Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 700R4 / 4L60E separator plate question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PunkAssGearhead88, Mar 18, 2019.

1. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I'm in the middle of installing a Trans - Go HD2 shift kit in a '95 4L60E trans. I was unpleasantly surprised when I discovered a couple of the check balls were stuck to the separator plate.

So I ordered a new "improved" zinc plated 1995 specific Trans-Go separator plate (P/N 46 - 95). Just got the new one earlier this evening and when comparing the new separator plate to my old one, I noticed the new one has a hole in it (look at arrows in pictures) where the old one did not. If it was the other way around, then no big deal, I would just drill a new hole to the correct size.

Obviously can't do that in this case. Anyone know what that check ball hole is there for in a 1995 or is it supposed to be solid like my old one? All the diagrams I've found online have the hole in them yet my old one doesn't? The transmission shifted ok before just to be clear.. IMG_20190318_193226072.jpg

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

That is where #2 check ball seats. It's for 3rd gear accumulator. Some models do not use a checkball.
    Best thing is to contact Trans go for your application.

3. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Thanks for your response, meant to post sooner. I did contact TransGo and spoke to Larry, and unfortunately all it did was frustrate me because he wasn't listening to my issue, he just kept telling me I had the wrong separator plate. :rolleyes:

Long story short, I find out that someone in the past had used what's called an "aluminum slug" which would come with some older different brand shift kits that the installer would hammer and file into a hole on the separator plate to block a passage. So, I ended up plugging the same hole in my new one and been driving the car the past couple days with the new shift kit and the trans has been shifting better than ever.

Learn something new everyday.

'49 Ford Coupe likes this.