Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

:cool::cool::cool: They gonna pay you royalties or some sponsorship money or something for the use of your car's image?

Stogy and enloe like this.
  2. I wish. I do have the distinction of being on the hottest of the three sauces they offer.

Stogy, Woogeroo, tomkelly88 and 6 others like this.
  3. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

At least you should get a lifetime supply of 'Nitro'!

Stogy, loudbang and enloe like this.
  4. I wish. The nitro Schumacher sells is from China. Most everything is after Angus stopped making it available for racers. The us made nitro is alot more expensive. There are no local distributors by me so tack on shipping to that.

5. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I'm pretty sure @GearheadsQCE means a lifetime supply of Nitro hot sauce!

6. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

7. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Other than going fast, and occasionally destroying race car parts, what else is nitro used for? There aren’t enough nitro race cars to seem like a viable import market.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  8. It's used in the dry cleaning and agricultural business.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  9. I grabbed two bottles. I'm not into hot spicy stuff.

10. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

So that might be a lifetime supply? :rolleyes:

Stogy, loudbang, enloe and 2 others like this.
  11. For me yes.

Stogy, loudbang and enloe like this.
  12. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

During the Olympics in China we paid $1800 a drum and shipping from Pulde. Sooooo, right around $2200 a drum.o_O

Stogy, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. The current price from Schumacher's is 1300.00 at their shop.

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Does that stuff have a shelf life?

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  15. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Back in the pre-OSHA days I remember hearing that it was also used to clean printing presses.

16. I'm not aware of a shelf life as long as the containers are closed tight. A hydrometer test will show if it picked up alot of moisture.

17. Now that the snow is all gone it's time to get some miles on the car. I think it's ready. The street tires and muffled zommies are on. I have the nitro pump disengaged just so I avoid any temptation to get crazy. I will take it to lunch in town tomorrow. 20190419_201008.jpg

rsss396, Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 7 others like this.
  18. Define muffled? Do you have baffles or steel wool or? And do they make a big difference?

Stogy, enloe and loudbang like this.
  19. I have a louvered tube wrapped in fiberglass inside the pipe. I purchased the pieces from heart throb exhaust located in Minnesota. There are detailed photos on this thread when I did a set for the early hemi. As far as loud it's still loud. They do make some difference. I have yet to be pulled over by the police. I always wear ear plugs in the car. I need to preserve what ever hearing I have left.

20. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

racer-x, Stogy, porkshop and 3 others like this.
  21. 20190427_185923.jpg 20190427_185811.jpg 20190427_160801.jpg Resized_20190427_182256.jpeg Thanks had a great day with my hemi and squaring its chassis. While we were at it the car got scaled. All the four link holes were put into a cad program. What I thought I had was not what I really had. My instant center was very short. That explains the tire getting driven into the rim. We will test it out next week with a longer instant center. It should hit the tires not as hard and apply the pressure longer. It won't be so violent. The shocks couldn't control the launch.
    First we set the wheelbase. The king pin location was used along with the rear axle.
    Then the rear end was centered. I used square aluminum tubing bolted to the axle flange. It made measuring to the four link brackets easy. The wishbone track locator was adjusted accordingly.
    Next was pinion angle. I have a digital unit I bought from harbor freight that works great. It's way better than the craftsman swinging gauge. It was set at 3 degrees pinion down using the upper left bar for adjustment.
    The upper right bar was set next for neutral preload with Mark in the car. He weighs about the same as me. It took one flat to set it neutral.
    Finally the anti roll bar was set to neutral with Mark in the car.
    A tip for anyone trying this. The upper right bar needs to be disconnected along with the wishbone and anti rollbar before you start. If you don't do this as adjustments are made things will bind causing false measurements. A single point should support the weight on the rear end. If two car stands are used the rear won't be able to move as needed. It takes some time to get it all set but it's worth it.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  22. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Interesting, I like the computer program that you used. What one is it? I hope to be doing this to mine in by the weekend.
    Tony

loudbang likes this.
  23. tony to scale your truck it has to be set up as its raced. you need measurements from the ground to the holes in the brackets. the full weight of the truck at ride height is needed. the program we used was a cad system. I have a program called chassis wizard. its almost the same thing. I can borrow it to you when you need it. to measure everything and input the data takes a full day.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  24. I made the commitment to have t shirts made. Joel naprestak that goes by the race car artist will be handling the art work. Joel made the art work for the 65 dodge years ago. I recently hired him for the George Ray's memorial race. Here's a few samples of his work. George Rays ART-2-COLOR-merged.jpg George Rays ART-2-COLOR-BACKmerged.jpg IMG_7799.jpg George Rays ART-2-COLOR-merged.jpg George Rays ART-2-COLOR-BACKmerged.jpg IMG_7799.jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  25. The good the bad and the ugly over the weekend. The vintage torque fest was fun. It's a great show that does alot of good for families with kids that have congenital heart defects. We went on the cruise that brought us to Galena Illinois. The car ran great. We did our interviews and filming for a upcoming TV show Saturday morning. We had to get the truck and trailer out of the show area before the gates opened. We pulled into the parking area across the street. The rig sank in the soft grass. It took a big case tractor to pull us out.
    We made it to cedar falls dragstrip to do some testing and get on track footage. The car sounded horrible on nitro. Roger was on hand along with a few guys from the orange crate fuel team. We determined the mag was bad. We called everyone we know in the area. No mag to be had. We loaded up and came home. During the drive back I called roo. He's located near indy. I asked if he knew the guys at mag tech? He said he did. His wife does to and had their cell number. she was with roo at the time. She sent the owner a text about the problems. I didn't want to drive 4hrs one way on a maybe they could look at it. The owner said to bring it down and it would be fixed asap. So I'm at their shop now getting fixed up. The coil in the points box went bad. On the machine it was miss firing. The mag checked out ok. The box is getting a upgraded coil and wiring. It's also being weather proofed. I feel like the reality TV show we are shooting has some real life drama to it. We have to make some hits this weekend. 20190504_090611.jpg 20190506_091724.jpg 20190506_092324.jpg 20190506_092218.jpg

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  26. squirrel

squirrel

That's a neat test setup...the scope is 40 years old or so?

27. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Well the good thing is that it was a CASE tractor and not one of those Green Machines! Hopefully everything will be sorted out before the event at George’s! Looking forward to it!

28. I agree. My grandfather; father; father in law and sister worked at j.i.case co.

29. Great news you got the mag fixed in notime, Roo for sure is a very knowledgeable and helpful bloke. Let us know how the first testing goes Brian, for me this thread is one of the Hamb all time favourites!

30. loudbang

loudbang

Awesome that you have some knowledgeable friends to help out.

enloe and racer-x like this.