Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sandblasting - Thinking inside the box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 4, 2019.

1. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I thought some use Saran wrap like race driver helmet tear-offs. Take it a step farther, dirt drivers have the stuff on a motor-driven roll. The camera lenses on the race cars have some sort of movable shield too. Seems like a lot of work.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had some screen left over from a screen door repair and cut a piece to fit on the blast cabinet window. Glass, plastic, screen. The screen keeps the plastic from clouding for a lot longer time and the plastic keeps the glass from pitting.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. the trick I use to make the plastic protector last longer is: I take a used protector sheet and cut it 1/3 -2/3, I put a new protector on the glass, then tape the 1/3 used piece over that on one end. I then tape the 2/3 piece over that piece so that only 1/3 of the new protector is uncovered. I look through that 3rd until it clouds, then remove the 2/3 used piece, look through the, now exposed clear section. when that clouds I remove the 1/3 and expose the last 3rd. it makes the protector last 3 times longer and you really only need a 1/3 to look through at a time.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. Mike Rouse

Mike Rouse

I use carpet protector from Lowe’s. It comes in a roll. Sticker on one side. Comes in clear and green tint. I wipe the glass with a micro fiber towel before blasting.
    Mike

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  5. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Sorry about that HRP but when I see a shop that clean I feel like a true grease monkey! Heavy on the monkey part! I have 10lbs of crap in a 1lb bag! I need a dumpster in front of the shop door for about a month! Just added some red over spray to the floor today. Joe

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. It did look a little like a operation room when I rolled the truck in for the first time. HRP

Mvc898s-vi.jpg

kidcampbell71 and Tim like this.
  7. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

The shop looked good also! Joe

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. 1940Willys

1940Willys

wow, nice shop, nice truck, room to move groove!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. 6sally6

6sally6

THIS^^^^ sounds like a better idea!!!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

When they were tossing the overhead projectors from my school I snagged couple of rolls of the transprency film. Cut to length when needed. Tape to glass and away I go. Found one under punter led light no hooked them up s well, works great. Call your local school to see if they have any transparency film....

11. clem

clem

I thought that the wiper idea might work, but keep using the clear stick on film so you don’t damage the glass.
    Then someone suggested a manual wiper, which you could actually move with your gloved hand from the inside, rather than having a lever inside the cabinet.
    So why not grab one of those $6 hand wipers that your wife wants you to clean down the shower with, to actually see if it works, may be the simplest, cheapest and quickest option........
    Just leave it in the cabinet as you work.
    Or a thin but wide plastic blade scraper.......?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. SS327

SS327

I also use the fiberglass window screen on my cabinets window and it sure helps keep it a lot cleaner.

Denny

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. reyn

reyn

Years ago I replaced all the cheap slider windows in our house. Since then I just cut them into 12x24 inch pieces and clip one to the inside of the glass and blast and then throw away. Still have a lot of them to use up.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

How about wipe it with one of your wifes dryer sheets to remove the static electricty.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. I never even considered using dryer sheet but if dust sticks to it as well as they dry sheets stick to my Tee shirts they would have to go a great job, I'm going to give this a shot real soon. HRP

16. Did this in my blasting cabinet and it works pretty well. I used a used long copper tube, drilled a lot of small holes in it, and pinched it in one end. I use a dedicated regulator so I can adjust the "curtain".