Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1958 F-250 build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Patty58, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Patty58

Patty58

Ok so I just bought a 1958 f250 project. Im 17 and am still pretty new at the technical part of hot rods. This truck is almost 100% besides paint and the fire kit that was put on new. Im leaning towards putting a 351w in it and placing it on a 4x4 frame (not originally 4x4) i'm just curious on a few opinions and tips anyone can give.

2. Welcome,do a profile and intro and pics of truck.Glad your in to the older stuff.

anthony myrick likes this.
  3. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Welcome. We generally aren't about 4x4's here, so look around and figure out what this site is about.

As a 17 yr old, one of the hardest and most important things you need to do is first figure out what you want the truck to do and be. It will be hard because you don't have that much driving experience to pull from, but it is necessary to define your build direction and avoid ending up with the dreaded never finished project.

I built my '51 Ford F-1 as a high schooler 20+ years ago, I also have two very good friends that built trucks in high school. One built a '58 Chevy and the other a '59 Ford (Original FoMoCo 4x4), so I know it can be done.

My recommendation would be to stay away from a frame swap, they tend to complicate things (even though my one friend did it quite successfully with the '58 Chevy) and most of the time it is a shit pile of work for very little gain, and frame swaps can quickly snow ball into nickle and dime situations that eat your wallet alive. So, unless you absolutely need Four Wheel Drive, stick with the stock frame, drop that 351W in there, and back it with a M5R2 or an AOD transmission and you will have a great cruiser with good street manners. The F250 should have a Dana 60 rear, which will take any abuse you can throw at it, new seals, gaskets, and bearings will go a long ways to ensure it never lets you down. Replace damaged and worn brake, steering, and suspension parts as needed and get after it.

4. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Not a '58. 1959 was the first Factory Ford 4x4. If it is a '58 4x4 it would be an aftermarket conversion, likely Marmon-Harington, Napco, or similar.

5. I do know someone with an intact Marmon Herrington truck that is de-Marmon Herrington-ing it....

A F250 Ford is a lot of truck, 8-lug, probably the 4-speed with the low 1st gear. Those came with a 292 IIRC. To change to a 351 is a heap of work. You should know the stats on big projects around here, for every 20 we see, 18 of them fail.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  6. FrozenMerc just gave you some grate info. Sadly he is right, this sight don't cater much to 4x4 stuff even if it is Old.

7. Patty58

Patty58

I'm not looking for the 4x4 for off roading and such i'm just wondering because it is unique and i've already got the frame with motor mounts, smooth suspension and such. Using the stock frame what would y'all recommend for improving the ride on a stock frame, I still plan on putting the 351w into it but i don't plan on lowering it.
    Thanks for the responses.

8. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

The best thing you can do for the ride will be to replace all the suspension pivot joints, bushings, and shocks.

If you don't need the 3/4 Ton load carrying capacity, you can look at removing a few leafs out of each pack (chances are you will find a few broken leafs if you open the spring pack up anyways). Removing a few leafs will soften up the ride, lower the ride height slightly, but also reduce the trucks load carrying capacity.

Other than that, it is a old 3/4 ton truck and will ride as such. Ride Quality was not at the top of Ford Engineering's priority list, it will never ride like today's Barbie Pickups. Extra or New seat foam will help.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    osage orange likes this.
  9. Pics, please, and tell us more about wheels, tires, rear axle, and the Y-block. I've got '60 F-350 running gear under my '29AA, and it uses a Rockwell rear (5.14/1), 17.5x8 duallies on six lugs. FrozenMerc is right about hard truck suspension, losing a few leaves and shopping for new foam padding. Bobss396 offers sage advice: Don't be like me and still be working on the same unfinished project after 43 years. Get it on the road - somehow, any way possible - and keep driving while you learn.

Texas Webb likes this.
  10. Luckily we have the antiquated forum here for such non hot rod related builds
    Nice seeing a teenager wrenching on old stuff
    I attempted a frame swap in high school and at the time my imagination was greater than my wallet and skills
    Swapping a 4x4 straight axle over to your stock frame is easier

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  11. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I think, and that means I am not certain, that the front axle from an F250 up through 1972 will be the right width between the spring pads. I think in 1973 they widened the frame 3 to 4 inches. With the correct front axle, a divorced transfer case and some lifting blocks in the rear, you will have a fair copy of a NAPCO conversion, in design, not detail.

12. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome @Patty58 , cool truck . As you say its almost 100% . These old trucks already have fairly decent brakes and steering ,when all working well. And they can be made to handle fairly decent with an original suspension , just keep in mind its an old truck.
    The frame swap will give you all sorts of grief for a first build , keep it simple and affordable and achievable ,so you can enjoy the build.
    Get a tape out and see how the 351 will slot in there and how it clears the steering etc. the firewall and trans tunnel will definitely need surgery.
    Perhaps a HAMBer has done this swap and can give you some pointers.