Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ford V8 Top Loader Trans Question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 31fords, Mar 31, 2019.

1. 31fords

31fords
    from SoCal

Hi All,
    Newbie question. I am a little confused with my V8 top loader trans. A little background. Building AV8 using a 1942 Flathead/39 trans with Model A rear end. I had the the drivetrain all together and then noticed i needed to switch out the throwout bearing shaft as I will be using the Model A pedals. So I pulled the trans out switched the shaft and put together the drivetrain. Now here is my problem/confusion. I put the trans in neutral(i think) and I rolled the car forward and the transmission shook side to side. Almost like something was bent. I did not have this problem before. Below is what i have done to test.

1. Rear end jacked up, car in neutral(i think), the tires spin opposite direction and I get a clunk type movement at the u-joint.

2. Car in gear(tried all gears), tires spin opposite direction and the u-joint does not spin.

Is that normal? I do not have my trans supports in place yet but it was not doing this before i changed out the throwout bearing shaft. Below is a picture of my gears. Is this the neutral position? Also is a link to a video showing the clunk at the u-joint.

[​IMG]

Link to video

Thanks,
    Denny

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Put the rest of the clam shell together. The U-Joint isn't supported correctly as is.
    The reason the tires turn opposite direction is that's what they do unless it's a posi track.

3. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

As the Wiz said. Should make some rear mounts for the trans too.

4. rusty valley

rusty valley

looks like the inner cover over the u joint is missing too

5. 31fords

31fords
    from SoCal

I agree with everyone. This is just in mock-up phase. A rear mount will be fabricated. Before i changed out the throwout bearing shaft i could roll the frame around in neutral and no movement/clunking at the u-joint. I am just wondering why this is happening now since the change. I was questioning whether my picture of the gears is where it should be when the shift tower appears to be in neutral. Why when the shift tower is in gear and I spin the wheels does the u-joint not attempt to turn? I thought that is what would happen when the shift tower was in neutral.

Denny

6. Ed Angel

Ed Angel

Do you have the bolt in the rear ujoint that holds ujoint to transmission? If not this bolt pulls shaft against rear bearing and gives needed space for second gear synchro . Looks like second gear synchro is tight bound up ?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Atwater Mike and alchemy like this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy

Yeah, what Ed said.

8. 31fords

31fords
    from SoCal

I will check to make sure that the bolt is there and tight. Thank you for the suggestion.

Denny

9. oj

oj

I'd be giving thought to that Model A rear too.

10. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

The u joint won't turn because the spiders are rotating around the pinion

11. 31fords

31fords
    from SoCal

Update:
    I rolled the rear end back and the bolt that attaches the u-joint to the transmission was on there and tight. I could turn the u-joint by hand while in neutral and it was very smooth with no noise/clunk at the u-joint. I attached everything back up and the clunking is back when i spin the wheels. The only thing i do not have hooked up is the rear trans support. I will try to get that fabricated and hooked up to see if it solves the problem.

Denny

12. alchemy

alchemy

The bearing is in place in the front of the torquetube, right? How about assembling the rest of the clamshell stuff (inner and outer), and testing again?

13. Flashback58

Flashback58
    from Tucson Az.

It looks very much like the rear end is side loading the u-joint, please put the inner and outer clam shell sections on and try again. You'll have to pull the rear again to get the inner bell on over the u-joint. The u-joint shouldn't be taking any load except rotational.

If you're supporting the rear end on jack stands, with the weight of the car on the suspension, the u-joint is the only piece currently holding the rear in correct alignment. It should not be this way. Even rolling the car around could very easily injure yourself or someone else if the u-joint was to break.

14. 31fords

31fords
    from SoCal

Thanks everyone. Will update again once everything is in place.

Denny