Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anyone installed an E brake they salvaged from a yard in their hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by testdepth, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Call them whatever you want, in Missouri, by state law, all vehicles are required to have an emergency brake. And when they don’t work, I will fail you on State Safety Inspection.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

47chevycoupe likes this.
  2. I can't ever remember buying a new one.

nunattax likes this.
  3. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Like DDDenny, I used a C3 Corvette that I had in my stash for probably 20 years. I tend to use OEM stuff when I can. I appreciate the aftermarket, but I trust parts from decades ago more than the current off shore garbage.

olscrounger likes this.
  4. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

1993-2002 camaro uses a simple hand lever style, should be easy to find since not too old and hundreds of thousands made. Make a boot for it and good to go.

5. I used a late model Hyundai cables with a Honda handle-just basic pick-a-part stuff that works.

6. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Are there any that don't come from salvage yards?:D

sidevalve8ba and 500caddy like this.
  7. 500caddy

500caddy

My vehicles are all built from junkyard parts, Buying an new emergency brake lever would be very low on my list of things to spend money on. I’m old I call it an emergency brake

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

testdepth and olscrounger like this.
  8. testdepth

testdepth

9. Fitty Toomuch

Fitty Toomuch
    from WVa

I managed to get my original handle to work with some creative thought, 52 to a 72 rear, It works, I`m happy.

10. I've often combed through the foreign car yards for e-brake handles that mount to the floor between bucket seats...lots of useable options...helpful hint...bring your metric tools.

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I used the original in my 37 Chevy p/u,made a bracket to mount it to the T-5 and works well.

Attached Files:

greasemonkey54 likes this.
  12. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

In my '49 Chevy pickup, I used a foot operated E brake from some AMC car that worked out well. I think I got the hanging gas pedal from the same car. Sorry, no pictures.

Gary

testdepth likes this.
  13. indyjps

indyjps

Take a look at chevy trailbl@zers. Parking brake handle is mounted beside the console and not foot operated. Plenty in salvage yards, not sure how the floor mounting looks though.

14. nickleone

nickleone

15. butch27

butch27

Mine has an old Corvair that comes with a recessed metal pocket and I turned it 90 degrees to fit near the seat..

16. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

I built my 34 over 40 years back, used a floor mount e-brake from a Mustang II or Pinto. Works great. Had a 58 Willys wagon & used a lot of parts off a 70 ? Nova. Foot operated park brake hooked up easily & worked fine.

17. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I have a junkyard sourced parking brake handle, but have no idea what it came out of. Where it is mounted, it’s in the way. Thinking about switching to Lokars vertical brake handle that mounts to the transmission shifter bracket.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. One unit not mentioned is the '75-96 Jaguar XJS parking brake. Similar to the Pinto/Vega/aftermarket ones shown here, it has one feature not found on most; once set, the handle drops back down to the 'at rest' position, it doesn't stay 'up'. Handy if you want to mount it between the seat and the door, you don't have to climb over it to get out. Very narrow design too, doesn't take a lot of space.

Also works as an anti-theft device, as most people won't realize it's set. Has a built-in switch for a 'E-brake' light if desired.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    David Gersic likes this.
  19. David Chandler

David Chandler

My Focus has a similar design. There must be a ton of cars that used something similar out there.

testdepth likes this.
  20. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

002.JPG
    I got this one at an auction along with some other stuff. Works good. Anyone recognize it? The long release button was chrome.

21. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

My bucket didn't have a handle when I bought it so I pulled one from some foreign car...Subaru maybe? All pretty generic really.
    I've noticed lately that a lot of cars are starting to go to push button power park brake setups. Seems to be the course for the future. Might be time to grab a few of those park brake levers for future builds.

New cars are FAR too complicated. I like equipment that requires a positive action to get a positive result. Pushing on buttons and hoping isn't for me...

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  22. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

In the United States and around the world there are different phrases & combinations of words that mean the same thing,
    know what you mean HRP.a couple of years ago after a hot day at Bradenton drags FL.asked the girl at the bar for a cold sparkling water with ice.response was sorry sir we don't carry sparkling water ,will carbonated do?i settled for that.

23. X-cpe

X-cpe

Fiero and '95 Corvette (which probably includes all of that generation of Vette) do the same.

24. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

I use the under dash "parking brake" from mid 50's Studebaker trucks... simple, adjustable functional.

25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Those can't be lay'n around just anywhere!

26. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

ill be using the original upright model that came in the 38.nothing wrong with it.fitted a new spring and painted it.

27. While stationed in Germany in 68', I was half owner in a 57 VW with Snoopy painted on the door. The first time I drove the car I was headed down a steep mountain road and was closing in on a large freight hauler. I applied the brake and the pedal went to the floor. I was about 50 ft. behind the truck and grabbed the emergency brake handle and pulled hard. It was evidently unhooked somewhere under the car, hard right turn, jumped 6 ft. deep ditch, took out the last three fence posts, out into a cow pasture and back into the ditch. Gave it to the farmer and the tow truck operator. Your VW prompted that memory. I have a e-brake assy. from a 69 Volvo that is complete. I plan to use it in my 32 if I can make the handle more traditional looking.

testdepth likes this.
  28. CD2B2034-1987-48E9-BC12-F47D2A3B5934.jpeg
    Porsche 944
    AB75A18C-D165-4803-816C-D9DBABD79BE8.jpeg
    Jag xjs

Always thought a jag XJS parking brake would be nice to adapt to a bench seat car.
    It lifts up like a regular handle and after the brake is applied it drops down out of the way.
    You could have it between the door and seat and not interfere with entry and exit.
    Seem to remember the Porsche 944’s had a similar style park brake.

G-son likes this.
  29. Dirk35

Dirk35

The type of E Brake you pick really depends on the type of vehicle you have. I think in pickups, the firewall mounted under dash pedal makes more sense. In smaller cars like my 1934 Ford Sedan, a hand brake type of E-Brake, mounted on the floor pan makes more sense.

In my 1949 F1, I used the E Brake and modified it a 1991 Ford F100, (and I also used the upper pivot for the brake pedal from the same pickup, and made my own pedal out of 1/2" thick steel plate). On the brake pedal, I used 1/4" plate bent in a "U" shape and a plate at the end to make the carriage for the pivot. In the picture below, I took the Stock 1991 F100 brake pedal, and cut out the pivot tube, then used the 1/2" plate to make the entire pedal, machined a hole where the pivot tube goes, and welded it on both sides (instead of just butt-welding the new pedal to the old pedal). 1949 Ford PU E-Brake 1.JPG 1949 Ford PU E-Brake 2.JPG 1949 Ford PU E-Brake 3.JPG 1949 Ford PU Brake Pedals 1.JPG 1949 Ford PU Brake Pedals 2.JPG

The lightening holes in the E Brake Pedal actually added weight as I plated over the other side of the stamped E-Brake Pedal and added the tubing to look like holes, so they are just for looks to make the E Brake Pedal match the looks of the other pedals. The lightening holes in the Brake Pedal are there to lighten it and to match the gas pedal. They are powder coated silver and look pretty good in my opinion (but I kind of wish I had them chromed to all three match).

I don't have a picture of the E-Brake pedal in the pickup, but it mounts right next to the kick panel and just barely clears that speaker grill.

30. 5window

5window

My handle's from some Pontiac. Put in place, never used. Sure wouldn't like to think of it as an Emergency brake.