Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Auto Transport rates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Truckdoctor Andy, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Hey Guys, I have a question. What does it cost to have a car transported across country? From St. Louis to Maine cross country. I’ve got a guy that bought my truck(already paid for) and he is not having any luck finding someone to haul it because it doesn’t run. It doesn’t even have an engine in it. I was going to suggest that I haul it, but can’t do it for free, but don’t want to gank him either. Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. The guy I used (for a central California-to-Washington state run) charged about $.75 per mile. There are guys who will haul non-operating cars, but it will cost a bit more. Found him through a broker. None of the HAMB guys would talk to me....

Truckdoctor Andy and XXL__ like this.
  3. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

UShip.com , great rates and you have shippers bid and enter a low bid and see if someone will accept it...if a shipper is heading that way light , he will take the low bid....low bid better than no bid....

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  4. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I used Reliable to ship a roller from Durango to Florida. No issues at all. Was listed on the HAMB classifieds.

esrbuilders and Truckdoctor Andy like this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You would have to have a tow rig that gets a lot better fuel mileage than mine does. I think I'd loose money at a dollar a mile. Figure time. expenses that you don't ordinarely have such as the extra cost of eating out vs fixing food at home the nights spent in motels and any tolls if you hit toll roads on the way.
    Most of the guys who do it for a living try to pick up a back haul within a reasonable distance of the drop off point so they don't have to run empty that far.

The no engine is the rub though as it has to be winched on a trailer and it takes more work to get it off.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  6. Thanks for the responses. I have not mentioned it to my buyer, just an idea that I had rattling around in my head. By the way, my tow rig is a 2018 Dodge 2500 with a Cummins.

7. justold

justold

I think your math needs looked at .

firstinsteele and Hollywood-East like this.
  8. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Must have figured that using "new math" :confused::D

9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right you are. Sorry for the piss poor math.

10. I don't publish my rates, but I will be glad to give you an exact cash on delivery price quote if you P.M. with both town names or zip codes. I already have one on the schedule from Florida to Maine & except for a couple coming back from the west coast, I don't have any openings on the schedule till probably June , as I am booked 3-8 weeks in advance all year round! You can also check with BenD or Racinman in the Hamb O Dex Section as well. They are quality transporters & real car guys like myself!

Uship is almost all brokers & there are some homeless bottom feeders out there with junk equipment that try their best to promote themselves, but are far from Quality Transporters

It all comes down to what is most important...Price or how well your car is cared for. The transport industry is definitely a place where the old saying "you get what you pay for" is gospel!

God Bless
    Bill Squires(owner)
    Bill's Auto Works
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

11. bowtie56jw

bowtie56jw

Bill is Awesome, gives updates, sends pictures. Great guy.

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  12. Stooge

Stooge

2017, a buddy was trying to have an Edsel he bought in Iowa, (close to MO) shipped to Massachusetts,(1300ish miles) and was getting quotes from about $1000- $1500, with most falling arund $1200. The scheduling wasnt really working out for him, and he wasnt getting those warm fuzzy feelings about it being shipped, so we ended up flying out, renting a (Penske) truck and trailer and trailered it straight back. Cost a little more between tickets and rentals, but was a problem free trip

13. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

I bought a 1955 Pontiac Safari with no motor or trans & it cost me $800 from Idaho to So Cal using UShip. I’ve also paid around $1500 to ship a car from Minnesota to So Cal using Montway. Montway is a little more expensive, but I haven’t had any issues with them & they usually get the car picked up pretty fast. Obviously the more you pay the quicker your car will get picked up. The less you pay the longer it takes & May never get picked up. Just my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

14. Your Buyer can find a haul.

He just is not willing to pay what it takes to transport the vehicle.

You don’t own the vehicle anymore - he does.

So if you go & haul it - if something happens you stand to lose both the truck and the money you received for it.

Don’t try and be the solution to someone else’s problem ....,

If you didn’t address storage of the vehicle in writing before you did the deal - that was a mistake.

Give your Buyer written notice on how long you are willing to store his vehicle.

Charge no rent - make it clear you are doing it as a favor and assume no liability for damage or loss or theft.

Jim

15. Bill, thanks for the offer and I’ll pass your info onto my buyer. Jim, you are correct on all counts. The truck is not in my way, and I like the way you put everything. After sleeping on this idea, and hearing from all you guys, I’m not gonna mess around with this.

16. I have been here since 2008.

I get calls like this every day.

Helping out with answers to questions doesn’t
    involve constantly trying to sell your services
    or self promote your business.

We all “ Turn The Wheel “.

When you help someone else out - you are helping out yourself.

Jim

firstinsteele likes this.
  17. Andy,

Just so we are clear, I was not offering to do the transport! Just willing to give you an idea of what a Quality transporter would charge for single car service. I am way too busy to do it. Ben, Rick & I are all basically in the same ballpark on pricing. Also was trying to point out from one car guy to another the differences between Quality transport & the bottom feeders. Those guys who are NOT car guys & just need the money have no actual idea how most of us feel about our cars!

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  18. papajohn

papajohn

Can't go wrong with Bill or Ben D! Both are highly dependable, stand up guys with fair prices.

19. Bill, I’m so sorry, I was reading your post at work and not paying as much attention as I should have. I haven’t said anything to my buyer. But, I really appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions. I’ve decided that I’m not going to take this on. Between fixing big trucks all day, and what little time I have on the weekend, this is not something I can do.

20. pontiac

pontiac

I'll highly recommend Bill as well. He give me a price, and it didn't change a penny upon arrival. Went above and beyond, did everything he said he would. He hauled a car from Nebraska to West Virginia for me.

21. 1940Willys

1940Willys

I hired Bill Squire. He hauled from Bakersfield Ca. to Buffalo, N.Y I was pleased.

22. Thank you gentlemen for the kind words. There is no greater feeling as a business owner than to have so many loyal customers who are willing to put their reputations on the line to recommend someones service!

harpo1313 likes this.
  23. rockfish

rockfish

Bill from Ohio is great. Professional and honest. My car was a roller and Bill handled with no problems at all.

24. B1gDaddy

B1gDaddy
    from aladambama

This man, will do what he says, when he says, for what he says, and will exceed all your expectations. There are two others That I trust, but if Bill can get to it, HE IS THE CHOICE !

25. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

I say from experience Bill is who you want.