Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rochester 2bbl’s on man a fre gas stains

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Grm5959, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Grm5959

Grm5959

02A96418-8D00-4D2A-BB7B-4925A7D5B89C.jpeg 50B11E41-EF1F-483A-B839-B71BC4D9A1AB.jpeg Well, not really stains but signs of gas in weird spots on my 4 2bbl Rochester’s on my man a fre intake. Not like a drip as the gas stains are in different areas. Any thoughts?

2. 6sally6

6sally6

Uh huh!!........I see'em too!
    6sally6

3. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Looks like they were painted silver, the paint is stained and a little carb cleaner will remove the paint!
    Those little caps where most of the stain is are breathers and some gas will evaporate and leave that type of stain.
    That's why you shouldn't paint a carburetor!
    KK

loudbang likes this.
  4. dudley32

dudley32

the way you have your fuel lines coming in over your carbs could be over loading the needle and seat...

loudbang and lumpy 63 like this.

5. Grm5959

Grm5959

When I bought them they were already painted. The gas stains will wipe off but it’s strange how some spots are down low and there is no dripping coming from above. Could fuel bowl levels be too high? If it was coming from vent it seems strange that some spots are down low on the carbs.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Joe H

Joe H

Fuel splashing around and gasket seep.

F&J and loudbang like this.
  7. patzfab

patzfab
    from Canada

I’d like to know how it runs? I have one with Strombergs. Almost ready to install.

loudbang likes this.
  8. timbow33

timbow33

Hi I’m Tim Bowman, worked for man a fre in the sixties, your problem is the float levels are too high, I see a couple other things too. Easy to fix, contact me at [email protected].

loudbang likes this.
  9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Can we fix it hear? :)

loudbang and Hombre like this.
  10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

You could simply remove all carbs carbs and intake to soda blast everything. The castings would look fresh and new, however that would mean rebuilding them and then you'd loose that old world charm etc.

loudbang likes this.
  11. timbow33

timbow33

Sure! Well, of course you’ll have to remove each carb top. Hold the top upside down. Look at the float position. A stock Rochester setting is near level. Just bend the float (needle nose pliers on the tab next to the seat are best) up carefully til it is above level a bit. This lowers the float level. Man a fre’s don’t need a high float level. . Now, what kind of fuel pump are you running? Electric backup? Have you considered using an original stock fuel block? I notice the mounts are unused on your plate.
    Last, what is your timing set up?