Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Ford 5.0 302 intake swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dave 62 pb, Mar 29, 2019.

1. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

Possibly got chance of a late 5.0 (1989) will an earlier 302 intake fit ? and what 4bbl carb would best suit
    Not looking for performance as such just a reliable conversion to replace the 223 i6

2. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Yes it will. Keep in mind you will likely now have a roller cam that requires a steel distributor gear instead of the early cast iron. See if Autozone still offers the new distributors for a 1985 Mustang 5.0 (only year that was carbureted and roller).

3. Yes, the early intake will fit on stock heads. Carb? You might want to look at the Summit 500 CFM Autolite knockoff... $300.

If it's roller cam motor and you retain the cam, make sure your distributor has the correct steel gear on it. The steel cam will eat the cast-iron early gear in short order...

4. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Yep, 289/302 intakes are all interchangeable.
    I’ve had a Torker 289, a Holley street Dominator and a stock ‘84 4bbl intake on the ‘88 302 HO in one of my cars.

Make sure you know if it is an HO or non HO, the distributor gear is different and will shred and destroy your engine if you use the wrong one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loudbang and Deuces like this.

5. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

And HO uses the 351 firing order.

6. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

Correct me if wrong....1985 GT Mustang had roller cam in the 5 speed cars only. Automatic cars got non rollers,

7. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

They all had roller cam but the automatic cars had fuel injection and the stick cars had carb so the distributor is different

8. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

May have to re-curve it, but the manual dist works well as is on autos.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

For $67.99 new you really can't go wrong. I run one in my '31 and it works well.

• Part Number: BDLG-FD30
    • Warranty: Limited Lifetime
    • Application: With manual transmission
    • Notes: New - with cap/rotor
      With steel gear.

10. sunbeam

sunbeam

All 221- 302 Fords intake manifords with the exception of the boss 302 interchange. Unlike SBC who used 3 different bolt patterns not counting the generation II engines. Sorry I couldn't let the every thing swaps on a Chevy go.

deathrowdave, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  11. A couple of other things to note...

Be aware of the early/late balance difference if you need a flex plate/flywheel. This will depend on trans choice. Your '89 motor will be 50oz imbalance.

The EFI motors have no provision for a mechanical fuel pump. It can be added by swapping to an earlier timing cover/waterpump combo, but you'll need to change to V-belts. Best bet is to get the entire front dress off the donor motor so all components match. Look for '70-84 parts for this. If you're swapping to a front-sump oil pan, you'll need the early timing cover in order to have a oil level dipstick.

If you're planning on a manual trans with mechanical clutch linkage, the late blocks lack the cast-in inner pivot boss for the linkage. An aftermarket bracket is available for this.

loudbang likes this.
  12. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

Thanks, the engine is out of a 89 mustang auto, its already missing some of the intake and wiring /ecu
    I think the EFI looks crap anyway so carb is the way to go, I will be using the AOD

loudbang and JeffB2 like this.
  13. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

This may apply to you,read the notes and check the measurement shown. https://www.skipwhiteperformance.co...lete-distributor-long-shaft-6502-5-red_89697/ Continue on to read the information regarding the drive gear.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  14. Deuces

Deuces

Cool thing to do.... I've added a Holley 600 w/vacuum secondaries on a performer intake.... I also fine tuned the carb with close limit Jets for great mileage and performance.... ;)

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

My choice as well. I'm running an early Edelbrock 289 performer. I bought a steel gear off of eBay and put it on a 72 points distributor.

ALL roller cam engines use the 351W firing order. I think all engines after 1985 went to the 351W firing order, but don't hold me to that.

Again, Steve is right on the money. There are a few engines that had a combo of V belt and serpentine belt, I had one out of an 85 T bird. IIRC, the water pump and alternator were serpentine wide belt, AC and PS were V belt on that engine. Serpentine belt water pumps are reverse rotation unless the pulley is ribbed. Mine had the standard rotation serpentine so it was easy to change to V belts, just finding pulleys that fit was the problem. I ended up using a 200I6 water pump pulley shimmed out to align with the crank and alternator. I have heard the timing covers are different for standard and reverse rotation pumps, but can't verify it.

loudbang likes this.
  16. My understanding is the serpentine pumps all use the same timing cover, just the pump is different for rotation. But none of these has provision for a mechanical fuel pump, so if you want that you need the earlier style cover/pump. Be aware there was a 'transition period' in the early '80s when Ford started adopting EFI where you'll find some early-style OEM covers with extra bosses on them for sensors and possibly lacking the fuel pump boss. The early style '66-80 timing cover that lacks the 'extras' is now available new in the aftermarket from several sources.

There's also the very early style ('62-65) timing cover/pump that is/was popular as it was the only one available with a factory aluminum water pump until the serpentine/aftermarket pumps came out, but that uses a yet different again cover that isn't available any more, although the pump is. The racers liked these as they offered a weight savings over the iron pumps that replaced them. Some guys also like these as the '62-63 versions used a timing-cover oil fill, handy to have if using adapted Y-block or early FE valve covers, with the PVC located in the intake manifold. But Ford discovered that this set-up promoted both oil consumption and condensation/sludge build-up inside the motor, so the oil fill/PVC were moved to the valve covers in '64 were they remained to the end of production of the SBF. These type water pumps are marginal for anything larger than a 289, which is one reason they disappeared. The other reason is they used smaller water pump bearings and wouldn't take a heavy accessory load. And once aftermarket aluminum pumps became available in the later design, their weight advantage was gone.

