Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Paint Help - Epoxy Primer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SCOTT MacIntosh, Apr 4, 2019.

1. SCOTT MacIntosh

SCOTT MacIntosh

Hello guys, new here. Not working on a hot rod however, I am restoring an older tractor and am looking for some tips regarding painting it. I have already done the chassis and everything, and now I'm on to the hood and fenders. Since this is the most prominent part of the machine I would like to do a nice job on it. I've sandblasted the parts in question and am working on sanding them down by hand now to prep for primer. I would like to spray them with an epoxy primer for now, and then work on my bodywork later, as I work on it somewhat sporadically, I don't want it starting to rust if I leave it in bare metal (I can see the ocean from my front step, so things rust here easily). then once I get my bodywork sorted, lay down some urethane primer. top coat I'm leaning towards base then clear urethane? I do have a can of "OEM" acrylic enamel which has yielded decent results in the past. I'm pretty sure you can spray that over a urethane primer or at least I've been getting away with it.

Am I going about this the right way?

I have been to 2 local auto parts stores and was kind of encouraged not to use epoxy primer at all, and just use regular primer, wash primer or self etch primer. They said "nobody uses epoxy primer, you don't need that" One guy also told me that the epoxy primer HAS to be sprayed "wet on wet" and that once you spray it you need to put a topcoat over it almost immediately. He also said that it was "highly toxic" much more so than regular paints and that you had to either have a fresh air respirator to use it, or use it outside. All of this kind of confuses me, as everything I've read online seems to say nothing about any of this?

Anyway, I'm a bit of a novice painter (totally novice I wont lie), so I'm looking for any advice I can get. It seems the more I read into this stuff the more my head starts to spin, then when I try to actually buy the products it just gets even worse.

Thanks for any help.

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you read the manufactuer's specific instructions for the product you're spraying ?? Every epoxy primers I have worked with a specific window of time to have any other coats (hi-fill, color, etc.) applied. I recall the last time I used epoxy primer, that window was 3 or 4 days. After that time, the primer had to be scuffed before additional coats of anything were applied.

Good air mask (NOT dusk mask) is absolutely essential unless you want to spen the rest of your life pushing an oxygen tank around to help you to breathe and that's a good scenario compared to what else breathing that stuff could do to you.

Also, don't mix brands of paint.

Epoxy primer & paint are grea products and are used, as far as I know, a lot. You do have to read up on how to use them and to respect them. Also. they're too damn expensive to buy & use to ignore the manucturer's instructions......or so it seems to me.

Frankie47 likes this.
  3. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

DO not take any of the parts store advice except the inhalation warning.
    DO use epoxy primer. It does not require wet on wet. Acrylic enamel w/hardener would be an excellent choice.
    Your plan is sound.

tb33anda3rd and Frankie47 like this.
  4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

From what your describing epoxy primer is what I would use. After sitting the window as described above it will need to be sanded before priming or filler work. After that urathane primer sand and paint with your choice of paints.

Frankie47 likes this.

5. 1 Wear a real paint respirator
    2 Epoxy is great for resto/custom work. It dries too slow for production ( normal body shop) work
    3 Doing body work on top of epoxy is great. I recommend waiting a day before applying any filler
    4 never take paint advice from people that also sell mufflers
    5 epoxy Does Not have to be wet on wet only. Just sand like normal before top coating
    6 painting over a urethane or epoxy is fine
    7 always ask for the paint tech sheet and read it before use.
    8 always ask the hamb paint questions before trusting a guy behind the counter
    I usually epoxy over bare metal then do body work. I then use a polyester primer to finish up the straightness of the body. Then seal with epoxy before painting
    A urethane is also fine, depends on personal preference
    Paint choose is up to you. Enamel, urethane, base/clear all look great with proper prep work

JNKYARDDOG_1 likes this.
  6. SCOTT MacIntosh

SCOTT MacIntosh

Thanks guys, sounds like I did the right thing asking here.

I usually use a 3M mask, I think its a 6000 series? has the cartridges on it. Is that sufficient or should I be using something else. Definately don't want to be pushing around an oxygen tank...

