Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods GMC 270-302 ALUM OIL PAN ID HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ENUF 41, Apr 2, 2019.

1. ENUF 41

ENUF 41

10 Quart aluminum GMC oil pan, unknown manufacturer, came off early drag car.
    Any help with identification will be helpful.
    Any HAMB owners??? SAM_0937.JPG SAM_0938.JPG SAM_0939.JPG

2. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

3. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I can offer no useful information, only drool and envy.

That is a nice piece.

4. 12port gmc

12port gmc

Wow, like to have it on my 302!

5. satan'schariot

satan'schariot

Could it possibly be a 454 chevy some of the mercruisers used in boats had a pan that looked real similar ?

6. satan'schariot

satan'schariot

Ops I didn't read the GMC part Lol until after I posted but maybe it could still be a mercruiser part

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I had a cast aluminum pan for my GMC that I bought from 12 Port Charlie Baker. It was for a dry sump and not as deep yours. But it looked a lot like your fins as I remember.

tractorguy likes this.
  8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A friend in Utah has one. No markings either; bought at Pomona swap 40 years ago.

9. ENUF 41

ENUF 41

JD, Is the one in Utah the only one that you have seen???

10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes. It was bought with a set of Nicson cast ron exhaust manifolds and a single exhaust pipe that attached to the Nicsons and came out and looked to fit a camp/sprint car. We also bought another set of Nicsons that day...never saw any again until they were repoped.

11. ENUF 41

ENUF 41

Found a little info from another source, and he thought that it was produced by Charlie Baker.

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think they were done before Charlie started repoping things in the late 70's early 80's. I was in his shop in 82-83 and would have remembered an oil pan. He was doing side plates and rocker covers. I would guess the 50's when they were popular in Champ style cars...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. ENUF 41

ENUF 41

JD, any pictures of the side cover, and valve cover?

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

no, that was back in 1978. Some of the 1st two years of the Inliners International 12 Port News may have had some..not sure...

15. ENUF 41

ENUF 41

16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Interestingly enough, marshall, from Tacoma, Wash, called yesterday. He has my old Charlie Baker/ Hourning head. Not sure what his plans are.

17. ENUF 41

ENUF 41

Rich, was the 12 port a dual effort of Baker and Hourning? I guess the question should be who had the original patterns?

18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Wayne Hourning originated the Hourning head. After having made and sold Wayne heads. He sold the patterns to Bill Fisher. (California Bill) Who cast the heads in aluminum. He sold the patterns to Hoy Stevens and in the 80s Charlie Baker acquired them and had a few cast. Since then I believe the Ferguson Family has the patterns now. But I don't think they are making them. You might be able to get a Skinner head from them. Which seems to be a better head anyway. I don't know if the Arias heads are still available. But they are a big improvement over the Howard head that they came from.

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think Joe Fontana sold all of the Skinners he had or possibly all the Skinner stuff went to Don Ferguson. I have a complete Skinner and a complete Arias/Howard.(head, rockers, injector, cover, side plates)
    Inliner Zeke Zackerson has at least a dozen 12 Ports and more than one Horning. He has aluminum and cast iron. Not sure on a Skinner but he has Arias's also. A cam is the toughest to get for a Horning since the valve sequence was changed but not the firing order. Oh well, the stuff is out there if you look, but the aluminum pans are the hens teeth as they say.
    I aquired a copy of all the plans and spec prints to the aluminum Hornings from Charlie Baker and gave them to Don years ago to help when needed to machine them. I'm just glad a lot of it has been saved.