The last issue is Ford changed the front damper/crank pulley in '70 from the prior 3-bolt design to the '70-up 4-bolt, so trying the use the pre-'70 front dress on a later motor meant you needed to come up with a crank pulley that would match up. Not impossible, but you couldn't just use random parts. Most aftermarket performance dampers feature both bolt patterns, and Ford continued to make 3-bolt dampers for the various small-blocks but these were limited to marine use.

loudbang likes this.
  17. tjm73

tjm73

CFI (central fuel injection in Ford parlance) cars were not roller cam and had the non-HO/351W firing order. with '86 came the SEFI and roller cams for all.

The EFI distributor gear is different than the steel gear needed for a non-EFI distributor. There are two shaft diameters for the 302 distributor. I have a pic that shows the difference and tells which gear to use for which distributor. I'll see if I can find it and post it up.

All Mustang's in '89 had roller cams. Ford's OEM roller had a split duration. It was spec'd at 276/266 with 0445" lift with 1.6 rockers. LSA was wide at 115.5 degrees. Durations at 0.050" were around 212/210. But they are known to be variable from 208 to 216 on intake and exhaust.

loudbang likes this.
  18. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Some of the EFI timing covers had the fuel pump boss cast in but it wasn't open so you have to remove material to use then you need a cam ecentric to add to the end of the cam.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  19. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Building mine with a Weiand Stealth intake, Holley 0-1848 (465cfm) carb and v-belt pulleys. Modified an early set of valve covers with a breather/fill tube and PCV line on the opposite side. Will be using an old Cal Custom finned aluminum oil pan, too. Put a C4 behind it with an aftermarket flex plate that has the 50oz imbalance and the C4 offset and torque converter bolt pattern.

I am using a '71 timing cover that Speedway re-pops, very nice piece. Also using a '69
    water pump so I can use a Chevy radiator. For pulleys I used Speedway's chrome pulleys for water pump and crank, crank is 3 bolt. To make that work I use a Pro Products 50oz balancer, they have 3 and 4 bolt patterns in them. Might have to use a spacer behind the lower pulley or move the water pump hub back on the shaft. I chose to use a 1/4" spacer behind my lower pulley, just made that out of scraps I had lying around. Also lets you use the Speedway alternator mount setup with a homemade spacer behind the pivot point. Now I have single groove pulleys, one piece fuel pup eccentric, double row timing set (Comp Cams) and a right hand water pump that all looks a lot older than the '90 engine I started with. I also went with a bit more cam, E-303.
    SPark

check33.jpg clr7.jpg clr8.jpg clr9.jpg clr10.jpg vc8.jpg vc9.jpg vc10.jpg

BigChief, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  20. tjm73

tjm73

Here's the pic with the gear and shaft info. Took a bit to find it.

Attached Files:

• dist.jpg
      dist.jpg
      File size:
      82.7 KB
      Views:
    loudbang likes this.
  21. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

CFI is also known as throttle body, totally different than SEFI or port injection. CFI was used on TBirds and Crown Vics and maybe some others, all Mustangs as far as I know were 4bbl or 2bbl up to the introduction of SEFI.

Good call on the differing Distributor shaft sizes, I had forgotten that. Lots harder to find the smaller shaft steel gear than the larger electronic shaft one.

22. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Motorsports at one time carried a steel dist gear for this conversion . I am using one of them for years. You can bore the small gear add a busing drill and ream it to the correct size also . I always safety wire the pin holding the gear also .

23. Deuces

Deuces

My cover from an '88 5.0 had one of those... And I ground out the opening for the fuel pump lever... Worked like a charm... :cool::)

Hnstray and loudbang like this.
  24. finn

finn

No, the 85 Mustang 5.0 with automatic transmission had the cfi fuel system.

It was a one and done year feature.

loudbang likes this.
  25. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have Motorsports “ Cobra” design intake , annular discharge Holley 600 CFM carb, early timing cover and fuel pump as shown and a roller eccentric for the pump . Point distributer , X grind cam and springs , full roller rockers , Keith Black forged full float pistons , this really wakes up a compact size engine . And it’s all FORD POWER . A chain saw revs a bit slower than this engine !

loudbang likes this.
  26. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Here’s one of my 5.0HO’s out of my ot car.
    This is an ‘89 and does not have provision for a fuel pump in the timing cover.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It’s running a 600 Holley and runs great. The equal length headers and Holley intake are new this year so I’ll see how they work.
    Lots of header options for 302 engines

27. tjm73

tjm73

This is OT for this board, but CFI was Ford's name for TBI and it was used in a number of different Ford cars including 5.0 automatic Mustang GT's in 1985. It was garbage. And banished with the introduction of Sequential Electronic Fuel Injection (SEFI) in 1986. And yes SEFI is the same as port fuel injection.

To the topic of this thread. Toss that stuff and add pretty much any 289/302 intake you like. They all bolt up.