The37Kid likes this.
  7. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

The fact that you can see the ocean from your front steps and you are going to do this in stages I would like to offer little advice. If you leave the car in primer eventually it will rust whether it be a year or for five years. What I did with my 55, I acid washed it two coats of my primer followed by SANDABLE urethane or epoxy primer. And then your topcoat's..http://www.tnemec.com/content/news/...ime-at-coal-fired-power-plantsbr#.XKaiO5hKjDc This is how you put up a good fight with mother nature. Good luck with your project I painted that car in 2006 and is held up great

8. If you google the paint products name and part number you can find the tech info online

If you have a pre 1965 tractor. Post it on the antiquated forum here

9. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Sorry I didn't realize it was tractor fenders Ill go back to sleep now

10. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. SCOTT MacIntosh

SCOTT MacIntosh

It won't be a 5 year project, I hope haha. It'll be done and painted hopefully within the next 6 months.

Tractor is not quite that old, late 70's.

12. SCOTT MacIntosh

SCOTT MacIntosh

I've read good things about the SPI stuff, I'm open to recommendations on brand. The local auto parts places have nason, and I think the other might have PPG but it didn't look like they had much stock if any. Haven't found anything else yet. I can get Eastwood online, I'll look into SPI.

13. the paint companies use the term "wet on wet" and it is confusing. it does not mean the primer has to be wet to top coat it. what it means is, it has the ability to be top coated without sanding, and in the case of epoxy primer there is a time window. as stated above, once the window is closed it will need to be scuffed or reacted with the epoxy.
    your plan is good, carry on.

14. Spi is great stuff
    PPG is also great
    I use ppg industrial line products at school. The EPX epoxy is great and better priced than the automotive lines. The ppg defleet paint is a great cost effective product

15. Paint_Rep

Paint_Rep

PPG DP Epoxy Primer. Best in the business. Can do bodywork over or under. Can be directly topcoated. Best corrosion resistance in the game. Just remember, all epoxys have a recoat window. DP is seven days....which is fine, just a light scuff, and reapply a coat. That is directly off the P-Sheet. Sold it and used it for years!

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

PPG Viberance line VM 2050 epoxy primer, hi build and priced right!

17. belair

belair

I too would like to know what kind of or if a cartridge filter is good enough to spray spray epoxy with.

18. My epoxy primer has a week window to put another coat on it. If you wait more than a week, the epoxy primer you've already put on the part needs to be scuffed [sanded] to give the surface a "tooth". This stuff is harmful to your health but I was able to use a common respirator with fresh filters. I also had a lot of ventilation. I also used a pair of paper coveralls and gloves just to be safe. My body man wasn't paying attention to the safety measures and ended up in the hospital with isocyanine poisoning...no joke.
    The finished product is my avatar. 34paintingparts.jpg

32SEDAN likes this.
  19. Budget36

Budget36

Brings up a good topic....suggested respirators to use with today's stuff?

20. indyjps

indyjps

Use epoxy, who's not gonna sand the primer on an old car... the advice you were given was for a production shop environment.
    Pay attention to the recoat window, you want to apply several coats of epoxy within the recoat window.
    I prefer to let it sit and cure really well, sand then apply a build primer, if you want to do it all at once just learn the recoat and use compatible products.

21. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

If you want to be safe, supplied air is the only way to go. Yes, I have painted with cartridge type respirators many times, over many years, but I am not going to say it's okay to do so. I have known and worked with a lot of dead painters, some of whom did not die a pretty death.

Sporty45 likes this.
  22. be careful with too much build up of epoxy. one light coat is all that is needed. I have had trouble with it lifting in areas that were too heavy or "puddled".

23. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Your parts guys do NOT know paint. I use HOK KP-2 almost exclusively. It is an epoxy, but unlike the regular manufacturers type. You can sand it, easily. It fills scratches, and small pits. It seals, too. One product to do the work of 3.

loveoftiki likes this.
  24. Look into PPG CRE epoxy primer...killer high build stuff. If you need to re coat scuff and shoot..this stuff sands awesome!

A 3M 7192, 7193 will work fine provided you don’t use it past its exposure limit..people buy those and think its a lifetime purchase. Keep it in a sealed container when not in use. 30-40 hours of exposed usage is a good gage, maybe keep a record of paint times. Don’t wear it “till ya smell stuff”

The real question is.....Where the hell do you live that you can see the ocean from your stairs and also have a tractor??? Sounds like Heaven

SCOTT MacIntosh likes this.