Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1939 Ford Floor question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by allanjon, Mar 31, 2019.

1. allanjon

allanjon

Hi everyone, I am building a 39 2 door Ford coupe, I have an area by the doors which has a gap about 1 1/2 to 2 inches which looks down to the ground. Is there a repair for this? Also are toe-boards for this car supposed to be wood or metal? Thanks I will start photos once I figure out how to do it.

2. The toe boards are wood. I just finished the ones for my 39 Tudor. 20190330_173446.jpg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. The gap that you are seeing I am guessing is between the rocker and the inner door frame. As long as your rocker isn't rusted away, that gap is there from the factory. There is a metal strip that screws to the top of the rocker that holds the carpet or rubber flooring edge down. I call them sill plates but dont know if that is the right name or not. The sill plates have a rubber gasket the fills the gap at the bottom of the door. They are a separate seal from the door seals. And will fill the gap. When the running boards are bolted on you would see the running boards not the ground as the bolt right to the side of the frame.

4. allanjon

allanjon

The toeboards look so thin, how thick are they? Do they bolt to metal under the wood? Also do you just trace a pattern and cut it out? Thanks again.

5. They are 3/4 inch plywood. They look thin because of the angle of the bottom cut. They bolt down to the floor edge at the bottom and the bottom off the firewall at the top, with gaskets around them to seal it up. I bought these from Bob Drake. They come with all the pedal holes and mounting holes in the right spot. They were about 55 bucks, so not bad considering it be 20 bucks just to buy the wood to cut them out they need to be a good fit for the seals to seal up good.