Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical hauling a parts car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topher5150, Apr 3, 2019.

1. topher5150

topher5150

So the plan is to in the next week or two to make the two and a half hour journey to pick up this parts car. It's just the shell sitting on the frame, and the front axle. I'm rigging up some pneumatic dolly wheels to bolt to the back of the frame because there's no rear suspension. What's a good way to keep this thing on safely on the trailer?

2. Wooden blocks underneath and straps holding down, to the front and to the rear

scott27, blowby and patmanta like this.
  3. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Two come alongs. One hooked to a front frame rail to keep it from sliding backwards and one hooked to a back frame rail to keep it from sliding forward. Ratchet straps to hold down hood/trunk and another couple to keep doors shut. Bring extra straps they are handy to have when doing this.

WB69 and patmanta like this.
  4. don't forget the roll of Duct tape. Couple wraps around the B pillars, always works great on hold the doors shut. And what ever wants to take flight.

scotty t, WB69 and patmanta like this.

5. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I always keep 4-6 ratchet straps in the truck. I'd chain it at one end and tighten it down with a come along at the other and then strap the whole thing down like a mental patient (and re-tighten the come along if need be). If there's a lot of loosies, maybe tarp it before adding straps. I like the duct tape too.

czuch and GordonC like this.
  6. topher5150

topher5150

loosies????

.....never mind, no loosies just the empty shell. Could I run some straps through the door openings?

patmanta likes this.
  7. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

LOL, loose parts, stuff that's barely hanging on, etc.

As long as the doors are strong enough to take a little tension, sure. You don't need to crank it down super tight, enough to keep the body put down on the frame would seem good to me. The chains/come-along will handle most of the load.

8. squirrel

squirrel

we always used chains and boomers to hold scrap on the trailer....be sure to wire the boomers

scott27, 1stGrumpy and WB69 like this.
  9. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Hauling a parts car is little different than hauling a complete car and two come a longs isn't going to cut it. You still need four 3000 lbs straps on the vehicle and then you need to take care of all things that can blow off or from the car being towed. I have a large tarp that's four feet longer than my trailer for such loads, I then strap that down over the complete vehicle. Your responsible for every bolt and nut that falls from that gold mine your hauling home and the last thing you need is to pay for someone else to get a new windshield. Believe it or not a bolt on the trailer deck is an unsecured load and can get you a fine.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    scott27 and czuch like this.
  10. Bring a 4x8 plywood as a slide... U might need it

scott27 and squirrel like this.
  11. topher5150

topher5150

41.jpg
    not much there, he said that he wants to wait until it dries up a little to get his forklift out there.

40ragtopdown and MO54Frank like this.
  12. Lower body and floor looks pretty good after all those years.

13. topher5150

topher5150

that's why i'm jumping on it...and it has a Ford frame

14. looks like a decent body and frame. I would leave it up on the blocks, get everthing out from underneath and back the trailer from the rear. should get you more than 1/2 way loaded. hook up the winches and start pulling. bring some wheels and tire to make the chore a little easier. even if the front drums are locked up, adding a set of wheels and tires will give you a lot more ground clearance for dragging it up on the trailer.

15. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Awesome avatar!!

16. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

A must on wire tying the boomers....

czuch likes this.
  17. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

What crate engine is that? Doesn't look familiar to me.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On that one chained or strapped (with 3000 lb straps) at the front and chained with Boomers or strapped with ratchet straps at the back and you should be good, A strap though the door openings might be insurance.
    Clean out any loose crap that might blow out that isn't part of the car before hitting the road. It isn't fun to roll up behind a guy towing a parts car and have trash blow out of it and bounce off your ride when you are behind him.
    Harbor Freight has boomers for 15 bucks each right now but I usually find them at yard sales and farm sales.

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Two Ford wheels and tires that hold air, and a trailer axle with wheels & tires and you have a roller. Attaching the trailer axle is your deal. :) Bob

20. topher5150

topher5150

ok i give....what in the same hill is a boomer?

rust runner, partssaloon and squirrel like this.
  21. squirrel

squirrel

also known as a load binder. there are two different types, the screw type, and the overcenter type shown here

boomer.jpg

22. Snap, chain Binder

[​IMG]
    they make a hell of a racket when they release. they will put a hurt on you if you don't respect them

23. MARKDTN

MARKDTN

24. squirrel

squirrel

old used ones usually don't say "china" on them

25. finn

finn

Sixty four entries in Wiki, and none of them relate to a load binder.

Must be a Southwest colloquialism

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  26. squirrel

squirrel

that is likely.

27. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Looks like a super rare Hosereel Rotary to me :D

That's a really nice parts car!

J. A. Miller likes this.
  28. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Please, 2 come alongs not enough for that shell! He's not hauling from Cali to Maine! He probably doesn't have chain binders and large tarps laying around either, may have ratchet straps and come alongs, and they will be more than enough to handle that car. If its questionable throw a chain on the front and rear. Sheesh he isn't a professional trucker for heavens sake just a guy wanting to pick up a parts shell from what I can see.

topher5150 likes this.
  29. redo32

redo32

Thanks. I thought I knew what they were talking about, but I never heard them called boomers. I figured it was a regional thing until Mr48chev used the term too. I guess I'm sheltered despite hanging out with truckers.

partssaloon likes this.
  30. topher5150

topher5150

or i could just do this
    CAR.jpg