Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Car Your Mom Could Not Ride In On A Date

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trulyvintage, Mar 29, 2019.

1. 1950 Nash Ambassador Airflyte

The Make Out Car Of Choice

A3C4A6D5-90EB-4259-8396-0232B57F5337.jpeg

HEMI32, Stogy, Deuces and 7 others like this.
  2. The Make Out Machine ....

17179EBE-69D2-46CE-B1A6-5A51030C23BB.jpeg

7210F5BD-ECBE-4169-9C88-FB81D93AC619.jpeg

Jim

3. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

There was a 47 Nash at the shop I hung out at when I was a kid in the early 70s , It was two tone green original paint and mint original mohair seats..They also folded down into a bed. Old Harry who owned the shop said it was a VERY useful car in it's day:rolleyes:

4. Makes you wonder how many people were conceived in a 47 Nash!

5. A 50 Nash was getting old by my heyday. I wonder if my dad ever figured out why I bought a new Pinto wagon when I was 20? I installed an extra piece of foam under the carpet on the seat back and rear floor area and kept a blanket in the spare tire well. If you left the spare at home, there was room in the well (minus the blanket) for a case of shorty Pabst, a couple quarts of wine and enough ice to keep it cold all evening! Good Times!

6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Their post war slogan, Get a Nash and Get Some Snatch, proved popular with returning GIs.

7. When I met my Wife, I was driving a Ford Van. I asked her if her Mom ever told her not to date a guy driving a van? With a straight face, she said no, why?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. BLAKE

BLAKE

... or any station wagon, van, or pickup.

9. wicarnut

wicarnut

When traveling with my parents as a kid early 50's going racing, Mom packed a picnic type lunch and we slept in the car at (waysides or truck stops ?) sometimes. I remember many cars doing this with lots of truckers, my Mom was happier when we stopped at farms, the earliest bed and breakfast I believe, how they knew which farms I do not know, (maybe a sign at roadside, remember no Interstates back then) Dad had a couple mid 50's nash's complete with the continental kits and 2 carb 6 cylinder engines. When I read the HAMB every AM drinking my coffee it amazes me how many good memories from my youth pop in and I share, THANK YOU HAMB'RS !

ffr1222k, Deuces, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Not a bad style body, but those damn ugly wheelwells screw up everything!

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  11. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Like I have said in another thread, I learned how to drive in my dad's '52 Nash Rambler station wagon... maroon with the wood trim. The interior didn't matter because I couldn't get a girl to get in that butt ugly thing.

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]
    upload_2019-3-30_22-38-59.png upload_2019-3-31_9-30-38.png
    A 53 ad was posted however a 50 is a different car :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here's a NOS NASH air mattress

upload_2019-3-31_9-8-28.png

upload_2019-3-31_9-10-9.png upload_2019-3-31_10-18-22.png
    Nash even offered a screen window option that snapped into place so you could feel the breeze without doing battle with the mosquitoes.

[​IMG]

What about this rare OEM optional theatre back seat! Love the reclining front seat as well;)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    classiccarjack, HEMI32, BigO and 12 others like this.
  13. Jay71

Jay71

Damn I had no idea. I’ll never look down on a Nash again.

kiwijeff, Deuces, wicarnut and 3 others like this.
  14. wvenfield

wvenfield

Pshaw, when you are young you can do it in a M.G.

15. Some days I regret not building my 53 Nash....but I wanted to shorten mine into the worlds biggest metropolitan ! 53nashcoupechopped.jpg 53nashrear.jpg

BigO, chriseakin, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  16. my '61 rambler American seats would lay out flat also. not as big as the Nash tho.

kiwijeff, Stogy, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  17. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I love this car. It was the first car I ever drove. At 4 years old. 1954. My Grandpa was visiting. Everybody inside visiting except me. Driveway is a little downhill to the road and the ditch across the road. Decided to drive Grandpa's car. Somehow I got that thing out of gear and away we went...backwards, down the hill and into the ditch across the road. I remember it pretty clearly even at 4 years old. Probably because of the spankin' I got... from Mom. Grandpa's was a darker grayish blue as I remember. Hadn't thought about that for a long time. Thanks.

