Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pertronix to the rescue 1966 Thunderbird 390

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jakespeed63, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Ok, for the 2nd time in a month, swapping in a complete Pertronix ignition system fixed a headache misfire issue.
    1966 Thunder-Chicken 390 Auto...been chasing a drive ability and misfire problem.
    Long story short...engine would stall in gear and ignition system break up under acceleration. Granted #3 cylinder only has 65psi and timing chain 12 degrees of slop, but I was bound and determined to leave no stone unturned. There are still a few months of nice cruising weather in Florida, for a convertible, so now is not the time for an engine rebuild.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

firstinsteele likes this.
  2. So today I swapped in a Pertronix ignition module, ignition wire set and coil. All priced very reasonable
    ($275 for all 3, with shipping)
    The Ford kit was easier than my ‘64 Oldsmobile because you do not have to remove the distributor. You simply remove the points and rotor install the new magnetic pick up over the points cam and set the gap to .030”. They even include a feeler gauge in the kit. Couldn’t be easier.
    Because of the timing chain wear, I set my base timing at 16°. This gave me a total advance of 30° at about 3000 RPM.
    Took the old girl on a test drive and I was thoroughly impressed at the performance. No more stalling in gear, would idle smoothly at the correct curb idle setting and no more ignition break up under acceleration.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and banjeaux bob like this.
  3. loudbang likes this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

congrats that it worked for you

loudbang likes this.