Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Lookin' for info on RAJO Head T engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mr.chevrolet, Mar 28, 2019.

1. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

i might have an opportunity to buy a T speedster powered by a T engine with a RAJO head, i have no knowledge of these and need info on what to look for before offering $. also, anyone able to throw out a number on its worth? it did run a long time ago, yep, ran when parked. thanks for anything you can give me. mike

Attached Files:

2. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Go online for a group named "FAST" (Ford "A" Speed Technology). These guys are REALLY INTO pre '35 Ford 4cyl engines & the modifications thereof! Don't laugh: there's a couple of them in the "2" club at Bonneville!!!

3. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

That is very cool! RaJo parts were designed and built in Racine Wisconsin, where I was born and raised. I now live just outside the city. Here is a short description of the history:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajo_Motor_and_Manufacturing
    Many years ago I found a RaJo head for a Model T in an a shed on an abandoned farm in Northern Wisconsin.
    CE25E662-6BDF-4F4F-9EB2-DDE9566B30FC.jpeg

loudbang likes this.
  4. brasscarguy

brasscarguy
    from seattle

There are several variations of Rajo's. Go to google and type in Rajo, there are several reprints of original catalogs to help you identify your head. I see it is a 2 port intake which suggests the higher performance head.

I see it has a magneto drive but no mag. So you will need to obtain a 4 cylinder mag. I can not see the car very well it might be a Winfield carburetor from what I see. but maybe not. One issue is these heads are prone to cracking due to abuse . If that is the case, you can expect to spend upwards of a grand to have it welded and machined. You should make sure the engine turns over. cracked heads put water in the cylinders, which can and will get expensive.

I am restoring a Frontenac overhead model t engine, I have budgeted $10,000.00 to include a new counterbalanced crankshaft, a new cam 4 new rods all new bearings and 4 new hi compression pistons. This includes a total restoration of the cylinder head. I was lucky, no cracks. As these overheads had no oiling in the valve train expect that to be worn out and requiring machining new rocker shaft, rocker bushings, valve guides, and valves.

Now for the transmission, the drums are nearly 100 years old and also prone to cracks. they really can't be welded successfully and new ones are available the complete set runs at $1000.00 plus rebushing and machining all triple gears and shafts. Add a couple of grand more to do the transmission right.

Show me some more photos and I will offer a low and high estimate of value. I recently sold 7 model t race cars and speedsters and have a fairly good idea of values in todays market.

For example on the AACA for sale forum there is a "brass" very nice 2 seater speedster with overhead restored and running looks great for 12k. so a older incomplete car does not suggest a big price.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

tractorguy and stanlow69 like this.

5. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

thank you, that's some good info. i don't have a price for the T yet, owner will call this weekend.

10685rusty likes this.
  6. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Mr. Chevrolet: It looks like this car has a Rajo Model C-35 head. It has two intake ports which are on the same side as the exhaust ports. The C-35 is often referred to as a commercial head and was typically used for touring cars, trucks, etc although many did find their way onto speedsters. The carburetor looks like an aluminum, barrel valve Winfield.

Like a lot of race cars, the value of a Model T speedster is largely based on the sum (value) of its parts. The value of the Rajo itself is probably about 1,500.00 to 2,500.00 depending on condition. The Winfield carburetor is another 200-400.00 depending on condition. If the engine is stock on the inside, it doesn't have much value. If it has nicely done A crank conversion, it could be worth 1,000-2,000.00. A two speed rear end (Ruckstell) or an accessory transmission adds value. A set of wire wheels can also be a valuable addition. And so forth....

Post more photos and you will certainly get more responses. Hopefully you are able to purchase this. There is nothing more fun than a Model T speedster. I have built and owned several over the years. Good luck and keep us posted.

7. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

I couldn't find this listed. Can you post a link. Thanks a lot. GZ

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

More photos would be great to see and help put a value on it. Value is in the assembly of parts. I see it has 26-27 t wire wheels and a 26-27 cowl. The front split wishbone looks like it may be a period aftermarket item. Better photos will help. Is the magneto there somewhere? Bob

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019