Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Question for glass body builders and titleing.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Apr 5, 2019.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

When it comes time to go to your state for the new title of your build, what year does your state make it read? For example if you build a deuce Ford coupe, is it titled as a 1932 or the year it is that you put it on the road?

2. Ask your local Tax office...Each state have their own regulations

3. JFK Killer

JFK Killer

Well my glass 41 willys is title as the year It was inspected. So the title reads as a 2010 Willys coupe. Since its titled like that here in Illinois. I cant get the cool looking antique plates.... Hope this helps some

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. 34Larry

34Larry

Thanks wbrw and JFK. My question wasn't so much for my needs as mine is a real 34 but more the need of what state I should move to in order to have a new build titled the year it will replicate.

5. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

What State are you referring to ?

6. alchemy

alchemy

State of Confusion.

7. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

In Indiana I had to apply for a MVIN number. My fiberglass 1927 model T Ford roadster is registered as:

Year: 1927
    Make: Replica
    Model: Roadster
    Body Style: Coupe

They don't know a roadster from a coupe. They had pictures of it. No mention of Ford anywhere, but it is registered as a 1927. Indiana is obviously not equipped to deal properly with old cars. I took the new title to the license bureau to get plates. I tried to tell her it was not a coupe. Got a blank stare. Finally told her I didn't care what they called it. I just want my plates.
    I don't think you would want to move to Indiana just to register a plastic car,

8. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

My 41 Willys is titled as a 1941 Willys 2dr. I am guessing Coupe is not a current classification. I had to get a VIN tag from them as well.

9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

As far as I know, in Alabama it only has to resemble a certain model to get Vintage Vehicle plates. Construction material doesn’t matter, and titles are not issued for a rolling 35 years from before the current date. So apparently you could build a new glass body and register it as a 32 whatever, as long as it resembled something from 1932 you could get a vintage plate, but no title would be needed or issued.

10. LongT

LongT

PA it is designated as a Street Rod. The year is the year it was titled, after inspection. Selling can be a pain because some states will require the car to have safety/emissions of the year on the title. PA exempts Street Rods from those rules.

11. .......I can attest to this mess. A few years ago I was trying very hard to buy a real Henry '29 Ford Coupe on a real Henry '32 Ford frame and couldn't make it work here in Maryland because the owner after building the car had it inspected and registered as a 2014 Ford!!:eek:.......Maryland MVA insisted that if it was registered in Pa. as a 2014 model year, that's what it would have to be in Maryland with all of the attendant exhaust emission inspections,etc. etc.......Sucks.

12. 34Larry

34Larry

what year does your state make it read? Was what I asked if you'll go back and read it again.

13. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I see. you're asking for people from all 50 states to tell you what their state requires.
    I could have helped with Washington State but I won't waste the time.

14. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

In Iowa mine will be titled as a "specialty constructed vehicle, street rod, 1932 Ford replica". Takes a state inspection and have a VIN assigned. I will be able to run year of manufacture 1932 plates if wanted, there are no restrictions to vehicle use or mileage and it will be treated like a common car from then on. It has to have all safety items for the year it represents with the addition of defrosters, turn signals and seat belts. The hard part is before any of that happens, you have to present any and all receipts for all individual items with a cost over $300, the MSO for the (Pete and Jake's) frame and the MSO for the (New Age Motorsports) 'glass body. Once the paper work is satisfied, you get to pay taxes then go thru the complete vehicle inspection and meet all the check list for safety items.

Requirements:
    https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/iac/rule/761.450.2.pdf

SPark

15. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

lurker mick likes this.