Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods First drive down the street...always a thrill...will I make it home?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrharley51, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Anxiety, nervousness, apprehension, excitement, and finally elation..confirms to you, all of the time, work, dollars invested, were warranted.
    Good job.

Happydaze, loudbang and Vanness like this.
  2. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I get to do it this week and I've been putting it off. My trailer is hooked up to the truck, my cell phone is handy, and the missus is already giving me a ration of shit.

Great looking little truck, by the way. I'm glad it worked out so well.

swade41, loudbang and mrharley51 like this.
  3. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's just BITCHIN!

loudbang likes this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Congrats! Seems that range of blues always look different in every photo

loudbang likes this.
  5. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Really, really nice, simple, elegant and very pleasing to look at! Job well done!

loudbang and mrharley51 like this.
  6. Packrat

Packrat

I love that truck!

loudbang likes this.
  7. Absolutely gorgeous truck! Wow! Great job!

loudbang likes this.
  8. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats a good looking pick up! First rides are exciting and fun. Congratulations!

loudbang likes this.
  9. 31Apickup

31Apickup

10. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I call them the Breakdown cruise.
    That's a nice pickup. Glad it went well.

loudbang likes this.
  11. when the weather breaks...I'll do a couple laps...Small car show every Thursday evening by the hot dog stand...

loudbang likes this.
  12. brady1929

brady1929

Very nice.

loudbang likes this.
  13. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

If you have good roadside service(Hagerty) let them worry about getting you home. That has always been my back home plan. Enjoy your drives...………….

Shutter Speed and loudbang like this.
  14. Mt Kiyotee

Mt Kiyotee

Great lookin ride, now drive the sh#t outta it:cool:

loudbang likes this.
  15. hudson48

hudson48

No not since 2018. I am coming back in May 19 and doing a few things including the Custom Car Revival in Indianapolis. Traveling with Kurt McCormick in his 41 Cadillac convertible. Also the NSRA Mid America Nats in Springfield. Maybe you saw that post on Facebook where someone put up a picture of the car at Santa Maria 2018 and I commented and said 2019.

loudbang and pprather like this.
  16. My April of 2016 maiden voyage was 6 months prior to my near-demise heart attack. My Ford, the clutch was marginally releasing, the timing was out of whack, the front springs were too short... all sorts of bad things lining up. I had lights and signals. I told my buddy where I was going, the exact route. If I'm not back in 5 minutes, come and get me. The gas pedal seemed to be all or nothing due to the timing and up-shifting was a chore, like driving a 1937 2-ton farm truck you were not familiar with. Of course the maiden voyage is best done under the cover of dark...

mrharley51 and loudbang like this.
  17. That must have been it.
    Boogie just painted this custom 88 for Bob Fry. Should be a stunner with the right wheels/tires

Attached Files:

Ron Funkhouser and loudbang like this.
  18. I was going to say the same thing. Love this truck

loudbang likes this.
  19. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Great build. I like it.
    My wife knows the first name of every tow truck driver in this two county area.

mrharley51 and loudbang like this.
  20. so nice - enjoy

loudbang likes this.
  21. Dirk35

Dirk35

Did the '35 hood with the '36 grille give you much extra engine compartment length?

I really like the filler panel you made for in front of the rear wheels.

Kinda looks like you extended the depth and shortened the '36 grille, maybe that just cause the lower chin is cut apart and changed to get rid of the parts where it mates up the front fenders.

loudbang likes this.
  22. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Took my 57 out on it first run with a big block without bolting the hood to the hinges just using the safety latch in front. When I started picking up speed the rear of the hood started to come up, cowl induction.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Thanks, I cut a wooden buck to make the filler panels and welded rod to make the body line. Used dimple dies for the holes. The frame was really exposed here so I needed to do something...wanted something different from the rectangles repopped.
    I bought the cab from a guy in Col. It had the grill inside the cab...wanted the 35 hood sides...love the louvers. The grill shell was in really bad shape. I cut it into 6 pieces to cut it down to size of the chopped/channeled cab/frame. I bent up 32 grill bars and welded the new ones in with a crossbar. I do not like the thickness of a 36 grill but it was what I had and could afford. I had plans of sectioning a 2" to 0" taper out of it but fan and short water pump located the grill and radiator. Used a chopped 32 radiator..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    loudbang and Shadow Creek like this.
  24. That's a nice looking truck, start with a small circle, then they keep getting bigger as you gain confidence in your machine, fun isn't it.

