Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Do You Have a Question for Legendary Customizer Dick Bertolucci?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Sauce, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Sauce

Sauce

Heading up to Sacramento this Saturday 3/30/19 to do a video interview with legendary customizer, painter and racer Dick Bertolucci. I have my own questions prepared but if anyone would like to contribute a topic or pose a question you think we need to touch base on.. now is the time to speak up. I look forward to reading your responses, thank you.

Sauce

Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 4.45.56 PM.png

2. VonWegener

VonWegener

Please talk about the corvette he customized. It is my favorite vette of all time. So elegant and yet so custom.

3. BJR

BJR

I don't have a question, but I think it's great you are taking the time to do this before he is gone. We are loosing the pioneers of hot rodding and customizing every day. They have a wealth of information we should be documenting.

4. So true BJR.

BJR likes this.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A true 6 cylinder guy....

6inarow, 302GMC and tractorguy like this.
  6. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

I agree with the above. It's about time that someone does an interview with a great lead slinger while he's still alive.

Sauce likes this.
  7. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

Please Ask him to explain how he chopped that sedan he's standing in the pic with, as well as how he made the removable top. I have never seen a car chopped the way he did that 40 since it was done years ago.
    Double Cool.

AChopped1950ford likes this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

also, ask if he had made up detailed drawings before started, or just figured it out along the way - Ohanesian Mercury has so many details to make it look as good as it looks - no computers, tig welders, etc

9. Torchie

Torchie

No questions. Just let him know that there are still people that appreciate his work.
    Although. I would like to know more about that sedan roof as well.......
    Torchie

AChopped1950ford and 'Mo like this.
  10. 'Mo

'Mo

Amen!

11. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Way cool... I dont have a specific question, but it would be nice to let him know that car guys all over the world are still discussing and admiring his work to this day!

Gotgas and AChopped1950ford like this.
  12. Liberty Garage

Liberty Garage

If you have time ask about former employee Harry Westergard

13. He used to have a sort of unique color mix. Before candy apple was common. Ask him about that. And, maybe ask him how the lift off top on the Ohanesian Merc latched. I've always wondered about that. Thanks.

14. Thanks for your effort. We need more of this for posterity, before the old timers are gone.

Sauce likes this.
  15. Not to take away from Sauces cool project but Rik Hoving interviewed Dick about the car at the 2009 Merc Gathering at Sacramento and wrote an article on it on his CCC site.
    https://www.customcarchronicle.com/cc-builders/dick-bertolucci/ohanesian-merc-details/#.XJ5WI5hKhPY

Torchie likes this.
  16. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

Yes, I would like to know where he learned the trade and who he looked to as a teacher. What his personal likes were toward what was going on in tha automotive world. Did he have a favorit craftsman in the automotive world. Thanks

atomickustom and 'Mo like this.
  17. 'Mo

'Mo

Good questions, Dangerousdan. I was actually checking in to ask the much same.

18. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

I'm looking for to any more information on the interview with these craftsman. These guys are what dreams are made of.

19. atomickustom

atomickustom

If it's not too late: how did he get started? Inspired by magazines, new someone older who did bodywork, or what?

20. Hope he's well.....last we talked - he still was laughing about the 1935 Chevy standard coupe powered by the GMC they built for the club challenge.

Stogy likes this.
  21. It was a family kinda thing.....that's his uncle standing behind my grandpa in his little roadster at my family's shop in Sacramento about 1925. Scan2_0002.jpg .