Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help-Advice needed for overshrunk panel!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rarerodder, Mar 30, 2019.

1. So, I bought my first shrinking disc and have been using it with very good results. But, I just learned the hard way, that an over-shrunk spot without open access behind it can be a problem. I have enough space behind the panel to hold dolly, but not enough to hammer. Will hammering on-dolly from the front raise this area? What's the proper way to fix this?

2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Hammer on dolly should do the trick, as long as you have access.

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

How long is a piece of string? Without seeing panel it's damn hard. Can you get a body spoon in the cavity and attempt to put pressure on the low area and use a slapper to stretch and raise the metal?

4. alchemy

alchemy

Yes, in theory. Make sure you are holding the dolly inside firmly and using pressure toward the direction the panel needs to stretch. Even if you are hammering from the outside and the panels needs to stretch outward. Sneak up on it, it won't take much.

anothercarguy likes this.

5. This view looking down from top shows the sunk in area. Needs to come out about 1/4" or less. There was a small oil can here and I'm thinking that being at the end of that body crease may have contributed to it sinking in as it did. Again problem is no access to swing a hammer behind it, only room to get a dolly in. Going to see what further advice you guys have before I start working on it. This is the hard part of being self taught. 20190331_104702.jpg

6. alchemy

alchemy

If you need to bump it out you can probably drill a hole in the inner panel to stick a rod through.

7. 1ton

1ton

stud welder?

Rich S. and loudbang like this.
  8. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

That is a fairly large area to fix with access mainly from the front.
    I would cut a section out of the inner reinforcement to allow hammer swing or a pushing tool.
    It's easy to weld the piece back in.
    Make it easy on yourself.

9. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Stud welder might do it if you can borrow one, if the operator comes with it even better.

10. verde742

verde742

I would "wave " a torch near it, and "watch" maybe do a little push with a stick of wood..