Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Portland Swap Meet 2019

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DDDenny, Apr 1, 2019.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

2. I just posted a bunch of '55-'56 Ford parts in the classifieds that I'll have there. Can't wait. It's one of the best times of the year!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Might go just to escape the rain. Heard we have had twice as much rain as Seattle this winter!

4. redo32

redo32

Weather report says it's going to rain all week. But you know the weatherman can change his mind by Friday.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

6. CJ and I have a booth in D hall this year, got my 68 C10 full of parts to sell.

7. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

It was beautiful here last weekened, of course swap meet weekend it's going to rain the whole time. Regardless, I'll be there...a little rain never killed anyone. lol

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I've been off the grid for a few years as to participating as either a vendor or a buyer at the PSM so I don't have to worry about it but being born a webfoot you would think I'm used to rain, I am, I don't have to like it though!
    It's a given that there's the possibility of rain during PSM weekend but it can work in ones' favor as a buyer because it reduces the competition for those hard to find parts, weeds out the "Looky Lou's" too that clog up the aisles.
    As a vendor I learned early on as to the value of plastic milk crates for hauling parts as cardboard boxes last about two minutes in an Oregon downpour.
    We had a HUGE one last night.
    Good luck on the hunt guys and don't forget the photos.

9. dwollam

dwollam

I'm going but just for the day Friday instead of for the entire time for both swap meets. Supposed to rain here in Central Oregon the whole time too so not much different to be in Portland. Has it ever not rained at this swap meet?:D

Dave

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd agree with DDenny, rain doesn't necessarily have to be looked as a bad thing at Portland. You just go prepared for it with a big hat that sheds water and a rain jacket. It does keep a number of people home who are going more for entertainment than to buy and that isn't a bad thing all together.
    I spent my "Hobby" money on a used 16 ft car hauler trailer a couple of weeks ago so while I have something to haul stuff on I am short on spending money. More than that though there just isn't anything that I seriously have to have right now so I'll pass and watch the guys headed down and back drive past the house.
    I'll probably try to sell some stuff at the Tri-Cities swap meet and maybe the smaller Yakima swap meet this year.

11. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

This will be my first year for the PSM. Is it indoors, outdoors, or both? Is Friday a good day to go, or is Saturday better?
    I'm looking for 2 air filters/frog mouths, or something traditional for my Stromberg 97's. Also looking for 2 good 16" Ford F-1 steelies, and some 28/29 Model A hood parts.

12. its a mix of both, there are technically two separate swap meets, the one at PIR and the one at the EXPO center. The track is all outside and can be a real muddy mess, but lot of stuff. The expo is a mix of indoor and outdoor and all on pavement. PIR runs Thursday-Saturday and Expo is Friday-Sunday. You can walk each one in a day, but i recommend two days as there is a lot to look at. Like most swap meets first day is the best as the good deals will be snatched up quick.

13. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Are both swap meets geared toward the older traditional hot rod car stuff?

14. Rain? It's not the Portland Swap Meet without at least a little rain!

Ranchero59 likes this.
  15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

16. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

There's just about anything and everything you could think of there. Plenty of traditional parts to be found.

Taboo56Chevy likes this.
  17. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I've been to the PSM a handful of times where it didn't rain, it was great to be able to stop and chat with friends without feeling rushed or the need to run for cover.

saltracer219 likes this.
  19. Ks Muleskinner

Ks Muleskinner

If anybody runs across Shawn Kolbe the thief, from Beaverton Oregon how about putting a knot on his head for the money he beat me out of here on the HAMB on a pair of cracked Cal Custom valve covers plus shipping both ways and the promise of a refund that never happened. It wouldn't help my wallet but it would sure make me smile.

Irish Mike and HemiDeuce like this.
  20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Don't forget your camera/phone.

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@zibo works at the track, you might see his awesome A rpu there or his green 40 coupe

22. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

It is just like the weather at spring time at Hershey. Big difference is PIR has asphalt, where Hershey you can do the dance as you slide in mud down each aisle..

23. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I wanted to go but these old bones are not cooperating this week. Save energy and go to the smaller ones coming up. I am up to teeth in parts and need to recirculate to get room for new goodies. I just don't trust myself at PIR. I need that.... repeat...I need that too.....repeat.... oh and what that over there ?:oops:

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Watch out for the drunks on the Jazzy scooters later in the day at PIR. I got run over by one one year. He was too drunk to even comprehend what had happened.
    As for what you might find at either it is hard to tell. It's probably there somewhere as guys haul parts from a thousand miles in all directions. I saw a 46/48 Chevy coupe minus rear fenders headed that way on a trailer his afternoon.

25. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Picked up a set of 40 Ford steelies. The rust is just surface rust from sitting in the rain.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

48fordnut, Tim and RMR&C like this.
  26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, I thought about a set of them for my 31 A

27. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Went Thursday to the Race Track with no intentions of buying anything. Then I ran into this '39 Chevy coupe, and the next thing I knew it was mine. Way too cheap, with lots of extra parts. 9" Ford rearend, and a fiberglaass one piece nose. Also the stock steel hood, plus fiberglass fenders, and misc. other pieces. Seller is delivering it here Sunday morning.
    Looks like I'll be selling my '63 Falcon gasser to make room here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Several empty stalls at the Expo Center, did buy a few things.
    Saw a driver quality '49 Buick convertible for low twenties..seemed like a good deal.

29. wildwest

wildwest

I went all day yesterday (friday), was a good show for me. Some friends had a booth and I sold a few things they took down for me, and bought a set of Chrome hairpins, a front spring, some misc. stuff, and spent way too much at the Coker tire booth ! Saw a bunch of friends , good time ! Oh, and it only rained about 1/2 the day ! Plus the bus system from the parking lot was WAY more efficient in the morning than the fubar last year ! I think this makes about 23 years I have been going, only missing a couple years here and there.

30. If anyone runs into Harry's Hot Rods from Damascus/Boring tell them his cousin 'Big Al' from Nebraska wishes he was there instead of at the Wahoo Swap meet. See if that gets a reaction from him. I want to see how small this world is...