Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Buick 8 in A-D Chevy Pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MO54Frank, Apr 2, 2019.

1. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Ever since my family had a 53 Buick Special Straight 8 when I was a boy, I have been enamored by them. I also love Chevy Advance-Design pickups. So, almost naturally, I have wondered about putting a Buick 8 in A-D Chevy pickup. Lots of work involved I'm sure. Maybe too much. Lots of questions to find answers to. Anybody ever consider something like this, or am I the only crazy one. Thanks.

dogwalkin likes this.
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I have considered it. I have a ‘55 First Design (‘54 style) GMC and a few Buick Straight 8’s......a 263 would be the best choice as it is closest in length. Speculative plans included a Buick ‘themed’ build ......jury is still out.

3. LAROKE

LAROKE

There actually is one, here in South Florida. Sorry, I don't have any pictures. Somebody actually put a Chevy AD Body and bed on a Buick straight eight chassis. It looks just like a pickup on lowering blocks until you examine it closely and look under the hood.

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Always enjoyed working on the Buick straight eights. Got them to idle so smooth you didn't know if the engine was running...
    Had a glance under the hood of a beautiful '48 Coupe (Special) and there was a blasted SBC 'way down inside there...wanted to say, "Scat! Git outa there..."

Hnstray likes this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I very honestly don't know how you could do it without cutting a huge recess in the firewall and having the two back cylinders under the cowl/dash. A later model Chevy straight six barely fits without cutting the firewall.

Sent from my VS988 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

There are two lengths of Buick 8’s, the ‘short’ 248/263 and the 4” longer 320 series. Don’t have the measurements at my fingertips at the moment, however I have measured the shorter engines and the AD compartment length and they are not far off. Especially compared to the GMC, since those engines are about 2.25”/2.50” longer than the Chevy 6 and the Jimmy core support and radiator are already farther forward accordingly.

Part of my hesitation on such a project is......ahem.....an OT later GM DOHC Inline 6 that, while not “traditional”......has many advantages.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    tb33anda3rd likes this.
  7. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

A 216/235 has the rear of the head real close to the firewall and the Buick is two cylinders longer so some surgery would be necessary even if the radiator is moved to the front flange of the core support. The other route is to trim the upper radiator air baffle all the way to the hood latch plate but the core support must be reinforced. Pics of Buick engine and a 54 AD with a Duramax diesel--both are LONG.

Rueben's 65, Buick engine, adapter 009.jpg IMG_4399.JPG

MO54Frank and tb33anda3rd like this.
  8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yes, there are two more cylinders on the Buick, but the cylinders are smaller bore, and centerline to centerline of the cylinders is shorter on the Buick than the Chevy/GMC, so a Buick is not a full two cylinder lengths longer. Compared to a GMC 6 it is a matter of less than 3" as I recall. I can measure and post tomorrow.

Just as a matter of reference, I started doing engine swaps in 1961 (swaps, not engine replacements) and am aware of the various issues involved.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    scott27, tb33anda3rd and tractorguy like this.
  9. BJR

BJR

Wouldn't a nailhead V8 be a better swap if you want a Buick in a Chev? It would fit without cutting stuff.

10. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

From a Wikipedia article the 320 is 34 1/2" long and the 263 is 31 1/4" long (head length). I know I have seen the lengths of the Stovebolt and GMC 6's somewhere. If one could do it without pushing the trans too far back, that would help.
    I know they put 320's in Flxible buses back in the day. With 4 and 5 speed trans. One of them with a HD 5-speed OD would be so cool.
    Thanks BJR. It's not just a Buick in a Chevy thing. The Nailhead swap would probably be easier, but it's the Fireball Eight that fascinates me.
    Thanks for all responses.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    Hnstray likes this.
  11. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Buy a 1.5 tonner......looks like plenty of room for the big 8.
    [​IMG]

12. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

From one Frank to another, Thanks. The Big Bolts do have a lot to offer. But no more room between the firewall and radiator, I think.

Tim and Frankie47 like this.
  13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I have a few 248/263 Buick 8’s, a few later model Chevy 6 engines and valve covers from a GMC six in my shop. I will do some comparison measuring tomorrow and post the dimensions. That should offer a pretty good basis of comparison as to relative overall lengths, though not accurate to fractions of an inch.

tb33anda3rd and MO54Frank like this.
  14. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I'm thinking this would be a cool swap if it fits without too much hacking...A straight eight with split exhaust would sound pretty cool , on top of the fact they have tons of torque and run like swiss watches.

Hnstray likes this.
  15. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Wonder if you could relocate the radiator under the bed? Maybe use 2 small aluminum radiators off late model small cars, with electric fans?

17. The valve cover on the Buick 248 is on backwards.

Ben

18. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Not having seen my friends AD for more than a few years, I seem to remember the grills as being rather wide, like 1/2way into the fenders, far wider than the radiator is wide. I'm thinking you could put the engine in place w/o cutting the firewall, & as mentioned, section out the rad support. Let the engine go where it need to be - even the longer 320 should fit behind the grill. Now get carefully creative & like mentioned use 2 smaller radiators, but run them on either side of the mill so they'd be wider than tall, & running the supports & radiators to the outside edge of the grill area. It's there, may as well put it to good use. Use screening or ducting to protect the rad backside from rocks. Only issue I can think of, will be rather nose heavy. 'Course, no worse than a diesel... Should be slick when you're done.
    Marcus...

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It isn't width that is the issue there is plenty of width.
    The cylinder head off the straight eight is 34-1/2 inches by it's self and that doesn't count the length of the block plus the water pump's length. You are looking at fitting around 40 inches of engine in a 33 inch hole.

20. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The 34.5” length is for a Buick 320 cylinder head, not the shorter 248/263 series which is about 31” long.

21. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Damn Ben,
    You still have sharp eyes for an 82 year old but did you notice there are no hold down nuts on the valve cover studs; it's just setting on there to keep the dust out until someone returns my engine lift bar.
    Hnstray, glad to hear from someone that must be close to Ben's and my age and is an old time hot rodder. I did my first swap in 1953, a 303 Olds into a 34 Ford 5W, and have never stopped. I have a few Buick straight eights parts and pieces so can also provide a little info. What I can't provide a guy named Pete Phillips has a shop 15 miles from mine and he can provide ANYTHING Buick related.

Hnstray likes this.
  22. But that has been done! No fun there.

Ben

Hnstray likes this.
  23. LAROKE

LAROKE

322 Nailheads were factory options in mid-size Chevy trucks before the Chevy 348 replaced it.

24. Well, crap! No, I did not notice the missing acorn nuts. Did not even notice the poster was YOU.:p Also , that engine is a 1950, a one year only engine. How many folks do you suppose can tell us the tell.
    Think I would FUSS at the fella not returning something.

Ben

Hnstray likes this.
  25. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

I think the 322 Buick was optional in 55-59 Task Force trucks, never the A-D. Squeezing any V8 under the hood of an A-D truck requires modifications. Of course, this is a Hot Rod forum. Mods is what we (I mean you guys) do, right? Thanks for all responses. It's given me lots to think about.

LAROKE likes this.
  26. LAROKE

LAROKE

True. Usually requires something along the lines of offsetting the engine or steering box or both.

27. Just measured the 248 sitting in my garage. Tip of water pump to back of head is 36.5 inches.

Ben

28. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Thanks, that's useful info.

29. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

30. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The side engine mounts are one of the clues.