Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Another wheel size question 64 Pontiac

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by parttime1, Mar 31, 2019.

1. parttime1

parttime1

Hi to everyone. I just joined the forum. I love this group I have learned a lot of great information about my 64 Bonneville here. I have searched and cannot find any info on my question. I hope I’m posting in the right section. I am doing a budget build on a 64 Bonneville driver. I am doing a front disc brake conversion and cannot find anyone who can give me a definite answer. The wheel manufacturers tell me they will not give advice. I have read the factory 14 inch wheels will not clear the disc brakes. I am leaving the factory suspension and ride height original. I’m leaning towards a 15 or 16 inch 5 spoke type wheel. My question will a 8 inch wide wheel with say a 235 tire fit without cutting or altering anything? Or stay safe w a 7 inch wheel and a 225 tire. I’d like to go as wide as possible. A lot of the wheels I like either don’t come in a 5x5 or they do not make a 7 inch wide version. The car currently has no brakes and has only run on a portable gas can recently in the last 30 years so I cannot go to a tire shop. Once I put the disc conversion on I’ll have to have the right wheels the first time around to get it off jack stands. I’m trying to save my money if I need a transmission adapter and 700r4. Thanks for your help. Here’s a picture of the car

Attached Files:

2. wvenfield

wvenfield

If it was me.......it's not......but if it was me......I'd stick with 15. I don't care for the look of anything bigger than that on a car like this. (really nice car BTW). I'd stick with 7 inch as there should be quite a good bit to choose from. 15 inch 5X5 7 inch was used on mid 90's Caprice's, Astro van's and trucks.

I can't say 100% but I have to think an 8 inch would fit. My uneducated opinion.

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty much any 15" wheel will do. There's a few rare OEM 14s that clear discs but nothing in 5 X 5 1/2 that I can recall off the top of my head. That's a classy Poncho there, and bucket seat version at that. Where you'll have issues with an 8" wheel might be out back. A lot of the GM cars from that time didn't offer any generous rear wheel spacing without going out too far. Since it's up in the air you'll be able to measure the max area available, but leave at least 1/2 to 3/4" side to side movement. She's a big one and will likely have a little measurable travel that way.

I don't know what the market value is on 5 X 5 Pontiac Rally IIs. They were used in the late 60s-early 70s on some cars but might be hard to find. That's tough car to pick an aftermarket wheel for. It's not really "muscle", and it's not an old grampa car either. Natural finish Torque Thrust with blackwalls, or a bright 5 spoke with thin whites? Glad I don't have to decide;)

upspirate likes this.
  4. 5x15 Rally II's are only 6" wide. Never saw wider. Not say someone can't find a listing for 7's or 8's .Maybe aftermarket..Ames?

5. The early Pontiac has a larger stud pattern than a chev passenger car. I would for now just get a set of 1980 or newer Chev or GMC 1/2 ton 15 inch wheels. they will clear disk brakes. and puton some type of hubcap. some are even rally wheels. you can find them in various with and offset.

6. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a nice looking Bonnie Convertible! Jealous I am. NOW DO AN INTRODUCTION.
    There are articles out there on how to measure your car for wheel fitment and offset, usually by placing a straight edge on the brake hub face and measuring clearances at various locations, including with the wheels turned lock-to-lock. Elaborating on what others have said. Original wide 15" x 5" pattern Pontiac wheels are hens teeth at this point. There are now reproduction wheels, available from the various Pontiac restoration houses. Also consider having the centers removed from 14" Pontiac wheels and welded into 15" shells. Like Old Wolf said, late GM truck wheels could be temporarily used as a starting point to see what might fit and clear.
    As for the 700r4. it is a good trans, but the 200R4 will fit better in the space and can be had in the dual mounting pattern case - BOP + Chev. No adapter needed. Scour the wrecking yards for one. Grand Sport Buick Regals are the best bet but getting harder to find.
    Good Luck

7. As far a trans most 64 Pontiac engines used a bellhousing mounted starter. you need to check to see if your engine will accept a block mount starter.

8. Bruce_C

Bruce_C

I agree that ames should stock this

9. Danscig

Danscig

I had the 8 lug wheels on my 64 Catalina so I'm not sure what steel wheels fit, But you'll need at least 15" wheels to get some decent disc brakes to fit. I put Willwoods 4 pistons on and they wont clear 14" wheels. Get rid of the slim jim trans, they suck big time, and no one is left that knows how to build them. You will need a later year flex plate so you can get a converter to bolt up. A GM 350 or 200R should work and fit ok.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  10. 64 Bonnies didn't have Slim Jims.
    Oh, and a torque plate is something used for honing a block in high performance applications.
    Carry on..

egads likes this.
  11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Not entirely accurate. Buick, Olds, Pontiac and Cadillac used 5 x 5” lug pattern on full size cars ‘forever’. Chevrolet (passenger cars) adopted the 5 x 4 3/4” starting ‘49 and kept it until the ‘71 full size models (and C-10 pickups) adopted the 5 x 5” BC and retained that thru at least ‘76 on the bog cars and trucks much longer. I am a little ‘fuzzy’ on the downsized ‘77 thru ‘90 cars, but the ‘Hovercraft’ Caprice from ‘91/‘96 used the 5” BC, as did the other rear drive Buick, Olds and Caddy.

So there are numerous 15” with 5 x 5” BC with 7” wheel width In both steel and various factory alloy wheels to consider.

