Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 49-52 Chevy skirts!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bonneville bones, Apr 4, 2019.

1. bonneville bones

bonneville bones

Should I spend a whole weekend making a set or buy some? Who has bought ones that fit nice? Where’d ya get them? Post some pics if you like yours. I have a 49 that I just got on the road and now it’s time to think about all the other details. (I bought a body and frame and put this car together from the ground up!) [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hnstray and Latigo like this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Well if you make them you can customize them to your taste. I know 1953 and 1954 are pretty easy to find on epay. I can keep my eyes open at swap meets for you. But likely easier to make them to suit.

bonneville bones likes this.
  3. Slow down

Slow down

National Chevy has them and they fit real good.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

OG lil E and bonneville bones like this.
  4. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

49-50 are just a little different than 51-52. hard to tell the difference and i've heard they don't interchange.

RDR likes this.

5. 52HardTop

52HardTop

That is right. The 49 to 50 are exclusive to those years. The 51 to 52 are for those only.

RDR likes this.
  6. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I bought these from an aftermarket place...( '49 Merc Style)
    Liked them, but not a perfect fit..fortunately easy to put on/take off :)

Attached Files:

7. HipCat427w

HipCat427w

I have a set of skirts for a 52 styleline, ... I need a 51/52 styleline parts car. who has one?...

8. RDR

RDR

Wheel opening on 51-52 Chevy is longer than the 49-50...Hence the 51-52 skirts are longer...

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The Chevy shown in post #3 in which Slow Down says he got them from National Chevy is a ‘49/‘50 model (‘50 taillight lenses, but the teardrop fender shape common to both years), so they should be available.

10. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-6-26_3-42-17.png 1959 Westside of Long Beach
    Hello,

This short film posted below is one of my favorites that I took back in 1959 out in front of our Long Beach house. (It had to be a summer time Tuesday, as my dad’s car is in the driveway and that was one of his weekly vacation days.) My mom and several of her friends were going out for a nice lunch and shopping trip. The 4 door Chevy belonged to our cousin and was her daily driver.

When we were little (8 & 10), my brother and I went to a lot of places in that old Chevy. Our cousin’s mom was the first one to drive, out of all of the neighborhood ladies and that 4 door sedan went everywhere. It was a true daily driver to work. On the weekends, it was very busy taking 4 little boys (our 2 cousins) to games, parks, beaches and visiting friends in San Pedro.

The sedan was totally stock and for some reason, it came with the skirts. Our cousin’s parents were not into customizing cars, they were “put in the gas and go places,” kind of folks. But, as neighborhood cousins, we did spend a lot of time in that car when our dad could not take us somewhere.
    upload_2019-6-26_3-44-20.png
    We even learned to shift the column shifter while it was sitting in their driveway, just a block away from our house. (We were little kids playing in that car being used as a playground structure) I remember when the front seat was in the driver’s position for our cousin’s mom, there was plenty of room in the back as she was around 5 feet tall.

Jnaki

4 ladies out for a cruise and shopping

The "capper" was that with 4 ladies talking all at the same time, it was floor it and get moving. Not that it was a nice move for the guy in the 1959 black Impala, coming up behind them. During this time period, our neighborhood had some cool cars. Another 51-52 Olds sedan, a 56 Mercury hardtop, another 53 Chevy across the street, and my dad’s 1957 Buick Roadmaster.
    upload_2019-6-26_3-45-28.png
    Eventually, our cousins sold the 1952 Chevy and purchased the pristine 4 door 1956 Chevy hardtop for family adventures and their teenage boys’ first driving car.

cousin’s 56 Chevy hardtop

OG lil E and bonneville bones like this.
  11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I love all the pics/videos you took/have of all the old cars.:):cool:

jnaki likes this.
  12. bonneville bones

bonneville bones

Wow! That’s a grate story! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

jnaki likes this.