Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Disc vs drum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr.Falcon64, Mar 31, 2019.

1. my brain was thinking scrub line
    was wondering how you could tell from that angle
    the brakes do look great in the mock up pic

2. Opinion ?!? Hell

3. Well, we've apparently scared off the OP...

The fact remains that drum brakes aren't the equal to discs all else being the same, otherwise new cars would still have them. Back when the playing field in terms of braking performance was more-or-less level, it wasn't that much of an issue but that's no longer true is it...

As has been pointed out, where you drive can have as much bearing on this as how you drive. If you live in the flatlands with low-to-moderate population/traffic density, the OEM drums may be adequate. But I've owned several of these cars, and 'adequate' is a generous description IMO. These were cheap cars, and had cheap brakes as was the practice in those days. I know around here with our hills and traffic density, I'd be looking at a brake upgrade too.

I also think that given all the four-lug cars out there these days, it shouldn't be all that tough to come up with some inexpensive rotors/calipers that could be adapted to the OEM spindles with a bit of imagination.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    Bearcat_V8 and belair like this.
  4. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

OK bad choice of pics, how about this one? thumbnail (1).jpeg

wvenfield likes this.
  5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That doesn't change things. The issue is the scrub radius. You'll need to use wheels with enough offset to overcome it. Those nice TT's aren't gonna do it.

6. Milner beat Falfa with a worse scrub radius
    7DCD8FEB-0087-4D7E-B2CA-99609A58D513.jpeg

Fingers and belair like this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Milner didn't turn.

anthony myrick likes this.
  8. He did several other times in the movie.

9. Ohhhhhh
    Falfa had the millennial falcon right

10. That falcon had zero hydraulic brakes

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  11. belair

belair

Up next....radials vs. bias ply.

12. wisdonm

wisdonm

There is a reason that most airplanes built after the'60 and cars after '70 have discs. As others have said, paying attention is paramount. Everything else on the road will out brake you. Distance is your friend. If you can't afford to swap to Mustang discs, I'd start with a power brake booster, if you don't have one already.

nunattax likes this.
  13. sunbeam

sunbeam

How did we get from brakes to scrub radius did he ask about crome reverse wheels.

Special Ed likes this.
  14. It’s the nature of any thread involving opinions
    So far this thread has avoided which oil to use, the state of this hobby, paint choice, fiberglass/repro bodies .........
    It’s already dipped into movies
    The next topic could be Ginger or Mary Ann

210superair and belair like this.
  15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Why not both? Embrace the power of "And"!

16. Did you get lost or you forget where you are?

town sedan likes this.
  17. Still no response from the "OP"

Think he got lost in the mumble jumble...

Or was it Brain Freeze

18. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

My pizza cutters are for local shows. I also have a set of TT's, 15"x 6" with a better offset with small radials for everyday driving, which I plan to do a lot of since retiring. Oh yeah to add to the fun, my coupe is fiberglass, and I'm a retired aircraft mechanic!!

Special Ed likes this.
  19. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

It is a shame too, All he wanted was some tech info. Falcon if your still out there, Your car as I understand it is a 6 cylinder with 9" brakes which to the best of my knowledge having been a Ford and Mustang guy for over 45 years means it is 4 lug as well. To the best of my knowledge there are no disc brake kits available for 6 cylinder spindle 's The Falcon and Mustangs as well as early Comets are the same. You would have to source a set of v8 spindles and get the disc kit for them. But you will also have to change Ball joints because the are different as well as a disc / drum dual master cylinder, and proportioning valve, as well as up grade to a 641/2 to 66 V8 8 " Mustang rear to gain 5 lug rear wheels and matching wheel cylinders to the proportioning valve. For now rebuild your stock brakes the best you can and pretend your riding one of my Harleys and drive like your life depended on it! Up date the car as you can afford it and enjoy. People die everyday driving 4 wheel disc, abs cars. Just be careful out there! Larry

20. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Well there you go. Learn something new everyday. Must be something that has come about the last few years. Last mustang catalog I looked at was probley 6 years ago when I was doing a 68 Shelby . Use to be nobody would waste their time on 4 lug stuff . lol Times have changed I guess. Larry

anthony myrick likes this.
  21. Same here

22. bonneville bones

bonneville bones

Properly installed, adjusted and bled drum brakes work great! ... but they’re never as good as disk brakes. Use your head and learn how your car works. Once u know what it takes to stop the car in multiple situations you learn what distance to keep and speed to go. If your on a budget, keep the drums!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Thanks for the information!!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I like disc brakes and drums. Drive with a good following distance, and keep the drums adjusted up properly, you won't have any worries. I own more 4 wheel drum vehicles than Disc brake vehicles. I just allow for a little more room when I drive the 4 wheel drum brake cars/trucks. I am still driving them today.

TBH, the only vehicles I had fender benders with we're all equipped with disc brakes.... LOL

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

egads likes this.
  25. wvenfield

wvenfield

People need to quit worrying so much over what others decide to do.

RmK57, 210superair, Beanscoot and 2 others like this.
  26. John Roberts

John Roberts

In Australia the Falcon's predecessor (the British Mark II 1960 Zephyr) weighed over 250 lbs more than the 1960 Falcon yet stopped with a lot more confidence on its 4-wheel drums. Now, this must have been due to the brakes themselves. I owned both - the Zephyr had a larger overall tyre size (harder to stop), the wheel venting was the same on both cars, and both used the original linings, not crushed coconut shells glued together with sweepings from the floor - so I was comparing apples with apples. Just the same, I ordered my Zephyr some ever-so-slightly-harder linings. These stopped exactly the same but reduced fade going down long, steep hills.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  27. John Roberts

John Roberts

You're kidding, aren't you? Mine was a 144 '60 Falcon automatic (the 'slowest', by definition) that did nearly 90 mph along a freeway downgrade - more than enough to overwhelm the underpowered drum brakes.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  28. indyjps

indyjps

Drums can be driven, 9" drums are pretty small, up to you as the driver to keep distance etc. If your car is not driving, get it on the road, upgrade when you can. If your drum brakes need much repair work and $ it makes sense to upgrade. I'd personally go to 5 lug with a disc brake swap. Find some wheels too.

Find mustang guys in your area, lot of parts swap out if they are upgrading. Find scrap yards in your area and check them frequently. Gotta be resourceful to be a young hot rodder.

Guy building a 64 Falcon, lists donor cars and parts
    https://www.fordmuscleforums.com/threads/falcon-parts.467992/
    Detailed instructions on swapping Grenada brakes on a 64 falcon, granadas have been a hot donor for a long time. Would be lucky to find a donor car.
    http://www.fordfalcon2000.com/disc-brake-installation

Scarebird kit to keep 4 lug. Will change wheel mounting location.
    https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=93

Elcohaulic and bobss396 like this.
  29. wicarnut

wicarnut

Back then everything was different, brake wise, we all had the same plus traffic volume, driving style was much saner. I highly recommend, PUT disc brakes on. I see your in Phoenix area for school, driving that Falcon here as a daily is pretty dangerous IMO as traffic, today's people driving style here is crazy stupid, about the worst I've ever driven in, But I've become old, also recommend you add seat belts if not in car. I missed thread date, so hopefully kid survived and to you "Experts" telling a kid how good drum brakes are, you are full of shit, Period. This is a problem here on the HAMB, I read a fair amount of stupid BS advice, well meaning I hope but just stupid and you can't fix stupid.