Black_Sheep, loudbang and mrharley51 like this.
  25. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

The first time anyone puts the key in the ignition, it is always a thrill. Whether it was a memory of an earlier hot rod or not, the mystery of the car starting has always been in everyone’s mind. If it is rainy, foggy, snowy or parked in any kind of weather, the key in the ignition and the pre-starting tension is amplified 10x.

The first time I got into my Flathead powered 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, it was my own car. I had driven it home from the previous owner’s house. But, after several times of the sedan delivery not starting, the worry factor crept in to the scene. Can’t be late for school, a date, or a job, so what to do if it does not start?
    upload_2019-4-9_16-3-40.png 1959
    I knew that when the 1958 Impala started every single time, it was a totally reliable car. But, when in the staging area lines at Lions, the wait was multiplied as the worry crept in place. The cars in front of the line started and moved forward. Your car did not start, panic sets in and increases the anxiety. The one time I was in the second round of eliminations, this was the scene. I rolled up to the staging area and the starter told everyone to shut down their motors. Something had to be cleared off of the track.

Well, I knew and did not want to be caught with a dead motor, so I kept the motor running, while everyone else had shut down. I had the window rolled up and played innocent to the command to shut down. Finally, the starter came over and told me to shut down as it would be several minutes. But, when I told him about not starting, he allowed me to continue idling. When it was all clear, I cleared out the idle and the motor was already warm for the next round. I won that round… so all was good.

For some reason, that was the only non-starting incident for the 1958 Impala. But, since that time, a year later, I got a C&O Stick Hydro installed. When I returned to the C&O Garage to pick up my finished Impala, the worry was, would it start and get me home? Of course it did and the Impala never stalled or had the starting problem, again.

Jnaki

Now, move up to 1960 and we just put together our 283 SBC with 6 Strombergs, Isky cam and kit, 3 speed LaSalle and a Chevy 4:11 Positraction rear with Traction Master bars. It was ready to fire up and take it for a ride down the street. The idle was a little high, so 6 screws were adjusted and now, it was ready. I backed up the Willys coupe, all the way out to the street. The Moon Tank inside was filled with gas (2 gal)
    upload_2019-4-9_16-4-45.png
    This was our first build and we were proud of the results. My brother was going to drive around and I was going to be the gas gauge, looking into the Moon Tank to see how far we are going to go. It was so exciting backing up the Willys, while the motor was idling and sounding rather powerful. When my brother got ready to go, he said, “Hang on.” He started to go, and after a short roll, he floored it and we both flew back in our seats.
    upload_2019-4-9_16-5-15.png
    That was one powerful motor and set up. It was much more than the 3 carb 348 in the Impala. We drove around for about 5 miles before we had to get some gas. The attendants were all over each other to fill the gas tank...but the tank was not for gas. HA! the joke was on them. But, for the time inside the Willys, it was pretty close to Nirvana, despite the “not finished” look. Our idea was to get the Willys SBC running well, then start the finish detailing look.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  26. 54reno

54reno

Well done.

loudbang likes this.
  27. sololobo

sololobo

Cool deal, nuthin like that first ride in a new rod. The truck looks awesome, Washington Blue, sweet choice. Enjoy the cool ride.

loudbang likes this.
  28. oldgoat939

oldgoat939

nice truck, like the stance, color looks great.

29. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Nailed it. Very nice.

30. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Nothing is quite like the feeling you get on a maiden voyage, congratulations...

loudbang likes this.