Register now to get rid of these ads!

8BA Flathead into 32 Frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jagalyn, Jul 18, 2010.

1. 3blapcam

3blapcam

C&G doesn't have them either. Anyone on here have any extras they'd sell?

3blap.

2. Try Honest Charlie. Mine came from them.

3blapcam likes this.
  3. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I'll be doing this as well so I appreciated the education. At first I thought it would be fairly straight forward but now I know it will not. Thankful for the HAMB braintrusts!

3blapcam likes this.
  4. clem

clem

Stock type fan won’t fit for my set up. 8ba in original chassis, with model A front cross member, ‘39 gearbox, ‘32 centre x member.
    I haven’t had a fan for the last 2 years, but it would get tricky if you are stuck in traffic.
    I have been looking at using an aftermarket plastic fan, that from side on sits flat against the pulley and the blades are all facing backwards, not like the stock ones that are half in front and half behind.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  5. I am using a stock-type fan on mine. It is the old 8RT type that you need to oil. Works well for me and has never overheated. It runs pretty damn close to the radiator but it clears the bottom CIMG1046.JPG hoses just fine.

6. clem

clem

2D6341A0-24F7-4957-BEE2-243D343C8337.jpeg

My fan seems to touch near the bottom of the radiator, maybe a wider fan when viewed side on, compared to the post above.

7. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Sidevalve… I think I actually have one of those laying around! I don't think I considered it because it's a wide belt pulley. I may have to try it after the show.

Clem... I bought one of those plastic fans in 15" because it has the flat face to it, but since I shortened the fan mount, I get a lot of interference with the water pump pulleys. I have another stock fan mount/pulley setup, but I'm not going to mess with it again right now because it'd take too much time stripping the red paint off it. I think that plastic fan will work fine.

I also saw a 2 blade (maybe banger?) that looked small enough to fit on eBay that was fairly cheap. But, am going to hold off for the time being.

3blap.

clem likes this.
  8. Very nice! What is the crank pulley? Desperately need to know.
    Thanks!

9. It is the early 8BA wide belt pulley.

10. Thanks! Let the search begin.

11. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Yeah, I'm not sure I've seen the pulley you're speaking of. Is the generator & DS water pump narrow belt? Looks narrower than the fan belt in your photo.

3blap.

12. No, they are all wide pulleys and that is a wide belt. That angle in the photo does seem to make it look like the one belt is narrower but they are both the same width.

13. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The '48-'53 truck and '49 Ford and Mercury cars used the same basic sheet metal wide belt pulley. The main difference is some have the crank seal sleeve as an extension, while the shorter ones need the separate sleeve.

14. 3blapcam

3blapcam

OK, so basically the 8RT stuff then? I think that's the crank pulley I took off in lieu of the 8ba. I'm not sure I know what sleeve you're talking about though. Anything that would push it out away from the engine would require different water pumps, right? And, I'm sure that's not what you're referring to...

3blap.

15. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is the sleeve below.

[​IMG]

And this is the wide-belt truck/car one piece pulley with the sleeve.

upload_2019-4-4_18-38-17.jpeg

3blapcam likes this.
  16. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

On the 8RT fan Bob Drake has a replacement that uses sealed bearings and does away with the oil.

17. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Thanks V8 Bob! I appreciate you adding the pictures!

3blap.

18. NB141FD

NB141FD

I know this thread has not had any action in a couple of years but I have a question that I have not seen addressed. I would like to put an 8BA in an aftermarket 1932 chassis. This build will not have fenders or hood. It will not have the original style wide front crossmember but an aftermarket narrower crossmember. I have changed the water pumps to truck style pumps, the generator will have a wide belt pulley and I have wide belt double crank pulleys. I plan on using a 2 belt system with one wide belt around the generator, water pumps and rear sheave on the crank pulley. The other wide belt will go around the fan carrier and front sheave on the crank pulley. My question is if anyone has done this type of install will it fit without any cutting of the firewall or major fitment problems. TIA, Tony[​IMG]

KiWinUS likes this.
  19. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

Any 24 stud motor in a stock 32 chassis with original 32 front mounts the belts rub on the 32 mount brackets , ya have to grind a lot of metal from the mounts

20. CIMG1046.JPG
    Is this what you had in mind?

21. NB141FD

NB141FD

Yes, that's what I had in mind. Just wanted to see if anyone had put an 8BA in an aftermarket (non original) 32 chassis using the double crank pulley and fan carrier (as in the pic above) without cutting the firewall or other major surgery.

22. 32.JPG
    As you can probably see from this photo I did not have to alter the firewall. I am using one of Gary's chassis from Cornhusker Rod. I am using a stock 8BA fan which does not offer a lot of clearance with the radiator but does a very good job of cooling.

23. NB141FD

NB141FD

That's exactly what I was looking for. Any idea where I can get a wide belt (5/8") generator pulley like yours? By the way, Gary Maxwell (Blackboard Hot Rods) is currently building my 32 chassis.

24. NB141FD

NB141FD

Sidevalve8ba, the only wrinkle I might have is that I'm using a stock 1930 firewall.

25. Are you using a Model A body? If so you could reverse the firewall.

26. NB141FD

NB141FD

I'd rather not, but I'll know for sure when I get my chassis and mock it up. Thanks