Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 26 T Roadster Pick Up build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking good man. That’s the split loom stuff? Looks like it holds closed well.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes it’s the split loom, cloth looking stuff.
    And it really does curl snugly around the wires.
    I started out with the wires all tie wrapped but I found myself snipping all of them off because honestly the loom works better without them.

Once the loom is around them and they’re mounted in the T clamps it’s great.

drdave, brEad, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Another thing I can add is that one of the best things I did before starting this wiring project was to order a tray assortment of American Autowire terminals and their crimping tools to go with them.

They make really nice terminals that crimp to the wire and also the insulation OEM style.

Probably the best you can get. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  4. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Awesome job! I really appreciate the detail of using a regular terminal and heat shrink on the wire terminations instead of those ugly crimp on type terminals with the red/blue/yellow insulation collars. Your way really makes a professional finish.

Bobby

Stogy, brEad, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

This wiring stuff is consuming every bit of time I can give it.
    It’s coming along really well, I’ve got the engine wiring done and I’m working on the front lighting now.

Looming everything and mounting it with the T clamps eats up a lot of time but it’s turning out nice and clean.

6. brad2v

brad2v

Another in the many stages of building a car where you can work for 8 hours, and non-car people don't see any change. Keep at it Larry, car show season is upon us!

brEad, loudbang and Blue One like this.
  7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

It took some doing to get the wires loomed and threaded to the headlights.
    That along with all the work associated with the T clamps for mounting took all day yesterday and part of today :D

Finally got it done now I can move on to the wiring inside the headlight buckets.

While I was at it I mounted a little Fiamm 133 dB horn on a mount I made to fit it under the engine mount.

Wired that in too.

2B8D4CAA-DAE2-4A28-9B8B-5C6FA64CA855.jpeg 2D534C2F-57EB-4413-8F53-02F56DC9805E.jpeg 2787AEF0-C129-4725-9621-8962CB451FE3.jpeg C7C78D15-001A-473A-89F6-CC3619000EEF.jpeg 1EDD23D7-B356-4BA5-BB49-D0B096EEFE02.jpeg 21697767-D4B5-41F7-88F7-75E10692FF7C.jpeg 414E4244-997E-4E59-82CB-8A62225A3B94.jpeg

8. Lookin good; but you gotta get those screws clocked right. :D:D

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:D I’m particular about doing a nice job but I’m not that anal :D:D

loudbang likes this.
  10. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Hey, Slotted screws are tough but Phillips? C'mon, tweek 'em just a bit. (unless you torqued them););););)

loudbang likes this.
  11. The proper term is precise not anal.;)

loudbang likes this.
  12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Good spot for that horn that’s a great idea!

Out of curiosity are your homes for the clamps pre drilled or are you going threw that nice new paint and installing them as your wiring?

loudbang likes this.
  13. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

I haven’t looked in on this for a while. Awfully impressive.

loudbang and Blue One like this.
  14. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

The proper term is nuts , as in ill , not well .

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’m drilling through the paint and then I use a paint pen to coat the hole.

Then I put the rivnut (Most of them are 10x32 ) onto the installation tool and give it a liberal coating of paint too.

Then in the hole it goes and gets crimped down tight.

brEad, loudbang, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Headlight buckets wired up, I used heat shrink glue lined bullet connectors so that I can disassemble everything in the future without cutting wires should the need arise.

In that event the wires all need to fit through the 1/2” holes for the wiring conduits through the headlight buckets and the grille shell.

The parking lights and turn signals are included in the top lights on the repro guides. :cool:

23135028-B4F5-4871-9537-630F870BCCF6.jpeg

Shadow Creek, OFT, brEad and 3 others like this.
  17. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Yes the loom is time consuming, but it sure makes the wiring kind of disappear. Love how this build is coming out.

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Blue One what brand of connector did you go with in the Buckets and ultimately where did you source it?

I just saw your post in the other thread...:D...you just added it...thanks

19. trollst

trollst

I don't think you'll like the sound of a single horn, I'd go with two, is that wreck gonna see road time this year?

loudbang likes this.
  20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:D Yes the plan is road time this summer.
    The single horn will suffice, it’s plenty loud and it’s compact.

Hoping not to need it too often :D

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Got them here in town at Gregg’s an industrial supplier.
    AB0FF10A-D30C-4A6A-99EC-C209177E57EF.jpeg

Stogy, Shadow Creek and loudbang like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know of that brand I have used a different type of crimp ring made by them they are well established and a force...goodo...I have considered a potential headlight swap...not carved in stone but that would made it more user friendly if I want to swap it out.

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Headlights are done, routing wire to the rear is giving me fits but I’ll get it done :D

24. I may have missed it somewhere and went back and looked but didn't see it....at the ends of some of your split looms it looks like you used heat shrink tubing and at other junctions like where wires split off it looks like you are using cloth tape. Is that correct? Looks fantastic!

Stogy, Blue One and loudbang like this.
  25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’m using some shrink tubing where I can and at other junctions I’m using a rubber wrap that bonds to itself when wrapped and stretched a little bit.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dei-010491/
    The stuff works really well, looks good and I like it better than cloth tape.

9AC9F821-AA1B-44E7-AF86-C335D47C82A0.jpeg

I actually found some stuff locally (because I ran out of the little 2’ long rolls that came with my loom:D) here that works great.

It’s obviously for a different purpose but it’s the same stuff and really works.
    A37AE5CC-04F5-4D14-B6CD-5918556AFEF4.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Shadow Creek, OFT, brad2v and 6 others like this.
  26. Excellent, thanks! I used the same split loom in my Merc and heat shrink, but had troubles making nice junctions when I split wires out. Your junctions look nice and clean and the look I was hoping for but missed the target. LOL

loudbang, Blue One and Stogy like this.
  27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Welcome to my nightmare :D
    I had to get the wires to the rear of the car for tail lights and the fuel gauge.
    Unlike the front which was pretty straight forward (pun intended :D) the rear was especially tough because with the exhaust, rear suspension, brake lines etc., etc., there was really no easy way to route the wires to where they had to go.

I decided that up the passenger side kickup to the outside of the frame would be best to avoid everything else.

That was complicated by the fact that the battery box is also mounted there :(

So in order to accomplish having the wires go up the back of the kickup to the outside of the frame I fabricated a little bracket that bolts to the frame to hold the wire loom with T clamps.

The take off above the top T clamp is where the wire goes out to the fuel gauge.

Probably overkill like everything else on this build :D but it gets the job done and the wires are going to be safe and secure.

A lot of work for something that is completely hidden once the battery is back in place and the side panel is back on.

But I won’t have wiring problems with the rear lights in the future. :cool:

Like I said welcome to my nightmare :D

61545564-8BDE-4221-BE6D-4BCC050DD934.jpeg

brEad, brad2v, AndersF and 4 others like this.
  28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

What are you using to drill these new tiny holes? On a near complete car I’d have a hard time getting it dead on with out a big ordeal

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The holes for the 10/32 rivnuts are 19/64” and any 1/4” rivnuts take a 25/64” hole.

I’ve got a right angle air powered drill and an assortment of shorty drill bits.

The main problem is trying to be strategic with where you place your fasteners, some places on an assembled car are impossible to get to.

I had to do some disassembly to run those rear wires. :D

brEad, loudbang, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

And by the way, the guys who say a model T based hot rod is easy to build?

I’d like to smack them in the side of their heads :D
    Fun yes, easy no :D