold them over, I'll screw it up. Anyway, here are the pictures:

IMG_20190401_110728812 (1).jpg IMG_20190401_120749255.jpg
    IMG_20190401_124906453.jpg IMG_20190401_124856523.jpg

(Don't worry, it's just clamped temporarily. I'll make sure that seam is centered before it's done.)

IMG_20190401_124849782.jpg

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    ratrodrodder, catdad49, brEad and 6 others like this.
  2. why not use some 3/16ths rod tacked about an 1" from the edge? easy to bend to follow the curves and gives some support.

Stogy likes this.
  3. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

I'm thinking along those lines, but maybe some kind of about 1/8 x 1/4 flat, set on edge. Those lower curved edges are really floppy and seem kind of vulnerable, plus they want to bow out because of the different curvatures of the body and radiator. I don't really plan shit out, though. Just kind of piddle around and wait for inspiration.

ratrodrodder, brEad, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  4. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Well, I bit the bullet this morning and made a couple of scrap hardwood bucks that matched that bottom curve, clamped each side between them, and popped a 90 degree flange on each edge. It sure stiffens up those floppy bottom edges. Turns out it was a lot less challenging than bending the ends to match the curvature of the body and radiator shell. I used all kinds of lp tanks, OAC, fire extinguishers, but I still ended up with a few kinks and lines. That side with the air cleaner cut out was the one that didn't want to do right. In retrospect, I should have fitted the other side, then bent the air cleaner side to match it before I cut out the half circle. Hindsight... Some of you metal gurus will be shocked, but it doesn't bother me that bad. I might be able to hammer them out (never done any of that before, either). The last picture is of the busted wooden hood, so this already looks better than that. This whole rig is kind of rough around the edges. I'll probably paint it that same Rustoleum gray. The color and the brush strokes will cover a lot of sins.

IMG_20190402_090253247.jpg
    IMG_20190402_095319725.jpg
    IMG_20190402_095503275_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

5. good job. thin the rusto out a bit and use a sponge roller. slice and tack a piece of 1/2" square tube to capture that air cleaner cut out.

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...mmmm...aluminum...:confused:...or is it?...well whatever it is it's just another cool addition in this fantastic journey in Cool...it looks great @rwrj

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  7. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Nah, just plain old cold rolled steel. I'll make another ball cap bill for the air cleaner. It's pretty much going to be a steel copy of the old wooden hood.

Stogy and dwollam like this.
  8. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Opinions?

IMG_20190404_102050058.jpg

IMG_20190404_103928580.jpg

IMG_20190404_104646740.jpg

IMG_20190404_104655711.jpg
    By the way, before you bust my chops about cutting up a rare piece of history, notice how the bottom edge is rusted through, and that's the good side.

ClarkH, catdad49, patmanta and 3 others like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Spiffy...What is it, an old war helmet?

I mean how can ya bust chops when you don't know what your busting them for...:D...Just kidding...;)...another exercise in your well honed resourcefulness.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  10. the steel hood is a lot better, good job.

11. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

Very cool stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Yeah, Stogy, it's an old GI helmet. Nothing really rare about it, I was kind of kidding about that. I think I like it there better than the old cap brim, but I'm going to give myself a little time to ponder.

Stogy likes this.
  13. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Still not convinced about this. Looks a little too steampunk right now. I think when it's all the same color it will be ok. I know that's a lot of bolts, but the hood metal is pretty thin. I didn't want it kinking if somebody leaned on it or something
    Those are the little brass bolts that hold the glass light shades into the little metal collars on ceiling fans and such, by the way. Washers and nuts on the back.
    IMG_20190405_115303672_HDR.jpg IMG_20190405_115321747_HDR.jpg

I have no idea who this information will be useful to, but for what it's worth, those old helmets are made of really hard steel. Had to give up on drilling holes for the bolts in those little tabs I bent on the back and just cut slots instead. I even heated the tabs red and let them cool to anneal them, still wouldn't drill. Anyway, thanks for looking, feel free to comment up or down.

ratrodrodder, catdad49, BigO and 4 others like this.
  14. pumpman

pumpman

I assume you're going to paint the hood grey and I think that would knock the brass bolt heads back and look good. I think the over all design looks good!

15. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Thank you. Yes, all plain old gray. I am hoping it will all just blend together, too.

dwollam and Stogy like this.
  16. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Looks great.love the hood bump.

17. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Diggin your slow, methodical, pondering approach to things!

I'll bet John Law has never asked you "what's your hurry?" :rolleyes:

Hope you're drivin this cool little Speedster as much as putterin!

brEad likes this.
  18. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see where this is going....
    2 weeks from now You've pounded out a Nice 32 Roadster Speedster
    out some sheets of metal you had lying around.
    ...And all that fancy wood'll be in the Stove keeping you warm...?

Nice Work BTW!

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thumbs Up
    I really like his little backroad goin' round the curve video back a bit...if you haven't seen it check it out...

This One...I really get a kick out of it...
    @rwrj Several of your vid links are dead (pages 7-11) if you could re-enter the links on the posts that would be cool...;)...This video is priceless by the way....

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  20. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Several of your vid links are dead (pages 7-11) if you could re-enter the links on the posts that would be cool...;)...This video is priceless by the way....

Stogy,
    Yeah, turns out my technologically challenged self had accidentally created two youtube channels. I figured out how to consolidate them, but I haven't taken the time to go back and link the ones that were on the channel I deleted. Whew. Just typing that out is exhausting. I'll get to it sooner or later.

Shutter Speed, brEad and Stogy like this.
  21. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

More leftover junk here. This is two 15" sections of aluminum piano hinge, salvaged from the cockpit lockers of an old sailboat. Held together with screws through to a wooden backing strip. I have some hood fitment issues that I'm going to have to look at, though. Probably going to have to re-bend the center edge on each side. It's not lining up quite right with that hinge in there. I'm pretty happy with the overall deal, though.

IMG_20190407_122214343.jpg
    IMG_20190407_122249891.jpg

IMG_20190407_122256093_HDR.jpg

22. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Very nice work!

Stogy likes this.
  23. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Nah, Rusty. Thank you, but its pretty shoddy, to tell the truth. I'm not ashamed of it, for a first effort, but it is what it is. Kind of fits the old girl, though. I went ahead and re-worked the top edge 90 degree bends so that it fit better against the body and radiator shell, so of course they got even sloppier. Hahaaa. Threw together some little metal deals to hold the hinge pin down and beat the snot out of a couple of places where it was still tight, and I'm about ready to call it a job, warts and all. Here are a couple of pictures and a little video.

IMG_20190407_155249267.jpg
    IMG_20190407_155233964_HDR.jpg

24. Wayne67vert

Wayne67vert

When you buckle the hood down, it will be OK.

Stogy and brEad like this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That kind of creativity and rivets and the steel and Helmet were around long before Steampunk...it looks great and no matter what, most of the things we do have to pass a visual okay, even if a basic work in simplicity. I especially like the shot...sort of 3/4 from the front showing the arc of the hood meeting the cover with it's own arc which flows at that angle. To me it just seems everything you've done compliments the look...even the steel hood meets the wood which could easily be mistaken for steel...cool Jalopy/Hotrod/Speedster RW

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  26. You may just think of it as rough but this just keeps getting better and better. You have a great eye for how things should look & fit together. You add form each time you add function and it just works so well visually, too.

ratrodrodder and Stogy like this.
  27. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like your S.T.Speedster. I REALLY like your attitude! Art

Stogy likes this.
  28. dwollam

dwollam

In your video of the hood your air cleaner looks like a smiley face! It's as happy as can be on your cool little speedster! Very cool car. Keep it up.

Dave

oliver westlund and Stogy like this.
  29. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Man, thank you guys. What nice comments. Makes me feel like an air cleaner. Haha

ratrodrodder, brEad and Stogy like this.
  30. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

I went back through and fixed all those dead video links on pages 7-11. That kind of thing isn't my favorite way to spend a morning, but I'm glad I got it out of the way. Thanks to Stogy for pointing out the problem. I'm gimped up today, anyway. Pulled my back a little lifting my neighbor with ALS into the front seat of a giant SUV yesterday. Kind of aggravating, but compared to what she's going through...

Shutter Speed, Stogy and brEad like this.