Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Bad Fuel Pump?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RednekYoga, Apr 1, 2019.

1. RednekYoga

RednekYoga

Hey out there,
    Trying to get this 289 ('63 Comet) running good, and was having some stalling issues so rebuilt the carb (two-barrel). It ran great for a day, and then started stalling again, and now, nothing at all. I checked the carb and it's bone dry even when I crank and floor it. I pulled the fuel line off the carb and cranked it...a drop or two was all that came out. Then I pulled the fuel line off the fuel pump (the one that goes from the pump to the carb) and cranked it and fuel came out of the pump. The line is not clogged, but for some reason no fuel is going from the pump to the carb. Is my pump bad?
    Any help is always appreciated.

2. Might not be building pressure
    Hook up a gauge and confirm
    Or get a new pump

Was the car sitting?
    Could you have a plugged filter/line/tank?

3. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Pressure and volume test is what you need to do. I'm sure others will correct me for accuracy but thinking back auto class (almost 50 years ago) output line from pump which goes to carb., hold a quart mason jar there while helper cranks on it. Should have about a pint in 15 seconds. Then put a gauge on it (they're inexpensive vacuum/pressure gauge if you don't have one). Should be about 3 to 5 p.s.i.
    Again...rough (close enough) numbers.
    Look at fuel in jar...should of course be clean.
    If pressure and volume fine out of pump, it will be same at carb...otherwise install new line.
    If fuel tank is very old, probably has trash in it.
    You're lucky. A new tank and sending unit or pump is not expensive and available.

Sent from my Bell Candlestick

Dan Timberlake likes this.
  4. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

crack in fuel line or rubber hose? get new pump check line from tank. blow air back thru it. check for bad rubber hoses or cracked fuel lines to tank.

5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Has this got the filter on the pump, if it does pull it off and have a look it will need a replacement.

6. 62rebel

62rebel

Cracked or split fuel line between the tank sender and the chassis hard line. Maybe even a hole in the hard line inside the tank sender.

7. 54vicky

54vicky

A lot of good suggestions but just so you are aware holding pedal to floor will only help if flooded it will not help pump if anything you will be draining the vacuum off which pulls fuel from carb into intake

RednekYoga likes this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

post a picture of the pump....we're pretty good at spotting bad parts....

(seriously, if it looks like it's been on there a while, it's probably a good idea to get a new pump. They go bad with age)

9. Fuel lines can suck air while not leaking any fuel.
    If indeed that is your problem,the pump has little chance of working

squirrel and 54vicky like this.
  10. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

Ford Pumps should be around 6 or 7 PSI.......If Diaphragm in pump is bad in will not Push the Fuel as Mentioned, with no connection you are probably just seeing enough Suction to generate Flow but no Pressure. If you hold a Thumb over the Outlet own the pump and have a Remote Switch to Solenoid you can see if you can hold the Flow. If it blows past your Thumb its not the Pump.

11. Is the engine oil level over-full, does the oil seem too thin, or does it smell noticeably like gasoline? Is the fuel tank properly vented?

Hollywood-East likes this.
  12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Yeah my ot Comet was getting hard to start after long not using [like winters] and it was the fuel pump..Only was 42 years old. Cut it apart after removed, diaphragm was so bad I don't know how it ran at all. New would be a win/win.

13. RednekYoga

RednekYoga

Oh man...thanks gents for all the great info! I'm gonna replace the pump and line and see what happens. It's definitely old.

14. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

It aint got no gas in it.

Hombre and fastcar1953 like this.
  15. RednekYoga

RednekYoga

I think it just has the filter between the hose and the carb.

16. RednekYoga

RednekYoga

will try that, thanks!

17. RednekYoga

RednekYoga

Just ordered a new pump. Can't hurt!

18. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Sent from my Bell Candlestick

woodsnwater likes this.