Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Crimes of the PO... Help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazy Steve, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Well, the case of unintended consequences just bit me in the ass... What started out as a somewhat difficult-but-doable project (new clutch fan with a fan shroud) has devolved into a thrash...

First warning was when I went to pull the existing flex fan off, the bolts holding it on came out hard. After I got it off, the reason became clear; the PO used metric bolts instead of the 5/16-24 that were supposed to be there. I'm surprised the fan didn't fly off... Anyway, that boogered the bolt holes in the pump flange, so the pump now has to come off. Which means I have to remove the alternator/power steering pump brackets.

When whoever built this car did this, they didn't use any standard factory or aftermarket brackets... Oh no, it was cobbled together from miscellaneous bits, welded on, you name it. The alternator bracket, other than looking like Rube Goldberg designed it and being a bitch to adjust, didn't work too bad. But the power steering pump bracket has too much flex in it, with the belt squealing at low speeds. I did a semi-fix last year which helped some, but there's nothing more I can do with it as-is and it looks like it's threatening to break again. After looking at it, I've decided to just pull it all off and re-engineer it from scratch. I have a plan...

The fly in the ointment is the hoses will now be just a bit short. The pump looks like a '85 Mustang piece with the plastic reservoir and I'm assuming the rack is too. The existing pressure hose is 18" long and I need 2" more, but looking up a hose for the Mustang gets me one 45" long... way too much. I've looked at the various u-fab kits, but all of those furnish 90 degree end fittings, I need a 90 at the pump but straight fittings at the rack, 90s won't fit there. Even if they were long enough, Mr. Gorilla tightened them and by the time I got them disconnected (2 hours!), the fittings were chewed up...

So where are you getting your hoses? Can a hydraulic place build these with the right fittings? Here's pics of the fittings...

Power steering hose 1.jpg Power steering hose 2.jpg

I also had to pull the trans cooler to get the radiator out (mind you it's in front of the radiator) because of how the hoses were routed. Oh well, the ATF will mix in with the antifreeze and power steering fluid already on the floor... and I'll re-route the lines so it won't be an issue later.

The only bright point so far is I did manage to salvage the water pump by chasing the flange threads with a tap.

Any help with the hoses will be much appreciated!

loudbang likes this.
  2. Any hydraulic shop will be able to build the hoses to the length you need. As long as the fittings are available.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

OahuEli and Fordors like this.
  3. Any reliable Hose store can replace the hose using your fitting or even supply new ones..

Hose Power here in PHX does it all the time.. It is just a hydraulic hose nothing special

The Shift Wizard likes this.

4. They cannot reuse the fittings, they are crimped on, but I can’t imagine them not being available, we used to build them in house at the last shop I worked at.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. cometman98006

cometman98006

If you need brackets, I would highly recommend Alan Grove he has ads in the back of most hot rod type magazines. I to had a alternator bracket from hell that wouldn't work with the new power steering. He had a perfect one and it wasn't that expensive.

impala4speed likes this.
  6. I don't know everything about the crimped on fittings thing but I once had A/C hose portions replaced by a local hydraulic shop using the original (crimped, I think?) fittings for my Mercedes and saved over a thousand bucks. I say take 'em to an H/shop and see what they say.

7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Most hydraulic shops in my area, won’t crimp old fittings on new hose or put new fittings in old hose. Liability! They used to do anything I asked, but not anymore, your luck may be different. Those power steering fittings are kinda different than the more common type fittings.

Bones

lothiandon1940 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are adapters for about every rack, box, and/or pump that go to AN -6.

AN -6 is the same profile as JIC-6, which is a standard hydraulic hose size.

You can get those made anyway you want, or DIY.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  9. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

I am still surprised at the work done by supposed car people. Especially when a car is brought to the garage to have a problem sorted out. When you get the car up and look underneath and realize this car has been behind you going to an event. It's an OMG!!!! moment.

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  10. Boneyard51, loudbang and 57 Fargo like this.
  11. southerncad

southerncad

For your hose problem go to Premier Hose in Portland, great to deal with, reasonable & just stand there & wait for a bit & you got your correct hose!

loudbang likes this.
  12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Local auto parts store used to make power steering hoses, they could make anything you like. Haven't needed one in years but they may still offer this service. I mean a real parts store, the kind with a machine shop in the back, not the new chain stores.

loudbang, sidevalve8ba and Boneyard51 like this.
  13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That's what I did. Ford Saginaw pump to Chevy S10 Saginaw box. Bought my adapter fittings off of eBay and already had a AN-6 line with a 90* on one end and straight on the other. If you don't like the silver hose, spray paint it black to hide it.

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

Boneyard51 likes this.
  15. Found a local guy (!) in the next small town over that does hydraulic hoses, lived here for 40 years and didn't know he existed !!?? He said 'No problem', so that aspect of this will be solved...

All that's left for parts stores in Yelm is the chain outfits (with the dreaded computer parts look-up), the one independent that used to do this sort of thing went under years ago.

I looked at the various adaptors available, but they weren't quite exact matches for what I have. Most work on my avatar is pretty good, but some of the detail work leaves a lot to be desired. I'm slowly working my way through it...

Thanks!

16. I feel your pain!!! I am going through a similar situation with my car right now... glad to know I am not alone...lol.
    Chappy

17. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

Williams Oil Filter in Tacoma can make any thing anybody can possibly think of. When I worked for the City of Tacoma we had compactors that had 48 ft long 2 in hoses tested to 3000 psi that when they went bad they could make them overnight. Had power steering hoses made there for my Chevy as well as my 66 of topic mopar.

loudbang likes this.