Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Save of the day!!(single seater)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tough call...I like both...

RRocket_Nerf-Final5.jpg

brEad and Cosmo49 like this.
  2. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I like them both. I will have to stew on it for a few days because I ran out of acetylene. No heating and bending here this weekend.

Stogy likes this.
  3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Good idea you have there. I do like to bounce ideas off my friends/online friends.

Stogy likes this.
  4. Fomocokid

Fomocokid
    from Rapid City

I showed your mockup to Kenny and Gary they were both on the no side. Kenny said it looks like a cow catcher on a train and would serve no purpose on a sprint car and we all know these cars were function over form. What bothers me the most about it is that your top bar is the straight bar. You look at any picture of a dirt car the bottom is always the straight bar. It is not period correct the way you want to build it and you have told me every time we have talked about this car since before you started on it that you want it to look like some kid built it back in the day. Not trying to bust your chops, just trying to push my point across the way you do to me with any of my builds.

Outback and brEad like this.
  5. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Well it's not a race car just a loose representation of one. The head lights are going to kill the look more than a low nerf bar

Peanut 1959, brEad and Stogy like this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Being a designer has its challenges...;)

Again I like'm all...tough choice Rusty

:D

RRocket_Nerf-Final6.jpg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    LSJUNIPER, Fomocokid, OFT and 2 others like this.
  7. oj

oj

I like the tubeular (or solid rod) one, I'd run a couple braces back from the bottom to the outboard bolts on the spring bulldog mount.
    Thanks for the tip on the Dorman studs, dunno if they'd work because the knurl really needs to be full length to pass thru the Buick drum and clinch into the wide5 hub. Your tip led me back to the dorman site and I found a different search form and might have found one. The big thing is you gave the the proper knurl diameter, until then I was just guessing. Thanks, I appreciate it.

8. Awesome pic there, Stogy! Certainly shows that the vintage track roadsters often wore a nerf kinda like that.

Stogy likes this.
  9. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I friend of mine had a pair of 1949 Farmall super C headlights. So thats what im going to use. They have a nice shape and are only 4 1/2" wide at the lenses. image.jpg

brEad, Blues4U, Shadow Creek and 2 others like this.
  10. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Did some work on the top hoop of my nerf bar, I made some bungs at the end of the bar and used an original hole in the frame rails to attach it. image.jpg image.jpg

kidcampbell71, Stogy, slv63 and 4 others like this.
  11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

12. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Aren't you going to want two mounting bolts on each side to keep the whole unit from rotating on those two bolts? Also, could you put a bend in that hoop so it flattens out after it goes over the suspension? Just my thoughts on the matter. I've been enjoying the build.

Stogy likes this.
  13. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

It will have a bottom bar that will tie the two together so one bolt at the top will do the job.

Stogy likes this.
  14. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Aaaaah, got it! Carry on, sir.

Stogy and jeepsterhemi like this.
  15. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Got the front nerf close to being done today. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

16. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

I like it. Well done.

17. The bar looks bitchin! Great job.

18. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Just got this today from a fellow and his brother in Ohio. IMG_1052.JPG

19. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

That looks like it could have run at Indy. I wonder what the wheelbase is, it looks long.

Stogy likes this.
  20. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Did you have any issues pressing the Dorman studs in?

21. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

My drums had the broken studs already out, I just cleaned up the holes whacked the studs in bolted the wheel on and tack welded the stud to the drum.

22. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Thank you. John

23. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I made some longer bungs at the end of the nerf bar to mount the headlights on. The lights really kill the look but i have to have them. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...I think it looks great...you mentioned I think extra support for the Nerf/Bumper perhaps running back from the aft side of the lower center curved bar to the lower spring u bolts? With only the 2 Tie ins thats a fair bit of weight out front as has been mentioned...(is that tube or solid?) and it looks as if pivoting on those points might be an issue with ground pounding. But again I think that looks really cool.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Peanut 1959 likes this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rusty_Nerf_Headlight.jpg

:rolleyes:...I added a T, Additional Light and a lower Brace running from the Lower Aft side of the curved Bar projecting back and tying in to the Lower Spring Plate and you then have 3 Points and the bumper will not potentially pivot up and down (Lower Brace was Removed)...I like this very much Lights included...Rusty Good Eye for Details...;)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  26. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I made a small tab under the top bar that is somewhat hidden so I do have four mounting points. A guy can just make it out in the close up picture of the head light.

Stogy likes this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

o_O...Gotcha...very clever :rolleyes: I just took that mount out...;)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  28. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

By the way just want to say thanks for all your help with the photoshoping. I've said it before it's a huge help getting my wacky brain wrapped around a certain idea.
    If you ever get down to the Black Hills bring your driving gloves so you can take a spin in the little jalopy.

brad2v, cactus1 and Stogy like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Rusty...for that offer and for the appreciation of the artistic photowork...many times I wish this group of us were closer so we could say a more personal hello but for now the Hamb offers a pretty good option. Your quite creative yourself. It's been pretty darn interesting watching this evolve...and what's even better is there's more to come.

sodakmini, brad2v and cactus1 like this.
  30. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

This started as a 1922 Big 6 (354 cu. in) Touring car that had been converted into a pick up.
    Says he narrowed the cowl by eight inches an dropped it three inches. The rear body work was made from $150 worth of sheet metal. The engine was torn down, inspected, and reassembled to stock specs with a valve job. Said he bought it for 3500 twenty years ago and sold 2000 in parts to Studebaker fans so it was an economical project. Says he is now working in a Vanderbilt Cup stye racer based on a 1914 Caddillac chassis and drive train.