Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1941 Merc custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Black Clover Custom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

We know the 216 is toast. I wont trust the 235 he got unless the machine shop says its good... So i found a running 261 that is on a test stand. Looking tmrw. Only issue is it falls flat when you give it gas. May need the carb rebuilt. We will see. Otherwise good oil pressure and sounds great with no ticking... 500 bucks. Time to see if i can get an adapter for it. Research time. He wants to be able to get it on the highway at least doing 55. So maybe some gears out back to help. Dual master for safety. Stovebolt website had some good info on what you need to do to convert it.
    My 41 is still going strong but a bit slower now. Wife wants divorce. Lots to juggle.

2. Geez BBC.. good news - then bad. Hang in there!
    That COE is cool, but '41 Mercs is cooler!! ;)

Dave

Black Clover Custom likes this.
  3. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

No divorce. Alot of welding happening on my car in between the 46 coe.

brEad and slim38 like this.
  4. :)
    Picture update please.. Or is the welding incidental stuff? Progress is progress.. ;)

Dave

5. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Yeah lots of little pieces here and there. Will get a pic of the doesnt look like progress progress...Ha.

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  6. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Dropped body back on the chassis but i had to cut out the rear crossmember section of the f;loor. Didnt realize that a stock floor wont work with a dropped rear, duh! Haha. Easy cut. Body fits on the chassis really nice and all mounting holes are dead on. Lots of measuring seems to work before lots of cutting and welding.
    Time to make that hole disappear in the trunk. Shaping time. 002.JPG 003.JPG

7. Looking good. Progress is always welcomed by all

Ranchero59 likes this.
  8. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Been awhile.
    Wife moved out. All else here stayed the same. Kids stayed.
    So Sunday is going to be the 41 Merc day. Itching to work on it more.
    Even got this idea to put this 1950 8ba in it. Go back to a flathead.
    Bought this ye 8ba.jpg 8ba1.jpg 8ba2.jpg sterday for 500 and it runs every year he said. From a f5 truck. Came with the pto trans and i will sell that. Carb moves freely and the oil is clean. Turns and can feel compression. Will check to see what points look like. He did say last year it started right up but smokes.

Okie Pete and Uribe like this.
  9. Good find and price, hope no big problems. Smoke may clear, after warm

10. Lines

Lines
    from Germany

Graet job. Fascinated of youre work and progress.

11. AChopped1950ford

AChopped1950ford

Your truck is so cool !!!

Torchie and Black Clover Custom like this.
  12. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Fired up the 8ba today and it runs great! No smoke! Idles good but carb needs a rebuild. No leaks from fuel pump. I took off the speed governor and it had a vacuum leak at the carb so i jb welded the broken fitting on. Also found that the distributor ground wire was dirty and rusty at the dizzy so after i cleaned that the spark was great. New plugs. Fired right up and ran clean and strong. Need a new carburetor or a rebuild. Think i got really lucky on this one. Will post a video when i get the carb done.

Torchie and AChopped1950ford like this.
  13. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Got the run stand finished. Just need guages so i can see the oil pressure and temp but this thing idles all day long. Got a ford script carb from a member here and it runs better. If i get some finned heads and a dual carb intake i will put it in the 41 merc and sell the 327. It runs that good. Stoked. IMG_1765.JPG

14. Glad that fatty runs well. Make sure you get the cooling system in good working order. You got one fine ride there.

Black Clover Custom and Torchie like this.
  15. Boden

Boden

U should put a merc crank in it. I know a guy who will sell one for 250 in Pennsylvania. No rust. But he says there are no guaranties that it is not cracked or needs to be cut.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Dangit... My divorce is forcing the sale of my car. Just can't keep it. Will be listing it here. $8000 OBO. Sucks.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. Torchie

Torchie

I'm sorry to hear this.
    I have been watching this build since the start.
    Good luck to you in the future.
    Torchie

18. BCC sorry to hear about your losses.
    someone is going to get one he'll of a ride. Good luck in your future endevores!!

BigO likes this.
  19. I can’t say it any better. Best of luck going forward.

BigO and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Not tryin to cry about this at all. But i am doing everything i can to keep my car. Just know i may not be able to in the end. Thanks guys for your thoughts.

ferus88, BigO and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. Uribe

Uribe

So theres still a possibiliy youll keep your car? Im rooting for you, I have enjoyed reading your thread, hope it all works out.