Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 52 331 extended bell housing lifters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52sara, Mar 29, 2019.

1. 52sara

52sara

Hey all, I'm looking to get some info on lifters, I ordered stock 1/4 ball end replacement liftera from hot hemi heads and the part I received is enginetech L812-4 which I think is the early mopar big Block lifters. They look nothing like the factor lifters and the oil feed is in a completely different spot. I called and they said that's what's listed for stock replacement, I need new lifters due to a few have collapsed and can't seem to find replacements. Any help is appreciated, thanks[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  2. 52sara

52sara

Anyone? This is moving to the bottom pretty fast. Couldn't find anything about my situation on any forum they all said that they used these lifters but don't see how

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. daliant

daliant

Have you tried cleaning the originals? You might get lucky and they are gunked up with sludge, soaking them in kerosene and working the plunger in and out while submerged was the old time fix for sticky lifters.
    Putting new lifters on a a used cam never seems to work out well, hopefully you can clean the originals and put them back in their respective bore.

anthony myrick likes this.
  4. 52sara

52sara

I think that ship has sailed, kinda messed up the lifter bodies getting them out of the lifter bores expecting to get the correct replacements, even called and they assured me they were the factory replacements. So I have to find something else out. Thanks for the reply

5. A new set of pushrods to go with the lifters should get you going. I'm not sure how long Chrysler used that style of lifter, but my 54' 331 had lifters like the replacements you have.

Hnstray likes this.
  6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The original lifters are a unique design that can be taken apart cleaned and reassembled. I have done this on a 52 hemi with gummed up lifters. You pull out the insert, take it apart, clean it and put it back together. DO NOT mix up the parts. Do one insert at a time. They are made to such close tolerances they will not go together dry, they must be assembled in a bath of kerosene or varsol. They are fitted at the factory with a tolerance of 1/ 10,000th of an inch. It was a long time ago but I recall soaking them overnight in lacquer thinner to dissolve the sludge and cleaning them with spray carburetor cleaner and a small paint brush, no rags because I didn't want to risk getting lint in them. Certainly no metal tools, scrapers or wire brush. Maybe you could use a copper gun brush.

If you want to use new lifters you will have to get longer pushrods to go with them. So far as I know the newer design lifters will work with your cam but you might want to check this with the manufacturer or supplier.

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I might add, the original 2 piece design was replaced by the modern type. About 1954 as Slayer says. The old kind have not been made since the Eisenhower administration.

If you scratched the old ones pulling them out you can smooth the burrs with a fine whetstone and they will be ok if they are no worse than the one shown. If you buggered up the end that rides against the cam you are screwed.

Each lifter must go back on the cam lobe it came off of, if you mixed them up you are also screwed.

Probably best to buy new pushrods.

Not to rub it in but this is why the factory service manuals are so valuable. All the info is in there, it could have saved you some money and grief.

8. 52sara

52sara

Would anyone have links to 1/4 pushrods? I've been trying to find some or I guess I might have to get them custom made. And as for the picture those lifters will work even with the difference of the oil feed hole? Thanks

9. 52sara

52sara

Once again as I thought I was getting factory replacements I pulled the lifters out of the bodies and have no idea which went where so I believe I'm screwed with trying to reuse them

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Why not tell hot hemi heads about it, they probably have the pushrods in stock. They should be the same as stock pushrods for the 54 - 56 engines. I would ask if the lifters will work in the older engine while I was at it.

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The bodies have to go back on the cam they cam off of. The inserts can be swapped around. But parts can't be swapped between inserts. When I did mine I cleaned the inserts out of a spare engine then dropped them in the lifter bodies. They worked fine, never a problem.

12. 52sara

52sara

I was told that they don't have 1/4 end pushrods, when I called them they said those lifters show up as stock replacements. Kinda seems like I'm up the creek. Ray barton racing engines is in my area I'll call them up Monday and ask them they're opinion. I did email HHH the picture questioning what to do awaiting a reply. All I needed was a valve job and a few lifters. If it comes down to it I'll just pull the motor and drop it off at ray bartons and make a nasty motor

13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Also, lifters can, and used to be, resurfaced. Finding someone to do so might be like looking for Jimmy Hoffa though.

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

15. 52sara

52sara

Do they have Intake and exhaust? I know the two are different lengths?

16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

17. That is the engine I have in my Willys. I put those modern style short lifters in it in the 60s. Factory replacements were not available even back then. I got a set of late model longer push rods to go with the shorter lifters and it works fine. 331 and 354 engines have the same dimensions except for cylinder bore so 354 valve train stuff works fine.

18. 52sara

52sara

That was the exact kind of answer I was looking for! Thank you all for the help, it's much appreciated! Now just to actually find 354 pudhrods

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  19. Hot heads and other engine suppliers should have them. I think I got mine from JC Whitney back in the day.

20. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Check out Kanter Brothers for engine parts as well.

21. 52sara

52sara

Was told by hot heads they don't have stock pushrods when I originally called. Checked kanter I completely forgot about them, have to specify the length which from research seems to be 9.625 and 11.125. I believe what I'm going to do is order adjustable 5/16 pushrods from Smith brothers so I don't have to drill the heads and send these lifters back and get a set of ht812

22. 52sara

52sara

If I were to get 5/16 adjustable pushrods does anyone know what to do about the 1/4 cups on the rocker arms?

23. 52sara

52sara

If anyone is following by chance, hot hemi heads has adjustable 1/4 pushrods p/n 21083 that should be the easiest solution

24. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Contact Manton Push Rods from Lake Elsinore CA... I buy all my pushrods there. Great staff, they are very helpful on guiding you on what to buy (measurements and etc.).

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Moonlight machine used to do them for me. 1(858)274-5119. They can do the Chrysler .904 lifter. In fact, they did the slant six lifters for me in my hot rod valiant. No issues after 20 years...

I hope that they are still available.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app