Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 57 is home

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Always looking for another one!
    Thanks man!

loudbang, lothiandon1940 and Squablow like this.
  2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Before the primer and some prep.I had the doors and deck lid chemically stripped...... well worth it and pretty cheap....
    IMG_3020.jpg IMG_3021.jpg IMG_3024.jpg IMG_3027.jpg IMG_3028.jpg IMG_3029.jpg

Todd553, dana barlow, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  3. Toner283

Toner283

Where did you get the chemical stripping done Jeff?

loudbang and Jeff Norwell like this.
  4. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Techno strip in Brampton Chris... I was impressed,...Saw a 40 Ford done.... 905-459-6196

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

We had several chemical stripping places around San Jose, Cali some years back...Think they went the way of most of our chrome shops...the EPA "offer they can't refuse"...

Couple of places in Southern CA., another in Sacramento advertises they can do small pieces, 2 ft. X 4 ft.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    loudbang, Stogy and Jeff Norwell like this.
  6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Mike,I was very wary of this process at first..... hearing about the stripping agent not being properly neutralized and leeching from folded metal and hidden c channel metal forms... destroying paint in a few years..... saying that.... I was pretty impressed by the process that i witnessed,
    But yea, Only one around this area that I know about.....

Good place to get rid of a body too.

ha ha

7. All I can say is Rum Runner! :cool: Just need Robert Mitchum behind the wheel!:rolleyes:

8. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

Love the short body 57..in 1963 my 1st car was a 57 custom. It was a 292 auto . Blew the motor picked up 406 3x2's and 4 spd. Got a lot of speeding tickets lol. Parked it in 65 when went in to navy .Came home from basic found out the old man sold it . Had 57 Ranchero in 2003 sold it to finish my 39 .Wish I would have kept it and sold my 39.

9. Toner283

Toner283

Thanks. Been thinking about getting my 59 done when I start working on it. Now that we've moved into the new place in Durham I actually have the shop space to be able to work on more than one project at a time. And my 59 has been at least four different colors in its life.

bobss396, Jeff Norwell and loudbang like this.
  10. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Love seeing the progress Jeff. This is going to be a killer car.

I had a small accident with mine back in in April of last year, so I'll be doing a lot of the same work you're doing soon. Keep it up.

11. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Sorry to hear Joe. hope it was not too bad.... love your Kustom....

12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Eh, bad enough. You wouldn’t believe how minor a hit this was to cause over $16k in damage. But that’s why we pay for insurance and it’ll get fixed eventually. Honestly, it’ll get a lot of the work you’re doing there that got deferred. The silver lining so to speak.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

mgtstumpy, Jeff Norwell and loudbang like this.
  13. I always have liked the '57 Fords and also the '61. The '59 I have came along and it was in too good shape to pass on. Someone fixed a small hole in the floor by the gas pedal, it was hard to detect. The inside front edge of the hood was rotted, acid dipped that and fiberglassed it, POR15 paint and primer over that.
    tiki_kings_show_2018.jpg

mgtstumpy, loudbang and Jeff Norwell like this.
  14. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Ugh.......... Not sure if you need one or how I could get it to you...but I have 3-4 front bumper cores,A few good gravel pans and grill parts.....That make me ill..... Sure wish you could make it to the Jalopy Jam Up this summer Joe......

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Love it....59's have a spot in my heart.

bobss396, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. For those of us that like 57-8-9 Fords and know what it takes to turn a rough one into a nice one and would like to "Not" do all that work, I might be able to help ya out. I would like to pass this 59 on. A family member bought it new and it needs Nothing but a new address. I had planed a Watson style paint job and a set of Astro Supremes, that isn't going to happen. If you have any interest and some Wallet send me a P.M. Please Do Not ask about it here on Jeff's post. Yes I spoke with him about doing this before just sticking it up. I do not need to sell this car but time is what it is and this car needs to be driven. Here's your opportunity to start with something as nice as a new car only it's 60 years young.
    P1010160.JPG P1010169.JPG

17. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Bitch'in 59 PnB!!!!!......

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. Thanks for the positive comments on the chemical strip place. I think I'll call them regarding some fenders I have; will make it a lot easier to do metal bumping etc. Although we're up in the Soo, relatives in Kitchener and Barrie brings us south a few times.

19. I agree, always wondered how a stock one rides. Mine is a bit of a handful with the cam, 4-speed and steep-ish rear.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Thunder Road.jpeg

21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Lots of progress.... just no pics..... hopefully the driveline will be installed in the next 2-3 weeks... just busy with work n life.....

401FB286-8C04-471E-AEBC-2968A64F6CA5.JPG

mgtstumpy, Stogy, OahuEli and 8 others like this.
  22. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Well. life is busy... Engine and trans are ready for install... Just trying to find time... since we moved, focus has honestly been building my new shop and studio,... the move to our new home has taken close to a year.. any rate..... hopefully all will come together soon...

My shop has taken priority.

1.JPG 2.JPG 4.JPG

23. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Raw Metal,Primer and the sweet smell of lacquer Thinner.... Moving along to hang sheet metal.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG

Torkwrench, mgtstumpy, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  24. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

A little bit more.
    8.JPG 10.JPG 12.JPG 13.JPG 14.JPG 15.JPG 16.JPG

Torkwrench, mgtstumpy, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  25. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Those parts look pristine, especially the fenders. How'd you go about getting the rubberized coating off the inside of the fenders? That stuff is a pain the ass to get off.

Great progress man

26. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I had the parts chemically stripped Joe....As I mentioned prior.I was nervous of that process..but it worked out well with the wash treatment.... I really wanted 60 years of crap off all the sheetmetal I could..... and it was cheaper in the long run.

Thanks Joe!

Stogy, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. PoTaToTrUcK

PoTaToTrUcK

Jeff,
    I was told by an old hot rodder there are only two colours, Black and ugly!
    T/F

mgtstumpy, loudbang and Jeff Norwell like this.
  28. Ford out sold Chevy in 1957! They did it in 1932 as well....go figure.....

Jeff Norwell and loudbang like this.
  29. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Moving along with the install......... a good day. 1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

30. Hmmm, soft plug in the Oil fill tube hole and what looks like Factory shortie cast iron manifolds. Care to fill us in? I've never been able to make those manifolds work in the 57-8-9 chassis.

mgtstumpy and loudbang like this.