There really is no compelling reason to go to an 8” wheel on your Bonneville other than your choosing to do it. Unless the chassis/suspension received extensive performance mods ($$$$), a 7” wheel with decent rubber will be more than adequate for anything you are likely to want it to do.

12. Ray , The 77-90 wagons were 5" for sure. Not sure on the sedans either.. Could have been 4, 3/4 .
    Getting older every day here, but it beats the alternative. LOL

13. parttime1

parttime1

I really appreciate all the feedback from everyone. I do not like big wheels on full size classic cars. I was leaning to a 15 inch wheel. I like the torqu thrust style wheels and the rally 2s I also like a couple of wheels that Rocket wheels makes. I am not going to hot rod this car. I want to make it a reliable sunny day cruiser with the top down. I read a year ago on this forum about the early 64 blocks were not drilled for a starter. In fact the starter mounts to the transmission on this car. So the 200r4 is a better fit than the 700? That’s good to know. I will still have to buy the adapter to bolt starter to correct? and have a custom driveshaft made? I just found rally 2s on Craigslist

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/wto/d/cumming-pontiac-rally-2-rims-4/6850277069.html

They look clean in the picture. For another $100 I could put new 15 x7 inch torq thrust on it. Again I really appreciate you’lls help. I may have a few more questions for everyone as I get closer to my first drive around the neighborhood.

wvenfield and Hnstray like this.
  14. Danscig

Danscig

Looks like my old brain skipped another tooth. I meant FLEX PLATE.
    I didn't notice his was Bonneville. I guess my eyes are going too.

15. egads

egads

Kind'a like the classic Cragar S/S 243.jpg

16. parttime1

parttime1

That’s a good looking Catalina. I wish mine looked that good. I’m going to have to get my front bumper rechromed the finish is flaking off. My rear bumper is in good enough shape to use as a driver.

17. Great looking Bonneville! I have a '64 Catalina 'vert that was my first car. A million years before there were disc brake conversions available, I modified my lower A arms for '69 spindles and discs. The original 14 inch wheels would not clear, just as you have said. I used the 15 inch '69 wheels which are 6 inches wide if I remember right. Planning on putting Astros or Buick Skylark wires on it when I redo it. You shouldn't have any troubles fitting 225/75's on it. I've run 215/70's on mine for 30+ years with no clearance issues, but mine is lowered waaaay down, so you could certainly run a taller tire.

18. parttime1

parttime1

Dr Dave I appreciate it. 225/75 r15 it is. I may buy those rally 2s I posted a link to or go with torq thrust 2 in 15x7. Thanks everyone for your help

19. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Your profile info doesn’t say where you are from (often helps in answering questions) but around here (Midwest) I would avoid used rims if I have other choices. I bought 6 Rallye II rims (3 sets of pairs) off Craigslist and all turn out bent or too rusty (had a friend stop and pick those up and he didn’t even look). I used them for hose reels and grinder stands. Maybe you are not in an area where rust is an issue with 50 year old rims. Buy new 15” rims imo (I like steel w poverty caps on my Pontiac’s but that’s just imo). Regards, Randy

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. If you use a 700, you'll need an adapter for the Chevy pattern but I'll bet it will fit under the floor where that big 4 speed Hydro is.
    The block should have the pad, if not the bolt holes. It can be drilled but not a shade tree operation. I'd probably tap out a pattern out of aluminum , using a few of the pan bolt holes too. I'd do it on a mill too with it all squared up and level. Holes are relieved of a couple of threads too. Needs to be precise if you want the starter to run right.
    Of course, rather than stripping down a 389, probably best to use a 400 anyway or a 65-66 389 block.
    Crossmember can be moved on the frame. I'd count on re-sizing the driveshaft. Use a T350, 200, 700 yoke that takes the T400 (1330) U- joint.

21. Gman0046

Gman0046

15 inch Cragar SS wheels. HYq2SbttQgeNAfh%02YAZQ.jpg

22. Poncho60

Poncho60
    from N Illinois

If it's a true 64 block it should be drilled and tapped for the starter. On A bodies the starter bolted to the block but on B bodies it bolted to the bellhousing. However all the 64 blocks were drilled and tapped regardless. Should not be an issue!

23. parttime1

parttime1

Poncho 60 that is great to know. The car has been owned by my dad since 1965. It is the original engine. It has been rebuilt 1 time. If it is drilled for a starter that will really save on transmission swap. G man thats a sweet looking Catalina. Is that a 62?

24. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

I would go chrome reverse with skinny whitewalls.

25. My vote is for 15 inch Astro Supremes, 15x6 size, with 225/75R15 skinny whitewalls. Then lower the suspension on the car 2-3 inches. Nothing else required, except drive and have fun.

26. Gman0046

Gman0046

parttime1, thanks for your comment about my Poncho. Its a 60 Catalina.

27. parttime1

parttime1

I’m hoping one of you’ll can help me decode this vin number. I’m guessing by reading the tag in the driver door this car was 35,499 built? Thanks guys I’m hoping it’s a later year model that may have holes for starter I’m pretty sure I see 1 upload_2019-4-7_20-33-53.jpeg

upload_2019-4-7_20-34-27.jpeg

28. wvenfield

wvenfield

8 - V8 8-Bonneville. 4 - 1964 D - Doraville Georgia.

29. When you change from drums to disks a lot of things can change regarding the caliper clearance. Many of the original wheels were designed to clear drums but with disks, you may have to consider a later model or aftermarket wheel. Every case is different depending on what changes are done to the brakes. The attached graphic sort of explains what and why.
    wheel comparison.jpg