Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Selecting rims and where to buy them from?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by testdepth, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I'm not going to argue the finer points of what is period correct (although I'm a stickler for correctness based on photographic documentation), but here's some good choices.

Something like these from American Rebel Wheels website:
    https://www.americanrebelmfg.com/wheels
    [​IMG]

Or if you wanted to keep your current front wheels; these ET wheels on the back would look good.
    http://www.etmags.com/gallery_gasser.html
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    chevy57dude likes this.
  2. That's an altered; too much engine set-back, no front brakes, altered wheelbase and chopped top all take it out of the gasser category... Look closely, the rear wheels have been moved forward about 6", and the front clip looks to have been stretched about the same.

For the unwashed, it looks sorta like a gasser but isn't. That's one of the reasons those classes lost popularity in the mid/late-sixties as the line between the various classes got blurred.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Special Ed and Chili Phil like this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I get a bath every Saturday night whether I need it or not. Thought I had one for ya, my bad. Still a cool car and I like the 200s on the reear with the 10 spokes up front. Looks all business.

egads likes this.
  4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Wow every Saturday night!

Somebody was asking on another thread if the 200 wheels were real, there you go.

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I do use some Harley Detail Spray, has a nice citrus smell and leaves me feeling clean and secure.

Chavezk21 and Sancho like this.
  6. Re-count... those are the original 12 spokes... LOL

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your killing me smalls. :cool:

8. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I like Febreeze Dog pound it keeps people look'n at the bottom of there shoes.

9. @Rolleiflex -
    I'm going to stick my neck way out here and say I love the spindle mounts on this coupe. The whole car is 3 shades of evil. Don't think the bolt on version would do the same. But, DAMN!
    [​IMG]

testdepth likes this.
  10. 5window

5window

Too many facts. Too many "facts". It is your car. Build what you want. Unless it is an exact clone, and I have no idea why anyone builds one of those, those who don't like your choice can, and should, take a hike.

testdepth, Stock Racer and Thor1 like this.
  11. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

Great read, I'm a low and slow guy. I'm looking for a chrome reverse wheel like the wheels we had in the sixtys. I remember we would take a Buick outer rim and weld in a center of choice after getting the two chromed and put a nice baby moon. Great looking wheel

Chili Phil likes this.
  12. Mike

Mike

I've heard the term "rims" used to describe custom wheels as long ago as the mid '70s, that's more than 40 years ago. The term wasn't very popular until it caught on with the younger crowd during the Fast and Furious era, so it seems like something new.

I call 'em wheels.

13. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

I deeply regret being the first one to mention wheels vs. rims on this thread......:eek:
    BeatDeadHorse.gif

14. Truthfully, the cheaper 10 spoke look way better to me.

badvolvo and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  15. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Its wheel for the anal....some just can't get past it.....
    I've heard chrome reverse rims my whole life and I'm sixty. I think it is just a need for some to just be right about everything. But to continue to comment about it in this thread is ridiculous as are the continuing comments about the front wheels.
    It's clear that rubber stamped belly button ideas and cars are the only thing some of you can handle.

16. Since you're expressing regret, do you see your mention as the horse or the guy with the stick ?

Oldioron likes this.
  17. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

Probably the horse's ass!;)

18. testdepth

testdepth

So I spent a few hours today locating the wheels I want for the rear of my truck and then find out that none of the wheel places carry these Wheel Vintiques wheels in stock. I called Wheel Vintiques a second time to verify they had them and they have none in stock. The guy tells me their machine to make their wheels is broken and he doesn't know when it will be fixed. Back at square one!!

I also checked HAMB classified by the way and when you search for "wheel" you get "steering wheels" so I guess I need to search for "rims". LOL

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Oldioron likes this.
  19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know the origin but black comedians use it in their shows all the time...."got me some rims..22's on the front and 26's on the back"

20. Damn.....that’s a good look!

D-Russ likes this.
  21. testdepth

testdepth

Blues4U likes this.
  22. I dig'em! Not sure what the consensus is here on chrome smoothies, bit I think they will look sweet on your truck. If you have long studs the baby moon caps may not fit without cutting. Post some pics when you get them mounted up.

23. Mike

Mike

Chrome smoothies are not a bad looking wheel, but they are what I consider a modern wheel. Chrome smoothies first appeared in the mid to late '70.s They became popular in the '70s, '80s and '90s because true chrome OE wheels were nearly impossible to find. Wheels and tires can make or break the look of a car, that's not a good place to scrimp. I would spend the extra dough for proper chrome OE wheels. Chrome smoothies don't look bad, but on a vintage build, they don't look right.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Crazy Steve and Mark Yac like this.
  24. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I'm glad you found what you like, I'm beginning to see you can't win around here.

25. There’s a million different wheels available because everyone likes something different. If you don’t pic what someone else likes ,,,,

Fuck it, I’ll run whatever kind of wheels and tires anyone wants to buy for me.:D:p

26. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

Let’s see em..