Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration An Auction for the Ages: Another Look

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Mar 29, 2019.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

An Auction for the Ages: Another Look

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Tim likes this.
  2. catdad49

catdad49

Right back to my youth again! Thanks to you, I get to relive my younger years (at least in my mind). BDR was all over the mags of the day, whether in his Monster shirt ads or his interviews (think Barris vs. Roth). Dutch wasn't as visible, but he made an impression none the less. Most of us weren't able to purchase items that were listed in this auction, but that doesn't mean we couldn't wish it so. I still have my 1963 BDR Monster shirt catalog that I sent away for (to that far away place called California) and I still get a thrill looking at all the out-a-sight creations. Best Wishes on the move, Carp.

3. Damn. Not just the Journal ..... but hell .... you moving too Joey ??? Probably get some sweet acreage in Virginia compared to the ridiculous pricing in San Francisco. Holy sh#t. What a b#tch. I hate moving. :mad:

4. sololobo

sololobo

Best wishes to R. J. crews big move and new digs. My ultimate Roth/Von Dutch experience was at the 61 Winter Nationals where I was able to get a handshake from both and a sweatshirt airbrushed, later stolen by an evil GF.

5. I joined the HAMB the day after your 8th birthday.

:rolleyes:

I need a life.

6. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Very cool pictures of Hot Rod History! When fuel and pencils had lead! Joe

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great stuff, I remember those adds for Roth's shirts in the magazines and aso remember never being able to afford one as a broke kid in my early teens. Maybe if I had picked strawberries faster I could have sent off a money order for one back then.

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I was at the auction... man stuff went high. One of the pieces I bought was this paste up for an early magazine ad. good luck on the move....[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Wow, I remember that auction. Wanted to go up (but didn't) just to see the stuff once before it all went in different directions.
    Gotta figure prices would go nuts when the items were being advertised in a Sotheby's style book.
    I wished and wondered then and now, why the Peterson Museum didn't step up big time and buy the collection outright so it could be rotated out to the museum floor during Rod & Custom and 1960's era displays for all to enjoy through the ages. It was a once in a lifetime opp to keep an important part of our history together. IMHO, the Peterson was a really good fit to takeover caretaking duties from a closing Car museum just across town! It must have killed some of the Peterson docents of the fact their museum was hosting rather than acquiring the collection! Bittersweet. Probably wasn't in the cards because of the usual case that the collection was worth more parted out than as a whole. I'm a collector at heart and it always bums me out to see a great collection or museum (of anything) get separated, but that's reality and no hate toward Mark (thanks for sharing!) or anyone else fortunate enough to acquire a chunk of Hot Rod Americana.

10. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I handled some original Rat Fink artwork when my boss and I did some reprints for Reno and Dennis Roth. It was like holding history, and I now need to go back and see if any pieces fell into my art pile.
    I think that the true last of the Rat Fink era is Von Franco,,,
    Franco, where are you when the Hot Rod World needs you?? ( I know where he is, but today is April First)
    Will pinstriping and Low Brow Art every reach the peak of the Brucker Sale again??

11. Stu Bludebaker

Stu Bludebaker
    from Omaha

Thanks for sharing! I'm digging various odds and ends. I like the one-eyed guys, but cyclopses are my favorite monster since I was a kid. OTOH, I had to get on the far side of 40 to loosen up and be immature enough to dig Finks. I'm am wondering about the Hughes sponsored steam V4 (Steampunk in real life?) and the other mechanical oddities on that two page spread.