Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Levee Leveler (A Single Seat Racer Circa 1934)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cactus1, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Cool. What kind of wheel did you get, harbor freight?

Instagram: @39_deluxe

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Clever using all of the bat! Is the small solo piece kind of a corking tool of sorts?

cactus1 likes this.
  3. Yes, nothing too spectacular. I plan to do some stiffening of the frame and give it a whirl! Hopefully someone will start making lower anvils for the again soon.

I can't take credit as I'm sure I saw it somewhere and filed it away in my mind for later! I will add a handle to the remainder as well. I figured a cross peen would be handy. (Also useful as a handled corking tool.)

brEad, 1952B3b23 and Tim like this.
  4. Good to see you're going on this one again.

cactus1 likes this.
  5. Well “going” may be a stretch! But I am “thinking” about it, haha!

6. Wray Schelin has a video on YouTube called, polishing anvils. It describes how to clean up the anvils on a HF wheel. I’ve used one of his that’s been tuned up and it works half way decent.

cactus1 likes this.
  7. Yes! I’ve watched that video. He has posted some pics on IG of a home built XK120 project that that one of his students has made with an HF wheel. I’ll never have a good one so I’ll never know the difference, haha!

brEad and bct like this.
  8. Yeah, that’s Gerry Menke’s 120. I’ve met him several times at Wray’s shop, he’s a great guy and wicked talented.

The hardest part about shaping is developing the tool between your ears to think like the metal and interpret what the panel is telling you. Contrary to popular belief you don’t need to spend a boat load of money on tools to do this stuff. Having a nice English wheel is great for obvious reasons. But that doesn’t mean you can’t do a nice job with a tuned up HF. It’s more about the technique than the tools.

Okay my rant is over, lol. I’m sure you’ll do a great job. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

cactus1, JOYFLEA and Kroombit like this.
  9. SimonSez

SimonSez

Loving this build, look forward to seeing you back on it.

The late twenties Essex frames came stock with stiffeners that look a lot like that and they were a popular frame for early sprint cars.

Here's a pic of a stock Essex frame (upside down) that shows them ...
    20190617_112730.jpg

cactus1, Outback, Carter and 10 others like this.
  10. lake_harley

lake_harley

cactus1....any updates on the Levee Leveler? ........ anything?

Lynn

cactus1 likes this.
    brEad likes this.
  12. I realize this is an old post but I hope you see this and can help me piece together some information. I have an early 30s car that was built based on the K8 plans. I had thought it was a Ray Kuns design but after reading your post it was actually a Walter Klausler design and just published by Ray Kuns. My car used a T frame, a B engine, A front axle. I'm trying to find the article you wrote for Walter but no success yet. thanks [email protected]

Outback likes this.
  13. This is giving me inspiration to the MAX!
    Here's mine.. It's based on an 86" GEMSA frame. Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 11.58.36 AM.png

cactus1, Jet96, Outback and 2 others like this.
  14. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Wow! that looks great!
    @cactus1 any progress to report? Or any thinking about making progress to report? ?

cactus1 likes this.
  15. Man that’s cool! Thanks for posting.

Wow I totally missed this. So sorry! Unfortunately nothing new to report. About 6 different projects have come between us. Someday I’ll get back on her though!

Hey that’s neato! Keep on keepin’ on!

No progress to report at this time. Thanks for your interest though!

Outback likes this.