Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical My "bubba" gotta 700R in his F-1!.......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6sally6, Mar 28, 2019.

1. 6sally6

6sally6

Are ALL these 700R's pooter controlled? (Hope not!)
    He can't tell when it shifts through all the gears(and/or into OD) Will a shift kit help it or do they even make a "kit" for it?!
    Is it like the 4L-60 where it has OD & a lock-up converter?!
    How does he go about "adjusting" it?!
    Hope this doesn't get deleted...after all....it came in his 49 F-1!:D
    6sally6

2. town sedan

town sedan

Didn't think any of the GM 700r transmissions were computer controlled. The transmissions after them were, though.
    -Dave

3. David Chandler

David Chandler

I had one in an 83. And that had a computer. I can't recall if it actually was the mastermind that made it work. I worked with a guy who was a Chevy tech, before he came to GE. I recall he said it controlled the lock up. But that was more than 2 decades ago, so forgive me if I'm mistaken. I recall someone putting one in a earlier vehicle, and being told they had to wire up a switch to the lock up, and run it manually. Mine was slipping and I tossed it for a TH350. Never regretted it. But I didn't do a lot of 60 + mph driving either.

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

5. triumph 1

triumph 1

Just need power @ ground through a switch for torque converter lock up & it should go through a n/c brake switch.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I have used this kit, can be pieced together cheaper but nice to get everything in one package. Locks up in 4th gear and unlocks when you hit the brakes or when it downshifts out of 4th. Simple to install and works, just make sure you get the TV cable adjusted properly which is the most important step for any 200r4 or 700r4. This kit is only for lockup of the converter, line pressure is controlled by the TV cable.
    If you cant feel it shift and your TV cable is not adjusted correctly the trans will not last long.

https://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/catalog/catalog_inc/viewitem.php?ITEMID=332

Hnstray likes this.
  7. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve had 3 700r4’s and a 2004r. No computers on any of them, simple wiring for lock up. IIRC, the valve body was designed for that.

The TV cable is the big deal, both for operation and longevity. Two of mine ran Q jets, and I used the factory brackets, cable etc. that makes it pretty easy. With any other carb, really follow the instructions most carb manufacturers send with the carb/bracket kit.

Hnstray likes this.
  8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I'm no expert however this is what I gleaned when I installed my 700R in my 35 Chebby.
    • Early 700Rs, 4L60s were 1-piece cases, not computer controlled and featured a throttle valve (TV) cable on passenger side behind servo cover. It was critical that the cable geometry at the engine be correct, this ensured that it operated correctly. Tail housing was 4-bolt - A; and
    • Later 4L60Es were computer controlled. Early were 1-piece cases similar to 700R with 4 bolt tail housing, laters were 2-piece cases with removable bell housing and 6 bolt tail housing. Laters don't incorporate TV cables like 700R or 4L60s and featured a TCC electrical plug on passenger side behind servo cover that connected wiring to computer - B.
    Convertors are lockup. I have a 700R with hydraulic lockup, it disengages when brakes are applied. Electric lockup kits are available for earlies. All 4L60Es require a separate stand alone ECM otherwise the transmission won't know what to do. Unlike conventional converters, lockup converters contain a clutch which when engaged, locks the engine to the transmission input shaft providing direct 1:1 drive ratio; i.e. no slippage or additional heat which guarantees the longevity of your transmission. PS. Don't forget to use a quality transmission cooler, too much heat is your enemy and make sure the TV cable is set up correctly.

4L60-v-4L60E (TCC).jpg

Hnstray likes this.