Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods reman Cardone hydrovac brake boosters for trucks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vetteson, Apr 4, 2019.

1. vetteson

vetteson

Has anyone used one of these remote hydrovacs commonly used on larger trucks in their car/hot rod? I assume they are weight/force sensitive and may not work at all in a lighter car.

2. Budget36

Budget36

Never tried one, but didn't Vettes -of some years- have a Hydrovac/hydroboost set up? Might be an option?

3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Late model mustangs had something, maybe in the 90's

4. Stooge

Stooge

Ive used the hydroboost set ups from 80s squarebody chevy diesel trucks a few times in slightly off topic 60s/early 70s muscle cars and worked very well, but they also already had power steering systems to tap into. The aftermarket systems are essentially the same thing as the diesel truck ones, and are big with the pro-touring/muscle car guys, but are pretty spendy. The cars i used them in werent real light so im not sure how they would work with a much lighter car.

5. greybeard360

greybeard360

How did this go from hydrovac to hydroboost? That wasn't the question. A hydrovac is a remote mounted brake booster with the main master cylinder on it. Not one using power steering pressure to assist boost.... One that uses engine vacuum. HYDROVAC.

6. BJR

BJR

I had a stock 56 T-Bird that had something like that on it for power brakes.

7. I have a 5 ton with the remote hydrovac system, and don't see why it wouldn't work just as well on a lighter vehicle.
    They were offered as an option in some early 50s Chev cars, and in the 55 through 59 Chevy trucks. Back in the day, I had a friend with a 56 GMC 1/2 ton that had one as an optional accessory. That one was a Bendix system. I don't know where you would find one today.
    Bob

8. I had one (aftermarket remote vacuum booster) on a 37 Chevy pickup when i first bought it. Worst pedal feel and worse ability to modulate the force of any vehicle I ever drove. Pulled that shit out and the braking was countless times better. A well designed system, manual or firewall mounted power booster, will be far better than the remote crap. Lighter car does not even need power brakes.

flux capacitor likes this.
  9. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

I’ve sold those units for lighter vehicles just as you nentioned. The last one I sold was to an old pal , it was the a1 number for 1950s Stude big trucks he installed it on a nice Willy’s cj2a , it was SUPER sensitive & very little pedal effort would generate a slam on the brakes scenario that would plant ones face in the windshield. He didn’t try to correct it , just removed it. Flux