18. That is a great story.

Jim

loudbang likes this.
  19. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-3-30_18-24-26.png upload_2019-3-30_18-24-40.png
    Hello,

When driving up to a girl’s house to meet the dad before a date, one has to pick and choose the moment. If I were to approach my date’s house in that 1953 Nash, any magazine reading dad would have seen the ad and nixed the date on the spot. The 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery looked mild on the outside, but knowing the dad and the tendencies, I stuck to the shiny, classy sounding, 1958 Impala. There was plenty to do in the spacious Impala on any date. (double dates, etc.)
    upload_2019-3-30_18-25-11.png
    Because I was known as a surfer, hot rod, drag race, and varsity athlete, I earned some breaks. But, the 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery was officially classified as a surf oriented vehicle, that in itself gave the parents, bad vibes and usually did not go over too well. Some dads that I knew, laughed when I pulled up in the 1940 sedan delivery ready to take their daughter out. They must have been real old time hot rod guys earlier in life…
    upload_2019-3-30_18-25-48.png
    Jnaki
    So, whether it is your mom, a date, or cars in general, (sedan delivery/Nash bed cars, vans of any kind) did hit the wrong buttons in the "older" folks back then. The advantage of the sedan delivery has over any other vehicle, including station wagons is that it is private in the back area. If you have a drop curtain behind the seats and a small curtain over the rear door window, it is absolutely private, for sure.

In 1960-62, we drove the 1940 sedan delivery a 100+ miles to South Orange County to surf the pristine waves, many times. But, arriving in the middle of the night with parking being scarce, we had to be super quiet and find a dark empty road to sleep until sunrise. Several times, friends in station wagons and 4 door sedans were also in the dark neighborhood, waiting their turn to make the walk/paddle into the secret beach.

But, as neighborhoods go, no one wants “surfers” or anyone parked in the street in front of their houses. So, the Highway Patrol was usually called in to roust the vagrant surfers and make them move to the state park up the highway. The advantage of the sedan delivery came to light many times as no one could see inside, even with flashlights. Our friends in the station wagons (with curtains)/sedans did not offer 100% privacy. They were rousted and given a warning to move and not come back to the area.

Despite the banging on the door, the roving flashlight beams, we had a good night’s sleep until 4 am for the walk/paddle to the beach. The CHP gave up on us and made the others leave. The rewards were those pristine waves with no one on them. Our friends were miles away, walking along the long, sandy beach to the same place.

Ron Funkhouser, Stogy and wicarnut like this.
  20. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

So sleepin in a upside down bathtub may be a little better than sleepin in a regular one?.....maybe???:D

BigO, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  21. LOL my first real date with Mrs Beaner I rolled up on my old Norton. I had owned a '55 Ranch Wagon until that afternoon. Had to sell the Ranch Wagon to pay the rent (and etc). Hr dad walked out took a good long look at the bike and said, "Well at least you aren't driving that damned wagon." Guess he didn't notice the sleeping bag tied to the handlebars. :D

I owned a '54 Chebby wagon for a while when I was young that you could lay the back seat down and scoot the front seat forward and lay it down to make it into one long narrow bedroom. Loved that wagon. Don't think I ever got laid in it but it was handy for a good day or two of fishin.

classiccarjack, loudbang and jnaki like this.
  22. Latigo

Latigo

Only a twin bed? My old Chevy pickup had an 8 foot bed. Like the country song goes, “that never had to be made.”

loudbang likes this.
  23. jazz1

jazz1

I had '63 Rambler Classic and the front seats laid flat in it, not sure when AMC quit that feature in the cars.

loudbang likes this.
  24. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

I had a 1954 Ford wagon and parents would not let me go out on dates, all 4 mine and hers. I got a 1961 Rambler American2 dr, the one that looked like a box with a smaller box on top. Parents had problem with that car for teenagers.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never had a car that a gal's parents wouldn't let her ride in. Some didn't like my 51 Merc because it was pretty loud but one figured out that we weren't able to sneak in the driveway with it and sit out in the car after we got there. That house had a damned bright porch light.
    We used to laugh at a classmate because he drove his folks hand me down 57 Chevy wagon Years later one of his best friends told me that the guy and his girlfriend future and wife until we lost him had used it for quite the mobile love shack back then. There are advantages to having a rather plain car at times.

loudbang likes this.
  26. 6sally6

6sally6

Hard...to believe me and a date could get in the back seat of a Falcon Sprint and ...F
    unction!!:cool:
    6sally6

loudbang likes this.
  27. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

JC Whitney sold a kit for my 65 bug that made it so the seat backs would fold down flat.

loudbang likes this.
  28. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My dad bought a new 49 Nash and a new 50 Nash, traded a 40 Ford two door sedan for the 49. I was pretty small, just starting school, it was just a car to get us to church and town:) A friend didn't have a car and his dad had a 56 Nash, man it was not a chick magnet at all, we kidded him about the seats but if you don't have a date what difference does a fold down seat make. After high school he bought a 55 Merc hardtop, I still like 55 Mercs!