Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Road racing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dumprat, Apr 4, 2019.

1. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I find it hard to imagine that Doane Spencer was the only guy interested is something than drag racing with their hot rod. Does anyone have any good pics of vintage road race hot rods?

And no not cobras and corvettes....

Stogy likes this.
  2. lake_harley

lake_harley

Cotton Werksman's T looks like it might have been able to go around a corner pretty well...

[​IMG]
    Lynn

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Google Ak Miller

tractorguy likes this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

5. tractorguy

tractorguy

Yes......yes......the quintessential road race hot rod. I can remember years and years ago when it showed up for sale in a weekly edition of AutoWeek. Seemed kinda high priced ???.......if only.....if only. Glad it later ended up with Brock Yates(RIP)......a guy who could truly appreciate it.

Stogy and lumpy 63 like this.
  6. Here's Max Balchowsky's "Ford Special" Deuce Roadster at the "2nd Reno Road Races" SCCA National Sports Car Championship event - Stead Air Force Base, Reno, Nevada - October 18th 1953:

Balchowsky Deuce @ 1953 Reno Road Race (by Bill Hewitt) - 1.JPG
    Balchowsky Deuce @ 1953 Reno Road Race (by Bill Hewitt) - 1a.JPG

Balchowsky Deuce @ 1953 Reno Road Race (by Bill Hewitt) - 2.JPG
    Balchowsky Deuce @ 1953 Reno Road Race (by Bill Hewitt) - 2a.JPG

Balchowsky Deuce @ 1953 Reno Road Race (by Bill Hewitt) - 3.JPG
    Balchowsky Deuce @ 1953 Reno Road Race (by Bill Hewitt) - 3a.JPG
    Balchowsky Deuce @ 1953 Reno Road Race (by Bill Hewitt) - 3b.JPG

Balchowsky Deuce @ 1953 Reno Road Race (by Bill Hewitt) - 4.JPG
    Balchowsky Deuce @ 1953 Reno Road Race (by Bill Hewitt) - 4a.JPG

Balchowsky Deuce @ 1953 Reno Road Race (by Bill Hewitt) - 5.JPG
    Balchowsky Deuce @ 1953 Reno Road Race (by Bill Hewitt) - 5a.JPG

Balchowsky Deuce @ 1953 Reno Road Race (by Bill Hewitt) - 6.JPG
    Balchowsky Deuce @ 1953 Reno Road Race (by Bill Hewitt) - 6a.JPG

Balchowsky Deuce @ 1953 Reno Road Race (by Bill Hewitt) - 7.JPG
    Balchowsky Deuce @ 1953 Reno Road Race (by Bill Hewitt) - 7a.JPG

NOTE:

This is the Deuce Roadster originally built by Jimmy Summers in 1941.

Jimmy channeled the roadster over its frame 3 inches. The grille shell was bulged out at the bottom to hide the frame rails. The majority of the running gear consisted of 1940 Ford parts. The original dash was removed to add more leg room. The large dial in the center was an instrumental group from a Lincoln aluminum panel, combined with Stewart Warner gauges. The windshield was custom built by Jimmy.

Jimmy Summers later sold the car to Fred Vogel.

In 1952, Max Balchowsky raced, prepared, and maintained the roadster for Fred. By that time the car was powered a LaSalle Flathead V8. The engine was built by Yam Oka, who ported and relieved the block, installed hotter camshaft and ignition, and welded tubular steel exhaust headers.

According to Dean Batchelor's book "Dry Lakes and Drag Strips: The American Hot Rod," Fred and Max were just learning about racing when they started in 1952. The transverse leaf springs were originally retained, but Max later replaced them with similar units from a Ford V8-60, which were lighter. Max also added Dodge steering, and replaced the Ford Hydraulics brakes with Bendix self-servo brakes from a Lincoln Zephyr, and finally 1949 - 1951 Lincoln brakes.

In 1953, Max Balchowsky bought the roadster from Fred Vogel ... and by 1954, he had swapped out the LaSalle flathead in favor of a Buick nailhead.​

Here's Max Balchowsky's "Ford Special" Deuce Roadster as it appeared on the cover of the August 1953 issue of HONK! magazine:

HONK - Aug '53 cover.jpg

Here's Max Balchowsky's "Ford Special" Deuce Roadster (with nailhead power) at the 1954 Pebble Beach road race:

Max Balchowsky Deuce - Pebble Beach 1954.jpg

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    warbird1, tractorguy, Stogy and 10 others like this.
  7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Those cars were more rally racers than pavement hugging sports cars, IMHO, and ran at crazy speeds on unimproved roads. Some very big named drivers ran them. Gary

Stogy likes this.
  8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Search for sports rods or specials... lots has been posted already on your interests. Gary

HEMI32 likes this.
  9. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Max Balchowski's Old yeller..was a bad ass road racer.

10. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I like it!!
    Keep em coming!

11. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Ok not at all interested in specials!

I am talking hot rods here. The Bulchowski car is right on as is Werkman's T.

12. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Bump for the morning crew?

How about some more tire screaming hot rods?

And no sports rods please I don't want a Ferrari look a like..

13. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

I came across an early photo of this roadster that my grandpa took back in the day.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/can-anyone-id-this-roadster.1080973/#post-12252482

HEMI32 likes this.
  14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Check the Hot Rod Sports Cars thread for more. I already posted several pics there.

Actually, getting my truck out to a local track day is on my radar. I need to change a few things first, but I think it will work great on a road track and will be a blast!

15. @dumprat -

That's too bad ... 'cuz the Max Balchowsky Deuce Roadster is actually a "Special" ... as was the Ed Ingalls '31 Roadster that @Stogy posted earlier (but deleted after you stated you weren't interested in "Specials").

I was actually going to post these 7 vintage photos of the Ingalls Special in your thread ... but I see now that I would just be wasting my time. :(

Although very cool for a '70s T-bucket, (in my humble opinion) the Werkman T isn't a "Vintage Road Racing Hot Rod".

Perhaps you are actually looking for "Autocross Hot Rods" (most of which are O/T for the H.A.M.B.) ... ??? ... Maybe something like John Calles' #303 Simca (king of the NSRA Streetkhana in the mid '70s):

HRM Oct 1974 - pg 42.jpg HRM Oct 1974 - pg 43.jpg HRM Oct 1974 - pg 44.jpg
    from the October 1974 issue of HOT ROD Magazine

#303 Simca @ Tulsa Nats (August 1976).jpg
    Calles' #303 Simca at the 1976 NSRA Nationals in Tulsa, OK

Glitchy, AHotRod, 1934coupe and 3 others like this.
  16. bct

bct

That is a very nicely proportioned windshield. Thanks for the pics

17. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

The trouble with adding the tag "special" is you end up with a bunch of custome bodied tube frame sports cars, which are not hot rods.

Like I mentioned in my initial post I am looking for pics and info on hot rods built for road racing. Like the Spencer car.

Autocross is OT but so is Trans Am it it gets posted once in a while.

18. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I know this won't be exactly what you are looking for, but way back Jim Babb built a tiny little C-Cab T with a rear-mounted Subaru engine specifically to run the gymkhanas at NSRA events (yeah, NSRA used to do all kinds of cool shit before they aged out). I just think it is so cool. I'd love to do something similar.

Attached Files:

AHotRod, adam401 and dumprat like this.
  19. Ak Miler's El Caballo en Hierro (Iron Horse) build for the 1954 Carrera Panamerica

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

HEMI32, adam401, tractorguy and 2 others like this.
  20. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I love the C cab!

The AK miller car is hideous, famous or not.

21. Boodlum

Boodlum

Carrera Panamericana has a few hotrods

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just Gary, adam401 and dumprat like this.
  22. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Duffy Livingstons T is a great example...

gnichols likes this.
  23. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

But you certainly wouldn't want to race him down a dark alley, against his car.

24. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

Whatever became of It-T-Bits by Jim Babb?

25. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I was in Tulsa 76 with my 36 Willys sedan it was just a week old and brother Mike and I drove out from NY. I entered the gymkahana against that Simca, it was no contest. I may have come in last I don't remember. That Simca had a 303 Pontiac motor if I recall, it was some car.

Pat

26. Mimilan

Mimilan

I sneak these from Kerry's collection

Mount Maunganui Street Circuit
    Mt Manganui Street Races 1963 Garth Souness V8 Coupe  Dennis Marwood  Humber 80.jpg

Pukekohe Raceway
    Garth Souness chasing Rod Coppins with Red Dawson sneaking up in the Willys.PNG

Stogy, 34 GAZ, Just Gary and 2 others like this.
  27. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

28. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

29. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not really a typical HAMB car but in 1971 I had a MGTD with a flathead 60 and closed driveline that someone had installed in the late '50's or early '60's. From what I could determine this was a popular hop up swap to replace the lower performing English 4 banger at the time. Never drove it with the 4 banger but the flathead 60 wasn't exactly a rocket ship by any means.

30. Boodlum

Boodlum

Re-reading this thread brought to mind that Doane Spencer, beside his famous Deuce Highboy and Thunderbird, also owned and road raced a Sunbeam Tiger. Phil Remington, beside his work on Cobras, Daytona Coupes, GT40s and Ford MkIVs also had a Sunbeam Tiger he campaigned in the 1960's West Coast Sunbeam Tiger Wars and was Doane's toughest competitor. Doane Spencer's Tiger usually won.

http://www.theroaringseason.com/showthread.php?481-Doane-Spencers-Sunbeam-Tiger

Doane Spencer's Tiger with his trademark black with chrome accent color scheme.
    [​IMG]

ETA: Prototype Shelby/Remington Sunbeam Tiger
    http://www.impeccableinc.com/mediaf...unbeam_Tiger_Information_Document_for_Web.pdf

http://www.mustangandfords.com/feat...am-tiger-ford-v8-meets-1960s-british-roadster
    [​IMG]
    Phil Remington's Tiger was painted white, iirc ran car number 45, engine had four Weber carburetors and I cannot find a picture.

ETA2: Sunbeam Tigers are the worst handling cars I ever drove. Will swap ends in a heartbeat. In a turn, I call the gas pedal the "automatic reverse button", lift and you're going around.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    Just Gary likes this.