Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Out of my leage... '30 rolls royce touring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sloppy jalopies, Apr 3, 2019.

1. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Sorry no pix... I rode with a buddy to look at a 4' metal brake...
    nice guy, had a decent '31 coupe body / chassis, belongs to a buddy in his late 70's...
    fully restored dark green '29 ford touring...
    and the rolls... black paint, dual distributors, biggest wide whites I have ever seen...
    he was doing the rear fenders at the time and still had the top to do...
    I bought the brake.

VANDENPLAS and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

No pictures??!! Tsk, tsk....LOL

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

if you had a $250,000.00 car in your garage would you want some guy taking pix ?

Mr48chev and czuch like this.
  4. clem

clem

Your buddy won’t let you take pics of his Rolls .........???

5. clem

clem

Don’t see why not, if you drive it down the road people see it, take photos etc.
    A lot of cars out there with that type of value attached to them.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. 250 g’a ain’t much anymore when your looking at European luxury cars.

classiccarjack likes this.
  7. oj

oj

Imagine somebody taking a picture of a rare car, in your shop with tons of equipment in the background and then posting the pics on the internet?
    I get invited to bunches of private shops and I know I'll never get a return invite if I ask to take a picture inside the guys shop, if the car is outside at a show then it is on display. When it is at his house it you have to respect his privacy.
    When I'm in somebodies shop I don't even look around much, I'm not there to take an inventory, if I'm there on business I do whats expected of me and thats about it. Sometimes the host will give you a clue thats its ok to look and tahts when you can ask. I was looking at a chassis at a guys house and he had it laid out in the middle of the floor. I was walking around evaluating it and there was an engine on an engine stand adjacent to the chassis and I glanced at it to be sure I wouldn't bump into it. As I looked away I realized the hemi on the engine stand didn't have symetrical plugs, they were in a set of 2. I looked back at the engine to confirm what I was seeing and then looked at the owner who was watching me like a hawk. He seemed agreable and I asked him if I could look around into the other work bay and back bench, he said it was ok. I walked past that 1 Ardun and saw 2 more being assembled and in the other work bay was the worlds fastest flathead roadster. The man was Willie Glass and we became good friends for many years until his death. It goes without saying I never would have had the pleasure of knowing him or getting the grand tour of his shop if I had said 'Dude!' and took a pic of that engine on the enginestand.

8. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Oj has it right.
    Exactly how I go about it.

vetteguy402 likes this.
  9. J. Corrigan

J. Corrigan

Well google one and show us what it looked like

10. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

this was the closest I could find …
    1930-Rolls-Royce-Phantom-I-Trouville-1-e1502589348309-630x423.jpg

catdad49, bct, oj and 1 other person like this.
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, can't explain it any better than OJ did and that is something to take to heart.
    I seldom let anyone I don't know real well in my garage or shop unless there is a reason I have to. I've overheard too many guys tell people about everything they saw in someone's garage or shop too many times and you never know who is listening.

Back about 30 one of my students and now good friends pulled in my driveway one morning needing to borrow a tool and parked his car way down the driveway rather than pulling up the garage and made the kid who was with him stay in the car. Said he didn't know that kid well enough to trust him with seeing what was in the garage.

12. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Here's an old beater Rolls that seems to be driving around the 'hood on a regular basis. Great for making runs to Home Depot and the local watering holes. Just a big ol' sedan with black wall tires.....(!!!!)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    catdad49, oj and VANDENPLAS like this.
  13. clem

clem

Ok, I obviously misunderstood.
    I thought your buddy had the RR .
    Sleep deprivation and a stressful week don’t mix. My apologies.

oj likes this.
  14. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Wow! Am I glad to read these comments. I too am not a fan of strangers in my garage. Not that I have that much. I always liked the phrase " paranoia is just a higher degree of awareness".

15. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Early Rolls Royces sometimes carried far more rakish coachwork, like this torpedo by Jarvis:
    [​IMG]
    It was the inspiration for the elongated '26 T in my avatar <<

16. LAROKE

LAROKE

I was driving my '55 Chevy truck on the beach road one Sunday morning in South Florida when a string of Model A's passed me going the other way, probably the local AACA. I waved but got no response from any of them. Crossed over the drawbridge into downtown Boca Raton and saw a '30's Rolls town car approaching from the opposite direction. Still stinging from my encounter with the other guys, I didn't initiate a wave but the guy driving the Rolls shot his hand above the windshield and I waved back. That guy restored my good humor.

17. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Add me to the list of those that are wary of letting strangers into the inner sanctum. I have way too many tools, engines, transmissions, motorcycles and parts stashed in my shop to let someone roam freely and take inventory.

My shop is in the backyard, so when I sell a part or other item I don't need anymore I haul it around to the front garage attached to the house. I don't mind them seeing some cabinets, a rack of boots, a box of cat shit, a 1994 Roadmaster, a 2005 Camry and the controller for our alarm system.

Not much there that will tempt them.

classiccarjack and clem like this.
  18. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

"Don't be eyeballin my box of cat crap!":D

I am also wary of who I let into the shop, and even what is in the background of photos I post on open forums. I don't have super rare stuff, but it is my stuff, and it took me 40 years to accumulate it.

19. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My neighbor told me about when he lived in Council Bluffs that his wife and some other women had a garage sale and one of the women mentioned "tools" to draw potential shoppers in. After the garage sale was over he went to the shop to putter and a car drove in and asked about the tools that were on the garage sale. He told them the sale was over and there were no tools for sale. That night someone broke into his garage and stole tools and I believe an engine. There won't be any garage sales at his house ever again. None at my house either.

20. Dwardo

Dwardo

Did you say 1994 Roadmaster? :)

21. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes I did. The '56 New Yorker, '37 Buick and the '31 Ford are in the shop out behind the house, hidden from "street eyes".

22. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

I am on the opposing team here. My garage is open. Always has been. Friends and family know they can go to my place and help themselves. I do have quite a bit of stuff but nothing super rare or irreplaceable.

23. Dwardo

Dwardo

I have a '94 Roadmaster wagon and for some reason it is my favorite car that I've ever owned. I think because, to paraphrase the Hagerty magazine article "it says F*ck You like no other car".